Arctic Ocean Expedition: Winter 2007

toyrunner95

Explorer
yeah, ive been watching that arctic expedition site, and not a whole lot happeneing, i know its just the 1st of feb but werent there supposed to updates on the truck and what not?

Scott Brady

Founder
A lot is happening, mostly on the cold weather gear side.

Updates are delayed because of my driving project for Jeep, which finishes this Friday.

paulj

Expedition Leader
Article on driving the Dempster in winter on
rec.outdoors.rv-travel newsgroup
Arctic Adventures: Dragging a trailer to Inuvik in January (long)

AKTrooper

Observer
Missed you in Yukon Territory

Scott,

Check out the Isuzu forum section of this site. I just returned from Teslin YK and spent sonme time around the Ross River via the Canol road. Thought you might be in the area at the same time but didn't hear or see you. Hope all goes well on the road.

Dennis

Scott Brady

Founder
Wireless test

Chris and I are meeting about remaining action items and testing our Verizon card. Five weeks left

Look for more frequent updates from this point forward...:26_7_2:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
expeditionswest said:
Chris and I are meeting about remaining action items and testing our Verizon card. Five weeks left

Look for more frequent updates from this point forward...:26_7_2:

Scott, which Verizon card are you using?

When you are up here, you will probably be roaming on the wireless carrier I work for and I might be able to get you some very specific coverage details - along with a few other hints ;)

CLynn85

Explorer
I can't wait to hear more about this trip. The Ice Roads have always been a desire for me that I hope to do before they're closed off from public use.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
paulj said:
Article on driving the Dempster in winter on
rec.outdoors.rv-travel newsgroup
Arctic Adventures: Dragging a trailer to Inuvik in January (long)

hmmm - I am interested to read this. I suppose it requires subscription, right? Do you know if it exists in any other format?

Thanks

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
mountainpete said:
Scott, which Verizon card are you using?

When you are up here, you will probably be roaming on the wireless carrier I work for and I might be able to get you some very specific coverage details - along with a few other hints ;)

Pete, I just sent you an email. :)

By the way, I want to thank everyone for their comments, questions and support here in this thread. I have been checking in and reading up all along. There has been a lot of great input - thank you.

Last edited:

paulj

Expedition Leader
I read the (usenet) newsgroups through Google, but you can use other servers. No need to subscribe to read the threads.

Here's a link to the lead post of this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.outdoors.rv-travel/msg/fa3af83fcd663edc

In this account, a couple drove a truck full of blasting equipment to Inuvik, and on to a mining camp down river.

Newsgroups are an early version of forums, generally unmoderated, and thus loaded with tangents and junk, but occasionally good stuff.

paulj

freetomeander

A good read for Arctic adventure, although I know the focus here is on vehicle dependent trips:

Last month's National Geographic Adventure has story and pics on Borge Ousland and Mike Horn's expedition to the North Pole - ON FOOT pulling sleds, 2 months of 24 hour darkness. They made it!! Since the "game" among professional adventurers is to have "firsts", they were the first to do it in the months of 24 hour darkness...in the floating ice sections they had to swim through arctic water in special made suits. Now THEY endured extreme conditions!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz