Anyone installed a Kenwood 281 in-dash?

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
With the speaker on front this seems like a viable option. The FJC has a double din factory stereo, toying with the idea of installing a single DIN stereo and a Kenwood 281 in that space. The Kenwood is smaller than standard DIN size, not sure what is the best way to deal with that.

Of course, heat buildup is a concern. But this will be for trail comms, not general yakking, so I don't expect many lengthy transmissions.

I would appreciate thoughts on install tech, and if this is just a plain Bad Idea from the ventilation standpoint.

Longrange308

Adventurer
I considered it in my Xterra, though I ultimately decided to install it under the center stalk instead. It was a much better option overall in terms of heat dissipation, access to the unit to pull it out if needed and to the antenna and power connections in the back.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Yeah... in my Trooper I have the 2M screwed to the side of the center console, which actually works pretty well... except I can't slide the passenger seat all the way forward if needed. The CB is in the dash, but since I am going away from CB I would rather have the 2M in the most prominent spot if it will work there.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Awesome, thanks. Did you do anything special to mount it? Looks like it is 6.3" wide, so I guess a 3/8" shim on each side might do the trick. What about a bezel?

gahi

Adventurer
I did use nylon spacers and longer mounting screws. For the bezel I just left it open. Hardly noticable from an angle, straight on you can see it. I have a pic somewhere. (or I should just go snap another)

gahi

Adventurer
20150726_200533_zpstwmpwn00.jpg

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Hey, matching Kenwoods!

Thanks for the pic, I am definitely leaning toward doing the in-dash install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94