ARB 63qt fridge questions..

Ps23Rick

Hi all.. I'm new here but recently picked up a new-to-me ARB 63 Qt fridge/freezer. It seems to work but I've not really used it yet outside of my home environment (high desert in the Los Angeles area) where it's generally about 100F daily in the summer.

The thing that messes with my brain is that when there's nothing in it, the display reads one temp reading and my digital thermometer that is hanging off the basket claims a rather different number and I tend to trust it better. Sometimes the two pretty much jive but other times they're 5F different. I put in a Camco fridge fan earlier today and that seems to be helping I believe but should I even be taking these numbers to heart with the fridge completely empty or wait until it's jammed with food before taking the readings seriously? I've monkeyed with the calibration thing and have it +4F (or is that +4C?) on the display and that seems to make the numbers generally closer together.

One odd observation which I assume it just normal behavior is that if I set the desired temp to say 30F, it shoots past that and eventually shuts off and then the temp rises sometimes above that perhaps to something like 34-36 before the compressor kicks in again. Right now I have it set at 30F and its currently displaying 29F and still going colder (the digital fridge thermo from my kitchen fridge is showing 25 at this time too). Eventually it shutoff at 27F (my other thermo still claims 25).. Is this normal?

Also, I'm not planning on putting any ice in there but gather that some people might to perhaps buffer things a bit.. Anyway, I'm leaving tomorrow morning for my first real use of this thing and I guess I'm looking at trying to figure out the best way to get the most out of it and not over analyze it too much, etc..

No, I don't believe any mods have been done to this one -- I do plan to do the different mods posted elsewhere here including insulating the shelf, but it will have to wait til I get back as I just don't have the time to tackle that right now.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions!

Last edited:

No Ma

Wonderer
We have an 82qt and 50qt ARB fridge. Both act the same as yours, especially if empty. No refrigerator is very efficient when empty. The fridge has to be measuring inside wall temps for its controls, so an empty fridge is going to read warmer out in the middle of the empty space. The ARBs do overshoot the control settings by a few degrees. It always cools a few degrees below the set point and always warms up a few degrees above the set point before it kicks in again. I'd guess that most fridges do the same thing. We're very happy with the way our are working for us.

Ps23Rick

ok.. Thanks.. I just wanted to check. I think what you're telling me is that the compressor system is possibly using the side-wall temps to measure the temps but perhaps, just perhaps the thermistor thats in the bottom buried in foam is what drives the display... I can live with that even if my hypothesis is a bit off. Thanks again! I just have to find the happy spot that doesn't get things freezing..

No Ma

Wonderer
When it's not empty, things shouldn't freeze unless you have your temp set very low. I don't know where the internal temp sensors are that control the fridge operation. Unless you have very fragile contents in the refrigerator, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. YMMV.

Ps23Rick

Thanks guys! I think I'm good for now.. I'm not anticipating any surprises on this trip -- none at least from the ARB.. ;)

lugueto

Adventurer
Alot of noncritical appliances do the same thing as conservation measure. Longer run-idle times is usually more efficient.

Agreed, normal behaviour for appliances (AC, Fridges, Freezers, etc)

Don't worry about the accuracy of the thermometer. What matters it that it cools/freezes when set to either setting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94