ARB Bumper and accessories for the H3

boblynch

Adventurer
I've heard plenty of complaints from actual owners of other GM products about the lack of quality, durability, and resale value of their vehicles. These complaints are supported by years of bad review and survey results. The Hummer brand also has a majority owner group that never venture off road and their collective lifestyles contribute to the brand’s stereo type. Finally GM has grown into a very bloated, outdated, and mismanaged company (as shown by their plummeting market share and multiple restructuring attempts).

The above statements are my opinion based on a surplus of available facts. However, it's also my opinion that generalized bashing of a vehicle, in this case the poor H3, based on these GM stigmas is unfair.

Is it a capable out of the box SUV? Yes, it's proven itself in multiple well respected tests. Does it have specific flaws that could be improved upon for overland use? Yes, it could use far better visibility, a small diesel engine, and better interior storage efficiency. Is it likely to always be plagued by the stereo types of its manufacturer and owner base, sadly also a big yes. However, if a great shop like ARB is spending time and money to bring products to market, maybe the H3's future is improving.

Bob

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
My wife and i rented an H3 a year ago at an airport. On the way back to the return station in the parking garage, I had to open the door to get the parking stub out of the automated gate. The darn windows were like gun slits and I couldn't get my arm and my enlarged noggin out the window. Kinda funny. This coming from a guy driving a 4 wheeled greenhouse (Discovery). :)

Guinness44

Adventurer
Fact: any brand has flaws, dont get me started on the Ram thats falling apart right now, and the hours being on hold on their what? customer service line, "oh we dont have a factory rep for your area" kind of answers.

: any other 4x4, SUV, spends just as much if not more pavementpounding hours compared per unit on the roads.

: Hummer at least requests, their dealer have HummerHappenings, some of those are offhighway. The local one takes their customer (remember its a customer, not some offhighwaydriver) thrugh some pretty tough obstacles. This is done with lots of carefull spoting, and advising how to shift into the right gears, lockers etc. The whole dealership works that day. Its great to see the huge smiley faces of those owners at the end of the day.

: Bored? Inmature website like, FUH2, or another: hummerdinger, sponsored by the Sierra club. Lots of silly press basically is trashing the image, noone has to buy that truck, to owners who know its like it sais, Like Nothing Else.

nugget

Observer
Interesting read this thread. I am from Oz, have owned Nissan Patrol's, a Land Rover, a Toyota and various dual cabs over the years, all of which saw plenty of outback service including towing a camper trailer across the Simpson Desert 20 years ago. Now I have a H3 and am pretty damned impressed I must say.

If your Prado is the same as our Prado, I personally wouldn't take it close to the bush let alone into it, and the Cruisers were good until they went to IFS which had a habit of cracking the top mount when you really didn't need it to...ie in a remote area. I have a mate with an 80 series with a 3" lift and I am forever pulling him out of what the H3 walked through. Is my H3 standard....well not really but the I have really only enhance the base vehicle which is an Adventure.

Toyota in Oz have, in my opinion, lost the plot. They have sold too many cars too easily for too many years and are arrogant, over priced and over rated. Did I put too much suger coating on that????

I was going to buy the new 5 door 79 series 5 door wagon but with the order placed in July 07 for delivery in December..which became late December, January, February, maybe March.......jeez, fair crack of the whip, I wanted to enjoy it before I died of old age!

As it turned out they did me a great favour as the H3 is very, very capable and the build quality, despite what has been said here is very good on the South African built ones being bought into Oz.

Maybe some of the Toyota drivers need to take their Nippon glasses off and have a bit more of look at what has gone past them! The H3 is AUD$20,000 cheaper than a 200 series. You can add a lot of mumbo for 20k!:bike_rider:

nugget

Observer
Sorry, I was a bit caught in the anti Hummer stuff which surprised me a bit.

I have the highest respect for ARB gear. I have used it on all of my vehicles over the years and will be fitting one of their bullbars to the H3. I just wish they already had a front locker for it as well!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
nugget said:
Toyota in Oz have, in my opinion, lost the plot. They have sold too many cars too easily for too many years and are arrogant, over priced and over rated. Did I put too much suger coating on that????

.....the H3 is very, very capable and the build quality, despite what has been said here is very good on the South African built ones being bought into Oz.

The H3 is AUD$20,000 cheaper than a 200 series. You can add a lot of mumbo for 20k!:bike_rider:

I like your style.

Welcome to the Portal nugget - :beer:

nugget

Observer
kcowyo said:
I like your style.

Welcome to the Portal nugget - :beer:

Thanks kcowyo, nice to be here. I like the look of the Portal and the adventerous spirit..not sure about AC's for tents though as I have seen in a thread! The closest we come to that in Oz is the breeze you get from sqatting the flies away.

:jump:

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
nugget said:
.......... and the build quality, despite what has been said here is very good on the South African built ones being bought into Oz.

OK I will admit, the SA ones are probably far better built than our domestic ones.
At least the General is smart enough to do that.

Lynx

Soon

24HOURSOFNEVADA said:
You should like the way it looks. It looks great. Have you considered started a build thread to let more people see how capable these things can be? Or some trip reports?

I hope to have some time to do this soon. We are in the process of planning a trip in the very near future, and I will definitely have a report after that.

Lynx

Thanks

FlyNdrive said:
You seem to be my GM counterpart. I have almost the same setup for my FJ Cruiser (ARB bull bar, ARB roof rack, Simpson II tent, and 7 ft. Awning). It just needs a snorkel.

I have to admit your rig looks awesome. I originally set out to purchase an H-3 and ended up with the FJ Cruiser for reasons I won't post (no arguing folks). Your rig is what could of been.

Welcome to ExPo and please post some off road adventures. I would like to see what the H-3 can do. If on the east coast let me know and you can come to one of the Bruiser events.

-Ben

-Ben
Thanks for the nice comments. Unfortunately for meeting up I am in the Northwest. I am anxious to see what they come up with for the snorkel. I am pretty happy with how it is looking, and hope it performs well when I get it out on a trip soon. I will definitely post when that happens.
My choice was between the Fj and H3 also, they both have strong points. I love the look of the Fj with all the ARB accessories on it.

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
There is a yellow H-3 running around Baltimore with a snorkel. I was wondering how he got it.

I will post pics next time I have the tent on.

Here is a teaser shot

-Ben

.............................................................................................. :tent:
IMG_1384.jpg

nugget

Observer
I don't think people how well the H3 goes. I have had a lot of 4WD's over the years and most of them decked out with ARB gear. The H3 is my favourite so far..sure, it is highly modified, but then again so are all of the other vehicles doing similar things.

hmaozweekend1a.jpg

hmaozweekend2.jpg

hmastump1.jpg

mcm4090

Explorer
nugget said:
I don't think people how well the H3 goes. I have had a lot of 4WD's over the years and most of them decked out with ARB gear. The H3 is my favourite so far..sure, it is highly modified, but then again so are all of the other vehicles doing similar things.

hmaozweekend1a.jpg

hmaozweekend2.jpg

hmastump1.jpg
:bowdown:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior