App or program to draw schematics.

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
I've seen some really cool drawing of your wiring systems on this site and wanted to know what app or program you are using to draw these. I am looking for something that has the correct symbols for 12v dc systems, including fuses, buss bars and fixtures. I would like it also to be inexpensive since I will be using it rarely.

Thank you for your help.

tracknod

Observer
I've seen some really cool drawing of your wiring systems on this site and wanted to know what app or program you are using to draw these. I am looking for something that has the correct symbols for 12v dc systems, including fuses, buss bars and fixtures. I would like it also to be inexpensive since I will be using it rarely.

Thank you for your help.

There is iCircuit for the iPad and iPhone... it's ten bucks. That might work for ya but I don't know if it has 12v.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I use Paint.NET in Windows. It's a freebie (but damned good) Photoshop clone. I like layers. I use Pinta in Linux, which is a Paint.NET clone.

For pro stuff, which I don't really do anymore, Visio was good enough.

But none of those are actually designed for doing circuit diagrams, just what I use for simple stuff. Back in the day when I actually did wireplans, the hottest microcomputer was an IBM PC with a 286 processor and 512k RAM, so I used pen and paper.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Last edited:

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
There is iCircuit for the iPad and iPhone... it's ten bucks. That might work for ya but I don't know if it has 12v.
I had seen this. I will look into it.

I use Paint.NET in Windows. It's a freebie (but damned good) Photoshop clone. I like layers. I use Pinta in Linux, which is a Paint.NET clone.

For pro stuff, which I don't really do anymore, Visio was good enough.

But none of those are actually designed for doing circuit diagrams, just what I use for simple stuff. Back in the day when I actually did wireplans, the hottest microcomputer was an IBM PC with a 286 processor and 512k RAM, so I used pen and paper.
I have apple products but I will look into this.

LtSpice works for me.
Thank you.

I use CAD programs, but I kinda use that for a living, so I'm past that learning curve....

This is pretty cool and free, I've used it some but never for a major project.
http://www.digikey.com/schemeit/
Thank you.

Beat me to it, those are what I was gonna post! SchemeIt is very good for this. OpenOffice has a decent enough draw program in it and there's GIMP too. Not Photoshop or Visio but they get the job done.
I have Gimp, is there an add on for the diagrams or am I overthinking it?

I used draftsight to produce mine. It is free for none commercial use. It is a powerful CAD program and over kill for doing most diagrams. I used it because I also do mechanical drawings as well.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
For a very simple diagram I just whip it out in powerpoint.

For something more complex, I use Visio.

For designing actual circuits I use a program called DipTrace. It has the ability to actually layout PCBs.

rayra

Expedition Leader
MS Visio was great for this sort of thing, don't even know if it's available for newer operating systems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles