Anyone own this 270 degree awning sold on eBay?

1Louder

Explorer
I posted this in the Camping Equipment forum but have deleted that thread. One response was received from an owner with a similar but not exact model who gave it a good review for the money.

Awning Camping Geo Adventure Gear Manta Awning GAM-250 $265.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Awning-Camp...ing-GAM-250-/251855797252?hash=item3aa3c67c04 (new listing link)

Cost is way less than the most well known one. There may be quality differences I'm sure. With that said like RTT all of them are made in China. I know there are varying degrees of quality coming out of different factories. A friend owns an RTT from this company. While I didn't give it the complete teardown on our last camping trip it did look like it was good quality. Appreciate feedback from owners only and not feedback on only buying a different competitors product. We are all well versed in the value of certain brand names.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:

Maxcustody

Explorer
Chris, I don't have one but was interested in taking a look at it. I clicked on the link and it says it has been removed.......

Sent from my Roof Top Tent

Ivan

Lost in Space
Wait, isnt this the same company owned/ran by the guys from Costa Rica in episode 10 of this season of Expo Overland's show?

wildo

I bought my RTT from Geo Adventure gear for my Jeep while I was living in Costa Rica and spent a few nights in it. I'd say the quality was good at first inspection. I didn't have enough time in the tent in incremental weather to give it a thumbs up. What the boys there told me was that their factory was in China and the brand is Venezuelan.

Regarding Costa Rica, they are like the only full retail store for off road/overland hear and equipment.

wildo

I did notice the fabric being 'thinner' than say an ARB tent which felt twice as thick. Like a canvas material (ARB) versus a parachute rip stop material (Geo).

lugueto

Adventurer
What the boys there told me was that their factory was in China and the brand is Venezuelan.

This is totally true.

I haven't seen the first one in Venezuela yet, maybe they're selling those exclusively overseas?

While most of the manufacturers are in China, I wouldn't pair them with any of the big names (not even close) as far as quality goes. But I suppose it will get the job done for less.

aero

Adventurer
I started out building my own bat/fox/manta wing awning, the frame was pretty simple, but finding someone to sew a lightweight material was the impossible part. I had no luck then tried on my own, which also did not work out well.

I saw that awning a few days ago when someone posted it on another forum, and wish I would've seen it before and went with it. I have about $100 into my frame as it is now, which I am not too worried about if I just scrap it and buy one thats already done. But going into winter I am doubting I'd use it much and will probably wait until spring to pull the trigger, unless I find some way to secure the fabric without having to sew it.

Mitch502

Explorer
I started out building my own bat/fox/manta wing awning, the frame was pretty simple, but finding someone to sew a lightweight material was the impossible part. I had no luck then tried on my own, which also did not work out well.

I saw that awning a few days ago when someone posted it on another forum, and wish I would've seen it before and went with it. I have about $100 into my frame as it is now, which I am not too worried about if I just scrap it and buy one thats already done. But going into winter I am doubting I'd use it much and will probably wait until spring to pull the trigger, unless I find some way to secure the fabric without having to sew it.

What about self sticking Velcro? Sew it to the fabric side, and stick it to the frame side? This is how I hold my RTT fabric on, and it works great.

Cobra_R

Adventurer
I'll give it a try. I don't have anything to compare it too though as I've never had a vehicle mounted awning before or seen anybody with one in person.

Aaron Wasson

In the rear with the gear
That looks like the one that I have. I bought a homemade off-road trailer recently and there was a 270 that came with it. Ill just go ahead and tell you my thoughts.

Save your money for a better one.

The aluminum supports that hold the canvas up are too thin walled. The first time I actually was able to use the awning, wind caught it during setup and bent the mounting bolt for the wings, and the supports themselves. I just finished straightening them out today to use the trailer this weekend. The legs that come with do extend, but I always seem to have them extended to their limits, which never feels safe. I'm honestly considering taking it off the trailer, and installing an ARB with side walls.

I can get a full picture of it setup this afternoon if someone wants to see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94