Anyone own a small D/S bike?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Just wondering what the opinions are of small d/s bikes. I've been thinking about getting a d/s for quite a while but most of the people I ride with assume that I'd need at least something like a KLR 650 to get around. My thought is that for a commuter/light trail bike a 200/250 class bike should be fine but I'm curious to know what people's "real world" experiences are.

I don't need a big bike, I already have a 750 road bike so I'm not really looking for an "adventure" bike like a BMW or a V-strom. My thought is something like a Yamaha TW200 (love the funky fat tires!), XT225 or Suzuki DR200 would be good enough for me, fairly cheap to buy and cheap to fuel up, and good enough for 200-300 mile day trips to the mountains.

I think it would be a fun ride, plus I like the idea of being able to "do more with less."

My dream would be to find a "leftover" (i.e. a 2005, 06 or 07 still on the showroom floor and sold as new) that way I'd get a discount price + the full warranty.

Anyway, I'd like to hear about "small bike" experiences.

Speaker

Adventurer
So by small DS do you mean something like a TW 200, dr350 type bike... or a KTM 250 with a plate?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Speaker said:
So by small DS do you mean something like a TW 200, dr350 type bike... or a KTM 250 with a plate?

I have no desire to try to jump through the hoops neccessary to get a non-street legal bike plated here in CO (although I've heard the process is fairly easy.) So I'd be looking at something like a TW200, XT225, DR200, KLR250, etc (does Honda make anything in this category?) Would like to stay under 300cc if possible, though the DR350 is a good bike and I've ridden one quite a bit. Possibly looking at buying new or leftover-new if I can swing it.

lqhikers

Adventurer
Dual sport my thoughts

I have always ridden some type of bike and since the years have passed our riding has turned into exploring the back country and as a back up as we do 99% of our trips by ourself.when i changed to a dual sport i started with a 650klr and rode it for 7 plus years without a bit of trouble.the only problem i found was that it tired you out in rough/soft stuff due to the weight.If you are on the short side a 650 is a tall bike (i'm 6'1")so had no problem.
Being realistic i sold the 650 and replaced it with a new 250klr in 2005 and have been riding it since.Off the road it does everything i want on the road you can still cruise at 55-60 with no problem.
The main benefit of a street legal dual sport is that you can go anywhere a street legal vehicle is allowed (state parks, Death valley, Borrego state park etc.)
And yes we ride double most of the time and the bike handles it fine.(i'm 175 and don't dare ask what the wife is but is a bunch less than me!)
hope this gives you some help.
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les Lqhikers

shahram

Adventurer
I have an '90 Yamaha XT350 that I've acquired recently. As I've learned, it's a pretty peppy little bike, short enough for my stubby legs, and capable as a mountain goat on the trail. I'm 5'9", 245 lbs, and it hauls my ***. As for reliability, allegedly they're bulletproof. They are also really easy to work on with standard hand tools, as I've worked on it myself with much success, and I'm about as useful as a pecker on the pope when it comes to wrenching. Yamaha made this bike from 1985 to 2000, without changing anything but the color of the plastic.

Stock OEM parts are cheap as they come, and available everywhere, but the aftermarket for the bike is severely lacking, and in terms of performance, the bike isn't a motocross bike by any means. It will put down highway miles in a pinch, but it isn't a GS1100 either. It's a kick-start only bike, so no magic button. It's a straight-forward, classic dual sport, easy to fix, reliable, and simple. It won't win any races, but it'll likely finish.

XT350-6.jpg

(photo not mine)

jkam

nomadic man
I ride a Super Sherpa. It's a 250 and gets around just fine.
I like it alot better than the KLR250. It has a rear disc brake, electric start, better suspension and some other features not found on the KLR250.

I looked at the new Yamaha XT250 and almost bought one but saved a couple of grand by getting the SS used.

If you want new, look at the XT or Honda now has the CRF230 in a dualsport.
If you want used look at the Super Sherpa or DR350.

Either way, you should have no problem keeping up with the riding friends on the dirt.

My SS will do 65 mph all day long on the highway and get 70 mpg.

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
I ride a 96 Honda XR250R and if ya ask anyone they will tell you they are bulletproof, reliable, unbreakable bikes. Ive put mine through more $#!& than i care to remember and it still lugs my fat butt around. I took it to Moab last month for a full week of hard trail riding and put on about 25-30 unexpected hwy miles and was pleasantly surprised at how well it did. I maintained about 65mph on the hwy with trail gearing and could have hit 75+ had i changed the sprockets a bit. The air cooled motors have awesome power and are always quick to start (im beginning to sound like a honda commercial lol). Most have already been plated so you shouldnt have too much trouble finding one thats street legal. Another option is an older xr250L, factory street legal kit.

My $.02, i just love em, wont ride anything else.....except maybe an '08 KTM but shhhhhh, dont tell.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
jkam said:
I ride a Super Sherpa. It's a 250 and gets around just fine.

The Super Sherpa is on my short list. Sweet looking bike! Saw one for sale locally for $2100 but don't have the cash right now, darn it! :( The TW200 is another one I like, they are a bit more common than the Super Sherpa owing to the fact that they have remained pretty much unchanged from 1989 to the present (except that the disc brake was added and the kick starter dropped in 2001.)

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I have been riding a 1992 Yamaha XT225 for the past many years; it now has over 10,000 miles on it. It has been absolutely trouble free - other than I have had to keep an eye on the rear wheel spokes. For some reason I manage to find a few of them loose on occasion. At the time I bought it, I also had a Honda XL500 and XR600. All of them were good bikes - but for an all-around machine that was easy to handle in the rough stuff - where I spend a good portion of my time - the XT225 is tops. The bigger bikes were great on good, smooth roads and trails but when the going was slow and rough their bigger size was a big liability. The seat height on the XT was a good 6 inches lower than the seat on the XR and that alone was a big plus! So now I have only the XT225 left.
From what I've read and heard, any of the bikes from Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda or Kawasaki are pretty much bulletproof any more if decently maintained. It's up to you to decide what is most important to you - the slower speed and easier handling of a smaller bike or the high-speed handling and power of a bigger machine.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Thanks, Honda only imported them from 88-90 in small numbers. They are quite rare and unique. Its a dual overhead cam, liquid cooled, 6 speed motor. Why they didn't put these in the XR chassis I'll never know.

Here is what it looks like stock...

231294229_6oGZW-L.jpg

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I'm guessing that it makes a bit more power than my '91 XR250L does. I really like my XR, but freeway speeds work it pretty hard. Gearing it up might help, but 1st is borderline for trail work now. I think a diet is what it really needs.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
ntsqd said:
I'm guessing that it makes a bit more power than my '91 XR250L does. I really like my XR, but freeway speeds work it pretty hard. Gearing it up might help, but 1st is borderline for trail work now. I think a diet is what it really needs.

Ya, my riding buddy has a mint condition 96 XR250L. His has better low end torque but the NX does much better on the hwy and interstate. I can easily cruise at 70mph, it hits redline (9k) at 85 mph.
The XRL has much better suspension for offroad, the NX is fine for gravel/dirt roads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior