ARB bumper lights

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Not sure if this is the right section:snorkel: Mods may move as seen fit.

I bought a new TJ last week, and it came with a nice ARB Bull bumper on the front.

The lights weren't working (amber running lights in bumper) so I pulled them out to see why.

Well, they had water in them somehow, and are corroded beyond repair.

Looked on the ARB site, and some other sites that sell ARB stuff, but no luck finding replacements.

Any one know a source for them?

IMG_20111202_135252.jpg

Thanks!

HB

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
There's some guys on here who have links to them but I finally found them...mmm, can't find the book mark but ironically they match exactly a VW turn signal from few years back. I think I paid around either 28$ or 35$ for them. I'll see what I can find.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Thanks BN guy!

They don't list the dimensions, but they do look correct. At least it's a place to start!

Thanks again!

HB

4xdog

Explorer
ARB has them, of course. You just need to call 'em.

And they are indeed the same as VW Golf Mark I turn indicators. The originals were Hella, IIRC. Kinda hard to find originals now, but aftermaket stuff abounds.

Don

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
ARB has them, of course. You just need to call 'em.

Don

It was getting late here to call, (not to mention Sunday!) but I did shoot them an email.:elkgrin:

Just looking for other options.

Good to know the VW ones do fit! May be able to source them locally.

They really aren't needed, as the TJ's lights all work fine. Just be nice to fix them, and have them working.

Thanks for the help guys!

HB :coffeedrink:

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Heads up...the ones I ordered do have not amber lenses. They are tinted. Comes with an amber bulb so I am still legal (state of Texas requires amber/forward facing lights. I kept my old lenses so I could always move them over if needed.

Not a real good close up but you get the picture...

DSCN7535.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Any ARB dealer can order them for you and many stock them. Part# ARB 3500080 ~$32 for a pair with harness.

Sirocco

Explorer
surely some pattern VW golf MK1/MK2 ones are cheaper?

I paid something like £12 for a replacement pair here in the UK. They are exactly the same as what ARB would supply.

G

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Heads up...the ones I ordered do have not amber lenses. They are tinted. Comes with an amber bulb ....

I saw the tinted ones, and think they would look good on the ARB bumper. Wasn't sure if they had an amber bulb, now I know!

Any ARB dealer can order them for you and many stock them. Part# ARB 3500080 ~$32 for a pair with harness.

Yep, got a reply today from my email, with the cost and part#.

What I didn't know: The lights are designed at turn signals only, not running lights.

Using them as running lights creates to much heat, and can warp the housings.

ARB Tech guy suggested using LED bulbs if I wanted to have them as running lights.

Mine are wired as running lights now, which I'm sure is what caused them to warp, and then allowed moisture inside.

Kurt, I'll hit you up and order a set after Christmas! (I see in your sig you're an ARB outfitter) Momma cut my Jeep fund short this month, after buying the TJ! :elkgrin:

cruiseroutfit

Sounds like a plan, always have em' here. :D

That is good advice on the park light, you can score cheap 1156 bulbs on eBay and generic parts stores (AZ, Napa, etc), alternatively I may have some here when you order the lights. We are using LED's more and more particularly on late model Toyota's as the extra load of the bumper light can cause the vehicle to trip the circuit (not blow a fuse). By using the LED you have very minimal additional amp draw and thus the circuit breakers are not effected.

DesertBoater

Adventurer
This is mostly on the same area of discussion, but concerning the fog lights that ARB has been putting in the newer bumpers. How are folks finding them to hold up? Any better than the signal lights? I've been tempted to switch over to them as another form of light/get my fogs back, but haven't been able to justify it yet. Any thoughts?

cruiseroutfit

This is mostly on the same area of discussion, but concerning the fog lights that ARB has been putting in the newer bumpers. How are folks finding them to hold up? Any better than the signal lights? I've been tempted to switch over to them as another form of light/get my fogs back, but haven't been able to justify it yet. Any thoughts?

The fog lamps as well as the new park/turn combo lights are seemingly holding up far better than the previous version. The have a little better sealing imo. The fog lamps themselves are great and for the relatively low cost (again compared to the previous fog lamp versions) they are a great aux light under $100. If you already have the fog lamp wiring and switch in your vehicle its a 10 minute install into the newer fog surrounds.

CYi5

Explorer
The fog lamps as well as the new park/turn combo lights are seemingly holding up far better than the previous version. The have a little better sealing imo. The fog lamps themselves are great and for the relatively low cost (again compared to the previous fog lamp versions) they are a great aux light under $100. If you already have the fog lamp wiring and switch in your vehicle its a 10 minute install into the newer fog surrounds.

Now if only we could find fog surrounds that could be plasma cut into the older tacoma, etc. ARB bumpers, we'd be set :).

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
What I didn't know: The lights are designed at turn signals only, not running lights.

Using them as running lights creates to much heat, and can warp the housings.

ARB Tech guy suggested using LED bulbs if I wanted to have them as running lights.

Mine are wired as running lights now, which I'm sure is what caused them to warp, and then allowed moisture inside.

I run mine as running lights not signals and have no problem with them heating up and warping anything. The originals were even in decent shape. I replaced them as the contacts were in very poor condition and I couldn't find a replacement for that so I just replaced the whole units.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior