ARB EZ tire deflator

Robthebrit

Explorer
I posted last week in another thread that it was a PITA to air down the Unimog tires, if you pull the valve core then getting all the tires to the same pressure is a trick.

I did some web searches and welcome to the ARB EZ Tire Deflator, this thing is amazing. I got mine from: http://www.4x4rockshop.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=11529

It basically pulls the valve core for you and keeps it nice and safe, with a twist of the wrist the core is removed and replaced. The tires deflate just as quick as manually pulling the core and the pressure gauge lets you precisely stop at the correct pressure. I can get all 4 mog tires down to under 20 PSI in a couple of minutes.

I tried to order it from one of the equipment sites ran by Expo members but I could not find it. If any of you guys want to stock it I highly recommend it, its a great product.

Rob

Bergger

Explorer
It looks suspiciously like the Currie E-Z Tire deflator that I've been using for the past few years?

CE-9029E_MED.jpg

505.jpg

The Currie one works great and can be had for about $27-$30. Is the ARB one the same or is there something different about it?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Bergger said:
...The Currie one works great and can be had for about $27-$30. Is the ARB one the same or is there something different about it?

An obvious rebadge (ARB has a few items that way ;))

I don't remember if the Currie's come with the canvas bag like the ARB units do, thats part of the price. The other part is the fact that the shop mentioned above is probably absorbing a bit of their free shipping into the cost. They usually retail for ~$35 ;)

ARB is also retailing a new ARB Speedy Seal Puncture Repair Kit... I don't have any in my hands yet but I should see my orders soon. They retail ~$40 and should contains more stuff (air gauge, etc) then the Safety Seal products...

Robthebrit

Explorer
I saw them for $30-$35 but all the sites wanted between $10 and $15 to ship it so that site came out to be the cheapest even though it was more expensive base price.

Let me know what you think of the tire kit when you get one. Are you going to stock them?

Rob

Bergger

Explorer
The currie one comes with a decent bag, not as nice as the ARB one though. Looking at the photo of the tire kit I imagine its a re-badge of the Safety Seal Kit. If so it's a great kit. I would not go out on the trail without one. The only extra appears to be a tire guage.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Robthebrit said:
I saw them for $30-$35 but all the sites wanted between $10 and $15 to ship it so that site came out to be the cheapest even though it was more expensive base price.

Let me know what you think of the tire kit when you get one. Are you going to stock them?

Rob

I hear you... think we would be right about the same amount shipped, so all in all not a bad deal :D

I will be stocking the Speedy Seal kits :sombrero:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I have been using the Viair 3in1 air down guage for the past few months and like it. It airs down quickly and is somewhat hands free

prod00032.jpg

You screw it on, open the valve and walk away. The guage allows you to monitor the pressure however it is not an accurate reeding while air is flowing out but you can still get an idea. Then its just a twist of the knob thing to take an accurate reeding

I paid $15 at a local offroad shop

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I prefer the Staun's. Wouldn't the HD Staun's work for the MOG? Then you just set it it and forget it.

I have used the Currie ones and fond issues if you loose your cap and get dust or mud around the valve.

Redback

Adventurer
flyingwil said:
I prefer the Staun's. Wouldn't the HD Staun's work for the MOG? Then you just set it it and forget it.

I have used the Currie ones and fond issues if you loose your cap and get dust or mud around the valve.

Me too, i think it's great to be able to let all four down at the same time, mine are set at 20psi and a mate has them too, his are set at 26psi we share each others when out together and still air down before everyone else.

Baz.

Robthebrit

Explorer
I think the stauns would work great on a MOG. They seem like a great product and I went back and forth and ultimately decided on the ARB, the few reasons why I did not the stauns are:

A) The primary reason..I did not know which of the normal or HD versions I needed. Do you buy them based on your final aired down tire pressure or do you buy them such that you are always within the pressure range of the deflator? I typically run about 65PSI on the street and about 25 (sometime 18) off road and this spans the pressure range of the normal and HD versions but all of my aired down pressures are within the standard model.

B)I have really stubby metal valve stems which sit tightly in the fold of the wheel, this protects them from being battered by rocks and it would be unfortunate to make them long again by adding the deflator. If you catch a valve stem on a rock the weight of truck is easily capable of ripping even a metal valve stem from the wheel (I am sure the weight any truck is capable of this). Because of this I would probably not leave them on the truck and I would have to get out to remove them again. A huge advatange of the staun is being able to drive while they are deflating your tires.

C)If takes a long time to air down the tires by pushing the valve. The ARB deflator (and its identical brothers) is really fast.

D) I have equal in the mog tires and while I do have filtered stems to stop it leaving when the pressure is released I would worry about a small piece getting stuck in the valve or deflator and the tire going completely flat and debeading while I am driving. With the ARB deflator I am right there so if it gets messed up I can manually remove it and if necessary insert a new valve core.

I hope my reasoning makes sense.

Rob

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I have the Stauns, pre-set at 18 psi, never had an issue with them. By the time I put on all 4, the 1st one is done, so I just end up walking around my truck twice :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94