ARB fridge 12v problem

FJR Colorado

Explorer
After 5.5 years, my 47L ARB fridge has stopped working on 12v.

It works on AC 120v.

Anybody heard of this and have a fix?

Editorial note: The fridge has been a stalwart until now. I'm very disappointed in the "legendary ARB service"... They have a web submitter thingy that is broken (but wastes your time entering all the info, pics, etc.). I then called and waited (forever) and spoke to a rep. He said no out of warranty repairs (which I get) and acted like he wanted to hang up. After pressing him, he said it could be a "logic board" and promised to e-mail a service manual (which he never did) which would have parts to order. I have always heard such good things about ARB service. I am left very unimpressed :-(

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
If the fridge is running alright on AC I would press them to just send you a logic board (power supply). If they simply won't (or can't, it's possible they don't have repair parts anymore if it's an older model) send you a power supply then press them for a service manual, especially if it's got a schematic. They aren't that complex, maybe an appliance repair shop and certainly someone who can troubleshoot and repair electronics can fix it.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Given that the unit works find on AC, I agree with @DaveInDenver, it should be fixable. Either by swapping in a new board, or by an electronics repair tech. I would be inclined to think a loose connection, so checking for 12V at the logic board may be a good starting point. Have you checked to see if the 12V cable has an internal fuse? Some do. If could even just be a bad cable, or a poor connection somewhere.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
A quick glance at the manual shows the power lead has a built in fuse.

Does the interior light work when connected to 12V/? If so the cable is at least mostly working, and it may be the control board. If the interior light does not work, that would indicate a cable or connection issue.

The repair photos shows a danfoss/secop compressor. Even if the ARB control electronics have bit the dust, you can retrofit an inexpensive thermostat to bypass them, and get many more years of service.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
You can try calling ARB back and perhaps you can talk to someone more helpful .

I'm sure you eliminated the 12VDC power cord as the issue. Put a meter on the fridge plug to ensure you have 12 volts.

This sounds crazy , but if the issue is the power supply and electrical/ circuit board related perhaps a Television repair place could look at the fridge. Such a place would have experience with bad power supplies etc. You might have to take to a couple of shops to find someone willing to give it a try.

You can always run the fridge through an inverter in your vehicle. Not the most efficient but it will work. Another idea is to make that fridge you house freezer or garage fridge.

I use my spare ARB as a freezer when I'm not using it .

DaveInDenver

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, I did find the Service Manual. No thanks to ARB. But many thanks to those that posted link.

Thoroughly checked the power cord fuse, used as a cig plug and the direct ARB plug port, put voltmeter on cord, all good. LED doesn't come on or anything.

All works perfectly on AC. So I have a $900 dorm fridge with a $150 cover :)

I did get 5.5 years out of it in a rough environment, but still.... grrrr....

I may just wait until Spring and get an Alpicool. They are crazy cheap. People seem to say good things. I can get a dual zone for something like $300... I may easily spend that much chasing the problem and get nowhere?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Does this fridge support 24V? If so you might try it on 24V to see if it works. If so a 12-24V converter could be employed. You may also see if the ARB parts desk can supply you a new control board (not the compressor control, but the ARB specific one). It may not be that expensive.

shade

If your power system can support a little higher consumption, use an external inverter to get by until you fix it.

dreadlocks

Ive got an ARB Fridge here that had parts fail within warranty.. I contacted em several times about fixing it and they just blew me off and I never got anywhere, since I was not far from the warranty ending they managed to stretch it out long enough I just gave up and got my self an Engel.. the ARB is now in my office, hooked to 120VAC keeping beer cold.

john61ct

Adventurer
How many members here are US-based?

Australia / South Africa / Europe service centres may be better.

Are they part if Dometic / Waeco these days? Probably wouldn't still be using Secop if they were. . .

DaveInDenver

@john61ct, I'd agree maybe with getting an Engel or National Luna serviced here in the U.S. might be more difficult than perhaps Australia, South Africa or Europe but not ARB.

ARB have had a presence in Washington state for quite some time now and that would be the whole point of going with them over a smaller (in the U.S.) brand. You shouldn't expect to be orphaned with ARB stuff.

Also, I thought Dometic used Danfoss compressors? ARB initially rebadged Engel/Sawafuji fridges but have since apparently switched to Danfoss-based designs that appear to me to be Waeco-derived.

The very first ARB looked just like Engel MT-series fridges.

5.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: plh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior