Anyone repack their own wheel bearings?

Bris31

Adventurer
I haven't done but perhaps this thread may help:

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Do my own all the time.
Don't really need special tools other than the spanner to undo the hub bearing nuts. "In a pinch" you can by using a hammer and punch. The job is easy to do but can be messy, That thread above shows a home made hub nut spanner similar to the one I made and use.

Dan.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Looks like you need special tools to do it in the manual. Doesn’t look easy to me.
It's not that bad. If you want the special tools, fab up a hub nut removal tool and buy a spring scale (like you use to weigh fish), otherwise just use a punch and hand tighten.

I kept my old bearings to use as spares. Go ahead and pack them with grease and sneak into the kitchen and use the vacuum sealer to store them when your wife isn't looking.

biggoolies

Adventurer
I can just have the shop do it at a premium obviously but if it is one thing I want to learn about the truck and to do myself is the front end repairs

biggoolies

Adventurer
There is no tool on the market I can buy? I don’t have a welder. By the way I hope to see some of you at the BC overland rally. I will be a presenter. Maybe you can bring your tool(s) ;-)

pugslyyy

Looks like that could work with modification. I don't think it will be deep enough - you would have to use some longer bolts instead of the short studs they provide.
Honestly, I would just try to make something...you can probably get something to work with a couple of bolts and piece of angle iron without a welder. Or just get a 2-3/4 hub nut socket and grind away until you get the 2 nubs you need.

The fish scale is used to set the starting torque of the wheel hub bearing by measuring tangential force at the hub bolt (4-7.7 lbs). It's a actually a really easy way to make sure your hub are on correctly.

biggoolies

Adventurer
Would this work?
Looks like that could work with modification. I don't think it will be deep enough - you would have to use some longer bolts instead of the short studs they provide.
Honestly, I would just try to make something...you can probably get something to work with a couple of bolts and piece of angle iron without a welder. Or just get a 2-3/4 hub nut socket and grind away until you get the 2 nubs you need.

The fish scale is used to set the starting torque of the wheel hub bearing by measuring tangential force at the hub bolt (4-7.7 lbs). It's a actually a really easy way to make sure your hub are on correctly.
View attachment 519528
Thanks for the info! Very helpful. You are helping taking the fear away of doing it myself.

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Seals for front wheel bearing for a repack or front wheel bearing kit if you need them to be replaced.
A good pair of circlip pliers to take the circlip off the drive axle.
Wheel bearing grease.
Brake shoes, brake cylinders.
Degreaser ,gloves and dont forget hand cleaner lol
Its not a bad job just take your time and just remember the drum is heavy .

pugslyyy

Different. Timken 30211M and 30212M if I remember correctly. I changed mine out but kept the old ones as spares. For me it was worth it to order name-brand, YMMV.

shade

I'm unfamiliar with the packing procedure for these hubs, but I've found that using a bearing grease packer speeds up the process while helping make sure I didn't miss a spot. I know it can be done by hand, but if someone has a recommendation, it might help the OP out.

pugslyyy

Yep, a bearing packer speeds the job for sure. I've done plenty of bearings by hand but if I have more than one to do I'm pulling out the bearing packer.

There are lots of different versions out there, but this type works best for me - https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-65250-Bearing-Packer/dp/B0002NYDYY/

If you use serious amounts of grease (I have tractor, backhoe, etc in addition to lots of vehicles), a bulk load pneumatic grease pump is one of the best tools you will ever buy - https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-T26748-Operated-Grease-Pump/dp/B07KGJ259Z/

I'm unfamiliar with the packing procedure for these hubs, but I've found that using a bearing grease packer speeds up the process while helping make sure I didn't miss a spot. I know it can be done by hand, but if someone has a recommendation, it might help the OP out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles