Anyone used one of these - Deadman Sand Anchor

Geo.Lander

not with a truck, but the deadman is a stable mountaineering and glacier anchor (with skis, backpack, etc), same concept I suppose..

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Looks like that they did second time round on the video. It's better to angle the tyre a bit off vertical, especially in sand. Best way to tie the strap is run the strap around the tyre and thread the two ends through the centre, not the way those guys did it.

Burying the tyre quite easy for those small tyres, but my tyres are 115kg, I'd need my crane to lift it back out of a hole over a metre deep. Then there are the guys with the 395/85R20 with tyres that weigh over 200kg, getting them out of a hole will be quite a mission.

I think I will get one of them for the recovery kit, hopefully something I need need to use.

I have used them in the Deadman in the mud. I like it, as my spare tire lives in the factory holder I would have to jack up the truck to get it out. It would have been messy.

Iain, 395s are 100kg plus wheel (steel 53, Hutchinson 38) and internal beadlock (maybe 7). So 145kg in my current configuration.
I carry 3 Pull-Pal anchors. 2 x 14000 lb and 1 11000 lb.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
The steel wheels that come with the ADF Unimogs are quite a bit heavier than the Hutchinsons according to the guys from the Outfit. They say theirs are 200kg.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I have one but have not had an 'opportunity' to use it. But I can say it is extremely well made, with a lot of thought into the layout of the way the straps connect to get a 'sharp' angle when pulling, super light and compact compared to other metal anchors. A seat of the pants guess, it probably will work great with my Gladiator (<6500 lbs), but more than one need for my Kodiak (>15,000 lbs).

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I contacted Deadman over in the USA about whether they think it would be suitable for our 8 ton truck. I got this response.

Your amazing truck would fall within the recommended weight rating of the current Deadman, however the footprint is on the small side for your truck for the in ground recoveries. It will work, you just need to dig a very deep hole. We are currently working on creating a larger Deadman for the big boys like yours. Hopefully we will have it done sometime in Q4 of this year. Keep an eye out on instagram for when they are available.

https://www.instagram.com/deadman_offroad/?hl=en
That is great customer service, and I will wait until the bigger model comes out.

RoamIt

Definitely interested in one, er. probably two, of these. The weight savings over a land anchor is huge.

Geo.Lander

On the subject of self recovery, I am looking at a 800-1600kgs Tirfor winch eventually.. all based on the wise words of Mr Ritter, some interesting and for me not very well circulated knowledge about recovery etc from the vid below..

RoamIt

All great info, never heard of the Tirfor. I'm probably still going to have a winch, whether electric or driven off PTO. I've seen them used to drag downed trees/large rocks out of the way, etc. so other uses besides recovery.
I already have a heavy duty come-along, which is similar to the Tirfor. I imagine that combined with the winch, Deadman anchors, I should be able to self recover, if it's at all possible.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I had a Tirfor for a few years as well, and like Pete says, its hard work. They are very heavy to carry around, almost as heavy as an electric winch with synthetic rope. The main advantage as they said in the video, is the ability to attach from any angle, but I found that the attachment point are almost always the front of back of the vehicle. I carry a couple of snatch blocks, and have a winch front and rear. I'm pretty confident that I could rig up a way to pull me out of most situations, it might take a lot of time. My biggest fear is laying the truck over on it's side, I think there was a thread here about a couple whole layed their camper over when the side of the road collapsed. Trying to get it back on it's wheels may take a while and lots of digging if we were very remote and by ourselves, but that's where the EPIRBs and PLB come in.

Reactions: mog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles