Anyone using Cooper AT3 XLT tires?

ultraclyde

Observer
FWIW I had my standard AT3s in some serious slick mud last weekend and they had way more traction than they had any right to. I was happily surprised. Aired down to 20psi all around on a 3800lb rig, the C rated tires did great on road transits and off in the muck.

Just thought I'd share since the thread popped up on the new posts list.

snowfiend

I had 285/75/17 Cooper AT3 XLT's put on my F150 yesterday. They look great and ride smooth and quiet. I didn't realize just how loud the old AT3's were until the new ones went on, but I am happy with the wear at 45k miles even though they are rated 55k. I don't like to run them all the way down anyways.
Quick update after a month and ~1000 miles: not as happy with them as I was initially. I can no longer call this a quiet tire and I attribute this to the new "aggressive" sidewall. I really liked the outgoing AT3 because it had a good mix of AT tread with good road manners, this seems like a entirely different tire (which it is!). MT sound with AT performance is not ideal.

Aired it down to 30 psi while hunting, rode ok but I was worried about going lower with my 7.5" rims. The 285/75/17 is rated for a 7.5-9.5" wheel but has much more sidewall bulge that the old 285/70/17 AT3 on the same wheels.

I may take advantage of the 45 day test drive window and try the Falken Wildpeak AT3W or see if I can get a set of the outgoing regular AT3.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Quick update after a month and ~1000 miles: not as happy with them as I was initially. I can no longer call this a quiet tire and I attribute this to the new "aggressive" sidewall. I really liked the outgoing AT3 because it had a good mix of AT tread with good road manners, this seems like a entirely different tire (which it is!). MT sound with AT performance is not ideal.

Aired it down to 30 psi while hunting, rode ok but I was worried about going lower with my 7.5" rims. The 285/75/17 is rated for a 7.5-9.5" wheel but has much more sidewall bulge that the old 285/70/17 AT3 on the same wheels.

I may take advantage of the 45 day test drive window and try the Falken Wildpeak AT3W or see if I can get a set of the outgoing regular AT3.

That's interesting and thank you for the update. I just got mine mounted on my rims (not on the truck yet), I was hoping they would be as quiet as they look.
IMG_2705-XL.jpg

Jack

snowfiend

That's interesting and thank you for the update. I just got mine mounted on my rims (not on the truck yet), I was hoping they would be as quiet as they look.

Jack
Let me clarify that they are real quiet up to 55 mph then get loud quick. And I know one man's loud is another's quiet but my comparison is to the outgoing AT3 model not other brands. I called Cooper and I am still within the 45 day test drive window if I want to return or exchange, just not sure I want to do that yet. Nothing wrong with the tires but if I have the noise I might as well get an MT.
Edit: noise was failing diff bearings, not tires. Disregard.

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Let me clarify that they are real quiet up to 55 mph then get loud quick. And I know one man's loud is another's quiet but my comparison is to the outgoing AT3 model not other brands. I called Cooper and I am still within the 45 day test drive window if I want to return or exchange, just not sure I want to do that yet. Nothing wrong with the tires but if I have the noise I might as well get an MT.

I was able to get mine mounted and take it for a test drive. While it was only a short drive, I was impressed with how quiet and smooth they were. That of course is subject to change, but they are definitely quieter than my ST Maxx's.
IMG_2726-L.jpg

Jack

sargeek

Adventurer
Wow pretty interesting looking at Coopers Website - I applaude them for actually showing their priviate branded tires they make for Pep Boys and Discount Tire. Most of the manufactures hide their private lable tires.

However - what is the real diffference between the AT3, AT3LT, and the AT3XLT? Must be a change in the tire compount for the heavy trucks?

Reactions: CCH

pittsburgh

tacocat
Any updates on the AT3 XLT's, after moving back to Pittsburgh I am not terribly thrilled with the BFG KO2's performance on wet pavement. Living in Colorado I didn't see nearly as much rain lol.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I was able to get mine mounted and take it for a test drive. While it was only a short drive, I was impressed with how quiet and smooth they were. That of course is subject to change, but they are definitely quieter than my ST Maxx's.
IMG_2726-L.jpg

Jack
Nice setup Jack.

snowfiend

Well, developments this week have changed my mind on these tires (again). Turns out the "tire noise" I was complaining about was actually the front differential bearings going out along with one of the front hubs stuck locked. Put 100 miles on it today after repair and it's pretty quiet.

My guess is the noise from the worn tires covered up the diff noise and once I put on the new tires I wrongly attributed the increased noise to the tires. Sorry Cooper.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Glad to hear that you got the problem figured out.

I’ve only made it about 500 miles and the tires are still very quiet. Still liking them so far, handle the truck/camper weight very well with no tread squirm or “looseness.”

Jack

ultraclyde

Observer
Just upgraded the old Jeep to a low mile 2013 F150 FX4 that is finishing out its OEM Wrangler highway tires. Man they are like racing slicks in the mud. I'll be putting on either the AT3 XLTs or the ATP. I love the way it rides currently on the highway with the ST load tires, so I'm leaning toward the ATP which has the same load rating (but looks really tame) vs the E-rated XLTs. Anyone have a comment on how the XLTs ride? I'd really like to have the look but I'm not sure I'll trade comfort for it since I'm not towing more than about 4k lbs or heavy-loading the truck regularly.

lowrider1

I had 265 70-16 AT3's on my Frontier and they handled good and handled snow and mud pretty well but I only got 38K on them and that was pushing it.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Just upgraded the old Jeep to a low mile 2013 F150 FX4 that is finishing out its OEM Wrangler highway tires. Man they are like racing slicks in the mud. I'll be putting on either the AT3 XLTs or the ATP. I love the way it rides currently on the highway with the ST load tires, so I'm leaning toward the ATP which has the same load rating (but looks really tame) vs the E-rated XLTs. Anyone have a comment on how the XLTs ride? I'd really like to have the look but I'm not sure I'll trade comfort for it since I'm not towing more than about 4k lbs or heavy-loading the truck regularly.
Stick with an E-rated tire especially since you tow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000