Arctic Ocean Expedition: Winter 2007

flywgn

Explorer
It's also a good idea to inspect the routing of your hoses to the windscreen washer nozzles. Recently, I had the driver's side hose to clog even with non-freezing fluid owing to the fact that the hose was exposed to the wind for about two inches before the nozzle. At the time, the outside temp was around 5ºF and the wind-chill at 60mph was enough to cause the liquid to congeal. I remedied the problem by re-routing the hose and increasing the mix in the fluid with a higher proportion of the non-freezing liquid.

Allen R

Scott Brady

Founder
freetomeander said:
Hello, first post here but been reading for a while. A Canadian friend of mine drove up to Tuk a couple years ago, says it was basically a waste of time and money winterizing the truck. Not that big a deal really, you just drive up there,turn around and drive back. Stay over in Tuk if you want. Large trucks do it alot, just like driving across a frozen lake altho its alot colder when you get out to pee! Lota guys do it just to say they drove to the arctic...not really worth it according to him. He wished he spent the $$$ taking his wife on a trip...she left him shortly after.

Hi Freetomeander,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the post. For me, the appeal is the extreme conditions, not any great driving challenge. The darkness, the cold and the logistics create a very interesting and rewarding challenge in my mind.

I have not travelled to the Arctic Circle or Arctic Ocean, so I might as well make it more interesting by going in Winter :D

Icewalker

Adventurer
freetomeander said:
Hello, first post here but been reading for a while. A Canadian friend of mine drove up to Tuk a couple years ago, says it was basically a waste of time and money winterizing the truck. Not that big a deal really, you just drive up there,turn around and drive back. Stay over in Tuk if you want. Large trucks do it alot, just like driving across a frozen lake altho its alot colder when you get out to pee! Lota guys do it just to say they drove to the arctic...not really worth it according to him. He wished he spent the $$$ taking his wife on a trip...she left him shortly after.

Dunno about that - I drove up to Tuk last year (Feb 05) - thankfully the truck was winterized. Even then I still managed to freeze up the heater core. IMHO the drive was great and well worth doing - especially if you are going to go camping in it and not the easy route and overnight in Inuvik then drive up the ice road, turn around and come back again. The best part is actually taking one of the side "roads" on the way back from Tuk and driving out to the rigs - they're really cool (forgive the pun) about it and will answer questions etc.

JMHO

Jeff

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
This may have been mentioned already, but I'd not set your e-brake at stops if I were you. Mine froze solid with a thick covering of ice after driving around the snow storms here the past few days and it took me crawling under with a hammer to free the cables from ice the next morning before I could go anywhere. Just a thought.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
good tip, We never used the E brakes when we lived back east in the sub zero temps - when they would get wet in the day then set - they would freeze right to the drums... I still never use mine

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Winterizing a Tacoma

Scott,
I've been meaning to post for some time. Here are some tips that you probably already know about already, but worth a mention anyhow.

Winter driving and preparations

Fresh batteries
Will you changing your batteries before the trip? Nothing kills a battery quicker than a real cold snap.

Gas consumption
I’ve been keeping reasonable MPG data for the last two full years and went back to look at the data and trends I have. The temperature here goes from + 30 degrees Celsius to -30 degrees Celsius. I notice a drop in MPG (1 to 2) during the cold months. The biggest factor that increases fuel consumption during the cold months is vehicle warm up because as you know, when the engine is running in the driveway or parking lot and it’s not moving your effective MPG for that time frame is 0!

Synthetic Oils
I’ve switched to full synthetic fluids for engine, tranny, transfer case and diffs. Where I’ve noticed the biggest difference is on extreme cold start ups. The vehicle starts easier because synthetic fluids typically don’t turn to molasses as quickly as regular oils. Don't forget about brake and power steering fluid.

Engine coolant (winter/cold weather mix)
Will you be replacing your engine coolant before the trip

Windshield washer fluid, winter wipers and window scraper
Make sure to bring cold weather windshield washer fluid and change out any remaining windshield washer fluid left in the truck. Get good quality winter wipers you will need them, or you can get really good at driving down the highway and sticking your arm out the window to grab the windshield wiper and lift it off the glass and drop it as it goes by to clear the frozen snow and ice build up from the wipers. Most of us Canadians learn this skill early on in our driving careers! Rather comical to see actually. :D Finally don’t forget your window scraper! You would not believe that I have seen used to scrape ice build up off of vehicle windows (credit cards, books, pocket knives to name a few…).

Sunglasses and Snow glare
I think this has been mentionned previously in this thread, but a good pair of sun glasses are a must.

Parking brake (drums full of snow and water that can freeze)
As Ursidae69 has mentionned already, the E brake on these trucks tends to freeze up especially when you drive though lots of deep snow or water. I've had to put the truck in 4Lo in one occasion to get the truck rolling after driving through some mud and water on my way to a hunting spot then parking over night. The rear E brake was frozen solid and I was way back in the woods. When I got home, I inspected the brakes and nothing was damaged. I just cleaned and lubed everything up to prevent the problem from re-occuring. I think that the problem area is the point where the E brake bracket pivots on the brake backing plate. Water gets in and freezes with the brake on. In my case mentionne above the brake shoes were actually frozen to the drums.

Engine Bay full of snow (-30 to -35 degrees Celsius)
I can recall two occasions where I started my truck after a real bad snow storm. The parking lot for my appartment at the time was near the side of a hill and was very exposed. When I turned the key, the engine made a strange noise then snow was coming out arround the hood! :yikes: I killed the engine and opened the hood. My engine bay was stuffed with fine powdery snow. I cleaned some out and started the truck again with no other problems. It took 3 days for all the snow to melt and clear from the engine bay. The point of this, is to say that these trucks are reliable even in extremely cold and snowy conditions. I have never hesitated going out in a snow storm with this truck. I actually enjoy going out and driving in snow storms.

Gas line anti freeze.
You should also consider using some gas line anti freeze every few fill ups just to prevent frozen gas lines. During winter months, I use some every 5 to 10 fill ups just to be sure and have not had an issue to date.

Hope you find a few of these tips helpful.
Cheers,
P

Clay

Adventurer
Just FYI Pro Comp All Terrains are extreme weather rated as well.

Good luck on the trip, I cant wait to read all about it.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
One other thing that i havent seen mentioned yet it GLASS care/repair.

I remember getting a small chip on my windshield and once the weather got cold, it would spider big time. I can imagine the temps may test the window glass as well.

Something to think about.

Icewalker

Adventurer
Boston Mangler said:

I remember getting a small chip on my windshield and once the weather got cold, it would spider big time. I can imagine the temps may test the window glass as well.

Good point - another thing to bring along. Emergency windscreen material. I lost a side window while up that way - not due to the cold but because some nasty piece of work decided to smash my side window and steal stuff from the truck while we were in Whitehorse. Thank goodness it was on the way back and I had the emergency screen material - would of been a pretty cold and miserable trip back if I didn't.

Jeff

texas taco

Adventurer
just wanting to know are you going to sleep in the eezi awn, and if so are you adding any insulation to it or are you using a heater of some kind. any way happy and safe travels. from Texas.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Boston Mangler said:

That's a worthy point to consider. I would suggest bringing along a simple battery operated dremel tool with the smallest drill bit possible (think dental size). Then as soon as you get a chip that starts a crack, drill a hole into the glass just a hair after the end of the crack. Drill just a hair less than halfway throught the glass and then push the crack towards the hole. It will prevent it from spreading across the windshield.

I did a very, very, very short stint doing windshield repair years ago and picked up that tip.

Pete

articulate

Expedition Leader
The major update is that I'm going with them:
arctic_navara.jpg

:p
Just kidding.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
HAHA! I wish I was too. I may just have to make a trip out of it one year. THey must be real busy getting ready, havent heard any updates in quite some time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz