ARB JACK vs. Hi-Lift Jack

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I like the JakJaw accessory above. I haven't seen that before. I have the Hi-Lift Off-Road Kit, Lift-Mate, Bumper-Lift, Off-Road Base. 3"X 15' Tree Strap, Fix-It-Kit and a small can of BP Blaster. I just added a JackMate. It comes with a replacement push pin for the Hi-Lift base. If I chose not to use the base, I can dismount the jack by removing one bolt and the base pin. Base is held by two other bolts. I was not satisfied with Loc-Rac Bedrail mount that Hi-Lift offers.
I already had the All Cast Hi-Lift but I liked the look of the Hi-Lift X-Treme because it comes with the removable base and the New Multipurpose Top Clamp Clevis, It is a seriously tough piece of gear, It's built more like a Dozer part than a Jack Part,

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
in some cases augmenting that with an inflatable bag (similar to ARB X-jack).

I am on my second X-Jack because the first one split a seam and dropped the truck suddenly while lifting. Could have been a disaster if I had my arm under there positioning a jack stand or blocks. No warning, just BOOM and down. ARB looked at the pics I sent them and then sent me a new X-Jack. Only used the X-Jack because I couldn't get the Hi-Lift under the right part of the truck. Don't know what caused the failure, but the Power Wagon is a heavy mutha. X-Jack is probably fine on a Taco or a Jeep. Now I carry an H1 scissor jack for those situations.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
in some cases augmenting that with an inflatable bag (similar to ARB X-jack).

I am on my second X-Jack because the first one split a seam and dropped the truck suddenly while lifting. Could have been a disaster if I had my arm under there positioning a jack stand or blocks. No warning, just BOOM and down. ARB looked at the pics I sent them and then sent me a new X-Jack. Only used the X-Jack because I couldn't get the Hi-Lift under the right part of the truck. Don't know what caused the failure, but the Power Wagon is a heavy mutha. X-Jack is probably fine on a Taco or a Jeep. Now I carry an H1 scissor jack for those situations.
Jeez DD, you were lucky Mate. Sorry to hear that. When you say Power Wagon is it one of those old Monster Army type Trucks or one of the new ones ?? I seen them old ones and they weigh a Ton, more like 3 Ton.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Jeez DD, you were lucky Mate. Sorry to hear that. When you say Power Wagon is it one of those old Monster Army type Trucks or one of the new ones ?? I seen them old ones and they weigh a Ton, more like 3 Ton.

Mine is a 2005, but it's over 4 tons when packed for a trip. Loves gas stations, hates soft sand.

Like Quote Reply

67cj5

Man On a Mission

Mine is a 2005, but it's over 4 tons when packed for a trip. Loves gas stations, hates soft sand.

Like Quote Reply
Well it should not of broke under that load because you only lift one corner at a time, The Jack is rated at over 2 Ton so it was under half of it's capacity. I think you might of been better off with a complete Refund, That Jack is dangerous, And they call a Hi-Lift dangerous ?? That was definitely and Underwear Moment.

I'd get some adapters made and use a Hi-Lift from now n, take care mate.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Well it should not of broke under that load because you only lift one corner at a time, The Jack is rated at over 2 Ton so it was under half of it's capacity.

The R/F tire had fallen into a hole and the truck was resting on its frame on the edge of the hole. So I tried to lift the whole right side of the truck enough to get a frame jack under it and try to bridge the hole. I guess that means I had close to half the weight of the truck on the X-Jack before it blew. Couldn't use the Hi-Lift because the portion of the truck I needed to lift was over the hole. Wound up extracting myself by locking the axles and stuffing MaxTrax behind the rear wheels. Had planned to stack the MaxTrax to bridge the hole.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Well it should not of broke under that load because you only lift one corner at a time, The Jack is rated at over 2 Ton so it was under half of it's capacity.

The R/F tire had fallen into a hole and the truck was resting on its frame on the edge of the hole. So I tried to lift the whole right side of the truck enough to get a frame jack under it and try to bridge the hole. I guess that means I had close to half the weight of the truck on the X-Jack before it blew. Couldn't use the Hi-Lift because the portion of the truck I needed to lift was over the hole. Wound up extracting myself by locking the axles and stuffing MaxTrax behind the rear wheels. Had planned to stack the MaxTrax to bridge the hole.
Yeah I had days like that too, I had to reverse an Ex Army early Series Land Rover Down a Track and got Cross Axled that came from the factory with huge curved Springs and 6" Shackles I got out the Cab and the seat base was level with my head and the standard Hi-Lift was not Tall enough, Lesson learned, I got the 60" X-Treme Hi-Lift Now.

shade

My biggest concern with air bags of this type is that they don't appear to have a way to fail gracefully, or simply max out and stall.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
My biggest concern with air bags of this type is that they don't appear to have a way to fail gracefully, or simply max out and stall.

Amen!

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I read this entire thread (or argument) and never saw mentioned an option I’m considering to retire my Hi-lift. I recently purchased a Alu-cab RTT and no longer have a practical place for the HL on the rack. With the RTT weighing in at a hefty 175# I don’t want that extra weigh up top anyway. I don’t really have any decent place to store it in my 4R either.

I have already replaced the factory jack with a decent bottle jack and plan to add a adaptor like Land Cruiser Phil sells.

So what I’m pretty close to buying is a aluminum race jack which is really just a light weight version of a standard floor jack. They weigh about the same as the HL and are very compact with the handle removed. They come with a flat bottom to prevent sinking. Price ranges from $45 to several hundred. A decent one that’s not HF junk can be found for around $150. I can’t see much that would make me second guess this plan.

I do have a winch, Maxtrax (4), and all the other gear usually carried. Also over 50 years messing with 4x4s. Yes, even formal training.

Note the HL will be retired from my truck but not from all kinds of odd jobs around my place. Here it’s being used to straighten my roof rack after warping from welding.
6ae961ddadb4c0687d68f2888ad39c22.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgaz

Adventurer
I read this entire thread (or argument) and never saw mentioned an option I’m considering to retire my Hi-lift. I recently purchased a Alu-cab RTT and no longer have a practical place for the HL on the rack. With the RTT weighing in at a hefty 175# I don’t want that extra weigh up top anyway. I don’t really have any decent place to store it in my 4R either.

I have already replaced the factory jack with a decent bottle jack and plan to add a adaptor like Land Cruiser Phil sells.

So what I’m pretty close to buying is a aluminum race jack which is really just a light weight version of a standard floor jack. They weigh about the same as the HL and are very compact with the handle removed. They come with a flat bottom to prevent sinking. Price ranges from $45 to several hundred. A decent one that’s not HF junk can be found for around $150. I can’t see much that would make me second guess this plan.

I do have a winch, Maxtrax (4), and all the other gear usually carried. Also over 50 years messing with 4x4s. Yes, even formal training.

Note the HL will be retired from my truck but not from all kinds of odd jobs around my place. Here it’s being used to straighten my roof rack after warping from welding.
6ae961ddadb4c0687d68f2888ad39c22.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@Ace Brown
IMO you are on the right track with the flat bottomed aluminum race jack.

I worked at an automotive desert proving grounds. The above mentioned jack was the best solution we found to carry on the wrecker for the vast majority of our needs. It proved to be very versatile especially combined with an assortment of blocks.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
My pennyworth

The film clip and the article are simply marketing paff. One can always tell when a journalist has sold his soul to a product (I've been guilty of it myself a fair few times) and avoids the true comparrisons

I don't use Hi-lifts, except for teaching. I don't like them. I've not used one since a friend smashed his jaw - his fault, he was complacent. That was about 15 years back. I use one of two bottle jacks I keep in the vehicle. They are Land Rover hydraulic jacks, so have long reach and an angled cup at the top. Cheap as chips and easy to maintain. I also use a small selection of wooden blocks

I'd not use the ARB jack, unless given it by a kindly wholesaler. It's looks great, but it's weak, over complicated and far, far, far to expensive. The latter is a big issue when you travel around the far flung reaches of the real world. Hang something on your vehicle that is worth a man's wages (in some countries) doesn't win hearts and minds - usually the latter. I see this as a new 'bling' tool, to hang on a big check book vehicle

Keep smiling

Ron B

Explorer

Glad you are ok...i ran with airbags for a while and this is the main reason I went back to springs...a couple of close calls from unexpected blow ups (years later and my ears are still ringing).

I have had an x-jack for quite a while and only tested it once to make sure it worked. I think it’s a great “oh ********” thing to carry and will definitely be helpful for high center situations, maybe being stuck in sand, or as you mentioned to place jack stands (I certainly wouldn't want to be under a truck with that as the sole support).

I was however really impressed with the strength of the x-jack. I honstely never expected it to lift my truck (Hummer) and even wore ear protection because I was so convinced it would explode. I used an air hose and onboard tank to inflate it...pictured is the bag under the slider lifting only one tire but later I placed it under the rear diff and the damn thing lifted my truck with both rear tires 6” off the ground in about 3 or 4 seconds!

Attachments

• EA41580C-31ED-4643-AE9F-1948D2F17BA9.jpeg
    EA41580C-31ED-4643-AE9F-1948D2F17BA9.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 18
  • B1DE7253-AFA5-4188-AEB8-821ABECA351A.jpeg
    B1DE7253-AFA5-4188-AEB8-821ABECA351A.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member