Anyone know of a RTT size or custom order UL goose down quilt?

I would like to find a company that specializes in ultralight goose down quilts (they usually primarily make hammock quilts). I want one for my Tepui Autana 3, which would tentatively be 60"x92" (wider than footprint to account for lofting). Anyone know of a company that makes custom size quilts? I have a hammock gear burrow 0* and marmot trestles 20* that, combined, got me comfortable down to a -10* night but it was hard to keep everything on top because the fabric is very slippery. A custom size quilt would be great for sleeping two to share body heat, and still be compressible unlike the heavy blankets I have right now. Thanks!

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I have three down quilts for my RTTs and my favorite is the JackRBetter Katahdin. Size is about 65w x 85 long and i don’t get drafts when tossing and turning. Rated for zero and only costs about $350 (which is less than most high-end makers charge).

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Oh yeah...I emailed them about that recently because I wanted a second one (I sleep in it both at home in the winter and keep it in the RTT during camping season). This is what they told me:

"I looked up your order and you purchased A Katahdin quilt 85” x 61”.

We do not offer these because we have had issues sourcing materiel that is wide enough to make the quilt. Our plan after our super busy period (April-June) is to redesign how we make the quilt so we can make it out of our regular materiel.

I hope we have them available by the end of summer or sooner."

She also said that they will be making them in 0º, 20º, and probably 40º when they finalize the redesign. I will be picking up a 40º version to use in the house when they become available again.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Hammock gear won’t make a custom one? They made me one, 5 or 6 years ago though.

Try zpacks, underground quilts, feathered friends, and maybe Dutch wear gear could give you some ideas too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the information. I had ordered one from a one-man-shop that made great stuff but between paying and delivery he tragically and suddenly died. This was October of 2018. I havent't contacted hammock gear specifically inquiring about a custom size yet. Jacobconroy I will check out your local place. Many thanks. More suggestions are welcome!

llamalander

if you don't want extra slippery technical fabric, would you consider buying a king-size comforter and having a seamstress cut it dow to size? Might be a few pounds more than a "camping quilt" but probably has the same feathers you want...

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
if you don't want extra slippery technical fabric, would you consider buying a king-size comforter and having a seamstress cut it dow to size? Might be a few pounds more than a "camping quilt" but probably has the same feathers you want...

I did this for the house after getting tired of moving my favorite quilt back and forth between the RTT. Just bought a run-of-the-mill king-size down comforter and paid a local seamstress to sew up the bottom (into a footwell).

Works great and saved me several hundred bucks. I will admit that the KMart comforter is sewn-through though (no baffles) and pretty heavy as well.

As I said above, when Katahdin becomes available again I will buy a 40º for the house. It is more comfortable than the KMart version (lighter and I think that the "slippery fabric" is comfy). Hard to beat at $350.00 and when they are making them they are in stock and ready to ship pretty much all the time. Or at least WERE always available.

I've bought a lot of stuff from ZPacks, but never a quilt. I'd guess that something from ZPacks in the size you want is going to be well north of $600.00 but could be wrong. That, and you will probably get in in Sept if ordering this time of year. :(

ttengineer

Adventurer
The cost is really going to depend on fabric and fill power.

A 900+ hydrophobic down fill will be $$$$$. But a regular run of the mill 600+ won’t be very expensive, but it will be very heavy.

Fabric cost will also differ with performance requirements and weight.

Last I heard though zpacks was getting picky about custom work. A quilt may be different though.

Feathered Friends in Seattle May be your best bet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
The cost is really going to depend on fabric and fill power.

A 900+ hydrophobic down fill will be $$$$$. But a regular run of the mill 600+ won’t be very expensive, but it will be very heavy.

Fabric cost will also differ with performance requirements and weight.

Last I heard though zpacks was getting picky about custom work. A quilt may be different though.

Feathered Friends in Seattle May be your best bet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good points. I doubt that either ZPacks or Feathered Freinds would do anything under 850 fill. If they would do a custom quilt at 600 fill I’d be interested in that.

I have a "run of the mill" comforter now and when I pack it, it takes up a LOT of room. I can fit it into a 60L stuff sack but it hardly compresses at all. And the pillows take up another 50L. They work fine, but I want to save room, and of all the things rolling around in the back of my vehicle, those two sacks are currently the most annoying. That's the whole reason I'm looking for an ultralight-style quilt with RTT dimensions.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I completely get that.

It’s not going to be cheap though.

If you want light, you’ll need 800+ down. If you want warm you’ll probably need 17+ oz of fill, depending on quilt dimensions. And then there is the fabric. You’ll want a down proof poly, and I’d shoot for something that’s less than 2oz/yrd.

I use a polyester fitted sheet, a flat sheet, a fleece blanket, and a down comforter, and it has kept me warm to the 30s. If it’s colder I’ll take my down jacket, down sleeping bag, down beanie, and long underwear as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spressomon

Expedition Leader
We have a Feathered Friends for RTT & trailer I special ordered with nylon cover...got tired of trying to dry out cotton covers for all things camping. Its about 10-years old and even though well over a hundred nights in it...and being stored in the Columbus much of the time (yeah, I know ?) its been worth the chinga on all fronts.

Link: https://featheredfriends.com/collections/down-bedding

Last edited:

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
We have a Feathered Friends for RTT & trailer I special ordered with nylon cover...got tired of trying to dry out cotton covers for all things camping. Its about 10-years old and even though well over a hundred nights in it...and being stored in the Columbus much of the time (yeah, I know ?) its been worth the chinga on all fronts.

Why shouldn’t it be stored in the RTT? Heat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne