ARB Bullbar Mods

RSB

Adventurer
right, to get the bumper lower as to prevent rattle and to allow clearance for up-travel. I guess if you did the end-cap mod by not putting the holes in the center of the bracket again—maybe lowering them a bit—this would give a little more clearance too. I didn't think about that then and just put the holes at the same spot when I did mine. I probably could have dropped them another 1/2 - 3/4 in...

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

No we didn't do any mods to it....I think I know what you are talking about "end cap mod" but....got link?

And for you guys with the bar so close to the body....you want it spaced farther off not just to stop a rattle. This is what it looks like when you flex the truck up.

main.php

main.php

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Toyota put mine on shortly after I bought the truck, seriously doubt they did any welding to put it on. They did mention having to cut though....

And good to know about the bolts in the caps. I think I will do mine and since you have figured it out for me I will lower the mounting bolts instead of centering them.....thanks! :victory:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Toyota put mine on shortly after I bought the truck, seriously doubt they did any welding to put it on. They did mention having to cut though....

And good to know about the bolts in the caps. I think I will do mine and since you have figured it out for me I will lower the mounting bolts instead of centering them.....thanks! :victory:

While you could lower the bar by shimming it down at the frame, I think a far cleaner method would be to make adjustments to the slotted holes where the actual bar mounts to the impact frame mounts. I've often done this to 'trim' bumpers just right and there is no reason it couldn't be used to bring a bumper up or down 1/4" or so. If you move the bolt down on the frame, the frame bracket will be hanging below the bottom of the frame, thus you'll have to shim all of those locations.

digitalferg

Adventurer
Speaking of ARB bullbar mods, Kurt, while poking around under your truck the other day, I noticed you have a skid/protective plate underneath that is bolted to the underneath of your ARB bullbar and then bolted to the same spot where the front/upper section of the budbuilt skid attaches (the frame cross-memeber in front of the radiator). Did you make that?--or is it an ARB part? It looked like a nice piece to help protect your winch a bit more from the elements and mud etc.

Anybody else is welcome to answer this of course if you know what i'm talking about... :p Hopefully at least Kurt knows what i'm talking about though... :D

-Ferg-

RSB

Adventurer
good point! I agree. :cool:

While you could lower the bar by shimming it down at the frame, I think a far cleaner method would be to make adjustments to the slotted holes where the actual bar mounts to the impact frame mounts. I've often done this to 'trim' bumpers just right and there is no reason it couldn't be used to bring a bumper up or down 1/4" or so. If you move the bolt down on the frame, the frame bracket will be hanging below the bottom of the frame, thus you'll have to shim all of those locations.

RSB

Adventurer
if I think I know what you're talking about, yes. It's an ARB part to protect the winch from the elements. :sombrero:

Speaking of ARB bullbar mods, Kurt, while poking around under your truck the other day, I noticed you have a skid/protective plate underneath that is bolted to the underneath of your ARB bullbar and then bolted to the same spot where the front/upper section of the budbuilt skid attaches (the frame cross-memeber in front of the radiator). Did you make that?--or is it an ARB part? It looked like a nice piece to help protect your winch a bit more from the elements and mud etc.

Anybody else is welcome to answer this of course if you know what i'm talking about... :p Hopefully at least Kurt knows what i'm talking about though... :D

-Ferg-

cruiseroutfit

Fergasaur, the splash guard is included with their bumpers, connects back to a new cross-member that also works with the factory skid plate. In my case I'm running a modified set of Budbuilt Skids. If you didn't get it with your used bumper lmk and I can get one for you.

PS, you gonn be able to make it to the trip this weekend?

digitalferg

Adventurer
Yep. Thanks guys. Thats what I was talking about. I didn't get that piece with my used bullbar. Will the same one work with the 3rd Gen 4Runner? If so, I'll def be needing one Kurt...just whenever as I'm hoping to be getting a winch within the next couple months.

And to answer your PS, hell yes I'm gonna be making it! Planning on leaving around 2 or 3 tomorrow.

-Ferg-

cruiseroutfit

Yep. Thanks guys. Thats what I was talking about. I didn't get that piece with my used bullbar. Will the same one work with the 3rd Gen 4Runner? If so, I'll def be needing one Kurt...just whenever as I'm hoping to be getting a winch within the next couple months.

And to answer your PS, hell yes I'm gonna be making it! Planning on leaving around 2 or 3 tomorrow.

-Ferg-

Nice, I'll probably be an hour or two behind you. Hoping to slip out around 4 or 5.

digitalferg

Adventurer
Another ARB mod

Picked up a used Tacoma ARB bullbar that needed some work. Got it all finished last Friday just in time to head off into the San Rafael Swell with a few folks. (Had a fantastic time btw! Thanks to all!)

Anyway, I had it sandblasted, then a few tweaks here and there to repair some bent areas, and then had the "Cubillan Bar" added up top and then powder-coated semi-gloss black.

I'm extremely happy with the way it turned out. :smiley_drive:

-Ferg-

2010SRS-001.jpg

Zam15

Explorer
Bump! Any more mods? I know Borrego60 has some....

On mine I added two more antenna mounts, hidden winch box and some fabrication to match my fenders. So this baby is now a one off...
IMAG0240.jpg

IMAG0239.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

I eventually plan to cut out and mount at least two Rigid D2s or something similar on the outer section of the bumper a little in form the turn signals. Most likely where the ARB sticker is. Its angled just enough that it will add some decent width to my light spread. Although its a little low on the list right now. Also plan on swapping out the turn signals for LEDs as well once the current housings die.

51231-51232.jpg

Oh and also grip tape along the whole top of the bumper. Works great, now it's a safe step or when necessary shelf or bar. Understand where the term Bull "Bar" comes from now! :friday:

Last edited:

chmura

Adventurer
Found this recently from Lab Rak Roof Racks.

10986017_1035637273118605_90132917_n.jpg

Fits all arb deluxe bumpers with the fog light assembly. Fits the flush mounted rigid fogs.

Wasatch

Observer
The ARB turn/marker light assemblies could be better... I saw on here somewhere one of you had fitted some nice LED assemblies in lieu of the OEM bits.

Who had those? :coffee:

I did that on my 07' Tacoma. The ARB Signal lights are not too impressive. My housing cracked and let water it, So the bulbs were always going out. SO I installed these in their place (Not me, but I did the exact same thing and it was a GREAT Upgrade):

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/63012-Jsmarine-s-2005-ARB-Tacoma-Build/page3

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
To open a can of worms and a portal into insanity;

How about adding recovery points to the front of a 2nd Gen Tacoma ARB?

Opinions range from "its easy" to "you'll shoot your eye out". How did you do it? Where did you source them? How did you make the mounting location strong enough? Or, how did you find out where or how not to mount them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne