ARB Outback Solution Drawer Organization (show me you set up and load plan)

yonah

Calling-in from west of the Rockies
I recently acquired a set of used ARB Outback Solutions drawers from another forum member. I had to trim the fit kit side panels about 3-4cm (depending on the location) on either side for a clean look; I think the final product turned out great in my Tacoma and I now have a good foundation for future accessories in the bed (fridge, house battery, switch panel, fuse block, etc...). This is a much more robust, practical, and attractive solution than anything I could have constructed on my own.

With that being said, these are the big boy drawers (RD1355), so there is a ton of storage space. I want to really maximize the available space and organize them well. My initial thought is to utilize the drivers side drawer for kitchen and dry food (pantry) storage and the passenger side for our two folding camping chairs, leveling blocks, and other misc. items that take up a lot of space in the bed.

I would like to view some other load plans to see how you guys have organized your OS drawers. I'm primarily interested in any dividers you have purchased/constructed and where/how you have secured them within the drawer to compartementalize your cargo.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Recovery/tools in the left. Camping stuff in the right. I have the rear electrical system under the passenger forward wing, leaving room for some bulky stuff in the passenger rear wing. Hammocks, etc. The driver side forward wing has the Comms equipment (ham radio body) CB box and fridge power junction. The driver rear wing area is where is stow the sidewalls for the awning.

You're right - they are cavernous. I've had to perfect my layout in each drawer over the last two years. Stuff I use the most towards the rear, least to the front. We leave them packed all of the time, Ready to go!

If you didn't know, the frontRunner collapsible camp chair fits in these. I have two stacked in the right drawer towards the front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris Boyd

Explorer
I'll get some photos of my drawer layout and post them. The new adventure is to get all of the little ditties that help in-drawer organization. Blue Ridge Overland Gear will become a favorite. Tool rolls, kit bags, etc.

yonah

I'll get some photos of my drawer layout and post them. The new adventure is to get all of the little ditties that help in-drawer organization. Blue Ridge Overland Gear will become a favorite. Tool rolls, kit bags, etc.

Thanks Chris! I'm looking forward to the photos.

Blue Ridge Overland Gear is an awesome company. My wife surprised me with one of their tool bags for Christmas. It's such a well designed and thought out product. I was able to fit my entire Craftsman mechanics toolkit in it and still have room left over. I could drop some serious coin on their webstore - my OCD goes into overdrive whenever I check out their product line.

Last edited:

yonah

That looks nice.
How are the drawers fastened to the vehicle?
Thanks.

Thanks, they're a great product.

They utilize a galvanized steel frame and I believe (4) 7/16 bolts mounted through the bed. I used grade 8 bolts, nylon lock nuts, large flat washers, and RTV silicone to ensure the holes were sealed.

Here are a couple of shots of the aforementioned frames. In the second photo you can see the lower support rail that is used to secure the drawers to the bed (there are two rails per drawer). The mounting bolts pass through that rail via any one of the available mounting slots. This keeps the design relatively universal. The drawers also bolt together to create one cohesive unit. These photos document my initial fitment test in the truck; I gave the drawers a thorough cleaning before the final install :).

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

dBeau

Hoopy
That looks great.

I recently acquired a set of used ARB Outback Solutions drawers from another forum member. I had to trim the fit kit side panels about 3-4cm (depending on the location) on either side for a clean look; I think the final product turned out great in my Tacoma and I now have a good foundation for future accessories in the bed (fridge, house battery, switch panel, fuse block, etc...). This is a much more robust, practical, and attractive solution than anything I could have constructed on my own.

What truck was the fit kit made for before your changes? Were they custom?

yonah

What truck was the fit kit made for before your changes? Were they custom?

I have no idea as the gentleman who sold them to me purchased them from the original owner (who had the drawers in storage) - making me the third owner. The second owner got them for his 70-series LC and decided to go with the next shorter drawer unit from ARB as the RD1355s were too long for his application; I believe they interfered with one or both of the rear seats IIRC. Also, there were no part numbers or anything stamped on the panels to specify a particular application. I do know the side panels were 3cm wider than my Tacoma's bed and the front trim panel is maybe 3-4" wide and doesn't extend all the way to the front of my bed. Whatever vehicle they were designed for has a cargo area slightly wider and shorter than a 60" short bed Tacoma. If it was a truck, maybe a Hilux or an AUS Ford Ranger?.. I have no idea, but would like to know.

On a side note, I did call ARB's tech line to inquire about their company Tacoma that was built a couple of years ago and featured by ExPo:

http://expeditionportal.com/featured-vehicle-arbs-toyota-tacoma/

http://expeditionportal.com/media/2015/05/DSCF0860.jpg (close up of the drawers)

The tech I spoke with confirmed that the fit kit for the drawer system in that truck was custom made at their shop in WA using their Outback Solutions carpet kit (ARB sells matching marine-grade carpet for customers who desire to build extra panels or design their own fit kit).

Last edited:

dBeau

Hoopy
The tech I spoke with confirmed that the fit kit for the drawer system in that truck was custom made at their shop in WA using their Outback Solutions carpet kit (ARB sells matching marine-grade carpet for customers who desire to build extra panels or design their own fit kit).

I'd love a set for my tacoma access cab. If there was a fit kit ready to go I'd have to think real hard about ordering tomorrow. I'd really like a set. The design work and build time for custom stuff puts the project on the bottom of "someday" list. It's a long list. On the other hand, I guess I should be happy that there isnt a kit ready to go. Great looking set up. Someday... someday.

yonah

I'd love a set for my tacoma access cab. If there was a fit kit ready to go I'd have to think real hard about ordering tomorrow. I'd really like a set. The design work and build time for custom stuff puts the project on the bottom of "someday" list. It's a long list. On the other hand, I guess I should be happy that there isnt a kit ready to go. Great looking set up. Someday... someday.

Thanks, I picked up one of those pet barriers designed for rear SUV cargo areas. The male Velcro on it attaches to the carpet on the drawer tops really well. My dog seems to enjoy the higher ride while lounging in the back of the truck. He can lay down and look out the windows now.

Here are my notes from the conversation with the ARB tech regarding the OS carpet kit:

-The ARB part no. for the carpet kit is CKIT
-It retails for $35 per the tech
-Dimensions of the carpet are 1500mmx1600mm.

I would think one would need around 2-3 carpet kits to build a full fit kit for the drawers in a 6' Tacoma bed. The plywood ARB uses is marine-grade 1/2" I believe. They adhere it to the wood using some type of heavy duty contact cement (it's a ********** to separate the carpet from the wood and not damage either). I had to peel back the carpet on the outer panels, trim the wood on a table saw, reapply the carpet with contact cement, and then trim the excess carpet material. It was a job, but worth it IMO. The two twist plugs for the back side panels need to be replaced and one of the retaining clips is cracked (there are two clips per side panel). I'm having a hard time tracking down those parts. I'll call ARB again tomorrow and see if a part number was found for either.

Last edited:

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Ok, since you asked about loading plan, here is my layout. It's taken a couple of years to get it right. I think it's pretty compact and functional now.

Right side, camping equipment:
4f31be39bfe9f87d4735832d98127464.jpg

Pretty much everything you'd need. Ammo can has the coffee Kit. There are two folding FrontRunner chairs behind the cutlery kit still hiding in the back of the drawer. They fit perfectly and come out easily. I load the most used stuff the front, less to the back.

Left side, recovery equipment:
18d7cbe948bd2294863b3de885343c62.jpg

Tire kit in orange, full set of soft shackles, hard shackles and bridle in the small gaffer kit. Tree strap in the large gaffer bag on the left. Snatch extension strap below.

Blue ridge gear tool bag and recovery strap bag (love that stuff!)

b02d7c690d45ba8e1903716a507efcb3.jpg

Sockets, electrical supplies (fuses, primary wire, etc) gorilla tape, rescue tape towards the back.
7ce2090e40164deb0a47139f241978cb.jpg

Under the right wing is soft camping stuff like hammocks and rain gear. Under the left wing is awning side walls.

Here's my rear layout. The combo stove slide is an awesome piece of kit. Just added the cutting board deck.

4685b1c0de1ef8eb777ae2f32f91e268.jpg

yonah

Thanks Chris! Much appreciated. I noticed your switches on the right side; I'm considering OTRATTW switches with a matching bezel as well. It's a clean look. Also, kudos on your organization and the Blue Ridge Overland Gear products - they are amazing products. I too have the tool bag and love it!

I have a couple of questions:

1) What is the square-shaped box below your switch panel?

2) Do you use any of the dividers from Outback Solutions, or do you find the items in your drawers generally stay in place while traveling?

3) I see you do not have a roller floor drawer for your fridge (the Partner slider is a sharp product - I remember checking it out at OEE). I have two standard drawers as well, so I will have to mount my fridge slider to the top panel on one of the drawers. Did you simply drill the mounting holes through the panel and use fender washers, or something similar, to spread the load across the panel?

Thanks for the help and I'm stealing the ammo can coffee kit idea :) .

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Glad you liked the layout. Answers and commentary:

1) the square shaped box is actually a pair of PowerPole power outlets. They are small Anderson plugs and I can use them to power stuff. Coming from the radio world, they are kind of standard, so I can adapt to just about any other kind of plug. I've modified my lighting system, solar panels (they are actually large andersons) to be able to use them. I can also gang the, with a dual plug and connect my trailer to parallel the big battery there to tap it's power or recharge it.

2) didn't know they had dividers! My stuff is packed in there well enough nothing is moving.

3) yes, I just drilled through the top of the drawer and used fender washers to mount the slide. I also have air track on the right side for tying down my camp kitchen box and any other cargo. Same thing there

4) no problem to steal the coffee kit idea: it wasn't mine. The Java Can:
http://the-java-can.myshopify.com

I picked it up at Expo -- I like good (and strong) coffee. These guys have it put together in a nice turnkey kit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior