Anyone here explore with an L405?

I do! I take my '21 L405 to all kinds of fun places. In fact, I stumbled on your thread while doing some research for my next overland trip for summer of '23. I'm working on an itinerary from Asheville, NC to Colorado to do the Alpine Loop and some other trails out there.

It's hard to find trip advice and gear for the Range Rover because so few people seem to be willing to do it. But man, this vehicle has taken me anywhere and everywhere I've ever wanted to go, so I plan to use it!

Attachments

• IMG_6700.jpeg
    IMG_6700.jpeg
    701 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5892.jpeg
    IMG_5892.jpeg
    673.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5817.jpeg
    IMG_5817.jpeg
    690.8 KB · Views: 72

SkiWill

I do! I take my '21 L405 to all kinds of fun places. In fact, I stumbled on your thread while doing some research for my next overland trip for summer of '23. I'm working on an itinerary from Asheville, NC to Colorado to do the Alpine Loop and some other trails out there.

It's hard to find trip advice and gear for the Range Rover because so few people seem to be willing to do it. But man, this vehicle has taken me anywhere and everywhere I've ever wanted to go, so I plan to use it!

The Range Rover is remarkably capable and comfortable. It also has larger fuel tank 27.7 gallons as I recall which gives it much better range than my LR4. Good to see someone using it to its full capability. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I've always thought it would be an interesting platform to utilize but it doesn't really have a useful middle seat for three kids in car seats from what I remember, which is a dealbreaker for me.

buyrovers

Adventurer

The Range Rover is remarkably capable and comfortable. It also has larger fuel tank 27.7 gallons as I recall which gives it much better range than my LR4. Good to see someone using it to its full capability. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I've always thought it would be an interesting platform to utilize but it doesn't really have a useful middle seat for three kids in car seats from what I remember, which is a dealbreaker for me.

Yes, the L405's 27 gallon tank was a very nice surprise coming from my LR4. I miss the height of the LR4's cargo area, but otherwise I've been incredibly happy with the Range Rover (I've only got 2 kids, so the backseat is just right for us). It's every bit as capable as the Defender and LR4/Discos, there's just nobody really out there using them to talk about it.

That being said, even though I'm not a very public person, I decided to document the things I find, outfit, and do with my L405 in case others want to do the same.

Last edited:

SkiWill

Get a lwb and you will have the best second row in the market! I have one for sale now ?

Tempting, but it's in Virginia (I'm in Salt Lake) and show me a front facing car seat in the middle without that bulging headrest pushing it off the seat back and somehow convince my kid not to kick the crap out of the center console, and perhaps I'd consider.

@pherplexed Please keep the posts coming. I love seeing Range Rovers out rovering especially since so many people think that they can't and they're only for the valet at a Michelin starred restaurant. If it wasn't for the fact that the LR4 is incredibly useful as a family car as well, I'd strongly consider a Range Rover. I'm sure you also get some pretty good looks out in the backcountry.

buyrovers

Adventurer
Never tried a car seat in the middle. I don’t think the headrest would be a problem but the center console is there so not much that can be done about that. They wouldn’t hurt the top but they might adjust the rear climate with their feet?

FIB319

Hi
I am hoping to do the same to/with my 16 4.4sdv8
Are those Thule 150 cross bars?
Also what size Rhino Rack is that?
Thanks in advance

Hi
I am hoping to do the same to/with my 16 4.4sdv8
Are those Thule 150 cross bars?
Also what size Rhino Rack is that?
Thanks in advance
Yeah, Thule cross bars on the factory rails...with a Rhino Rack pioneer platform. I typically keep a ROAM 83L rugged case up there for recovery gear and my maxtrax for adventure rides. Then can easily swap them for ski racks in winter and bike rack during summer.

Attachments

• IMG_1262.jpeg
    IMG_1262.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Tempting, but it's in Virginia (I'm in Salt Lake) and show me a front facing car seat in the middle without that bulging headrest pushing it off the seat back and somehow convince my kid not to kick the crap out of the center console, and perhaps I'd consider.

@pherplexed Please keep the posts coming. I love seeing Range Rovers out rovering especially since so many people think that they can't and they're only for the valet at a Michelin starred restaurant. If it wasn't for the fact that the LR4 is incredibly useful as a family car as well, I'd strongly consider a Range Rover. I'm sure you also get some pretty good looks out in the backcountry.
I took the L405 on a cross country drive from SC to Colorado for a week of off-roading, then up to South Dakota and back this summer. No kids on this trip – just two adults – but I had it fully loaded in the back with electric cooler; supplies; tools; luggage; and gear; along with fully loaded roof rack with recovery gear and maxtrax boards. It preformed beautifully. Not a single issue throughout the 5,000 trip.

I'm obviously a fan, but I was blown away at the capability on and off-road. It's the ultimate vehicle for the task. It's supremely comfortable on the highway portions and it did five days of rugged trails, including most of the Alpine Loop, without even flinching (although my knuckles were white on a few sections).

We often had an audience and a lot of strange looks when traversing the more challenging sections. But we always cleared them and then got lots of high fives.

Here are a few highlights (and some others on this thread)

IMG_1160.JPG

IMG_1092.jpeg

IMG_1199.jpeg

IMG_1275.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 3.08.32 PM.png

RoverFan

Stop it, you’re making me want to trade my LR4 in for a td6 one.
I'd say ditto if I hadn't rung my hands over the same decision a year ago. Once I thought about it for a while I realized the V8 LR4 was the way to go. It is much easier to modify and, with any available bumpers, has far superior angles. The tire choices and price canyon were big factors me as well. If you are only going through the forestry roads, desert, etc. though, the L405 is much nicer on the road. Just plan to replace tires a lot if you get in the rough stuff. A L322 5.0 SC is the best of both worlds, but inferior to the L405 on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior