Are roof racks really worth it?

Sorry if this is a duplicate thread, I didn't find anything in my searches.

Back ground: 2006 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (LJ Rubi) purchased new in 2006. Bone stock until six months ago when winch was finally installed. This was never intended to be a primary vehicle, but I could no longer justify a pickup, a jeep, and a work truck. So, on to the question.

I am at a point where I need to either purchase a roof rack (Gobi Stealth or Gobi Ranger) or start saving the money towards a trailer.

Are roof racks really worth the cost and the labor of installing? I am doubtful given the dynamic weight rating of only 300 pounds on the Gobi racks. The rack would be used to haul the camp gear, recovery equipment, and guns that wouldn't normally fit in the LJ when fully outfitted.

da10A

Adventurer
I say trailer also, you take it when you need it and leave it when you don't... The wind noise alone justifies it.

A

AngryRedBird

This would depend on your fitness level.. Placing items on the roof of the without having a rack system that swings out or over to allow one easier access to the items on the roof will become a chore over the constant use or abuse. because we have the 08 wrangler 2 door and I've installed a half top.. I have a few more options within the confines of the roll cage.. we've currently look at the High Rock/Bestop storage tray/system which once installed and modified to be lighter.. will hold a few more items.. But again.. without upgrading the shocks/suspension/ and even tires that can withstand the added weight.. one could be asking for trouble. After all it is a balancing act and figuring out what one "really" needs while overlanding.

camodog

Adventurer
I love the roof rack. You can pile on firewood, a cooler, snowboards, extra fuel, large items from the stores (home depot, Ikea, Antique shopping, etc) You dont have to run home and get your trailer. The noise isnt that big of a deal and neither is the negated mpg, its a jeep!
There are more times I am happy have a roof rack than not. So to each their own.
PS-I also have an LJ
I do have a tuffy security drawer for sale if you are interested. I would be happy to meet you half way if you wanted it. PM me for details.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I only needed a roof rack for kayaks, and oncen a while for a 2nd spare and fuel. I carry camp equipment, moto gear, recovery equipment, and most kids toys and swimming pool inside.

I prefer clear roofline whenever possible and no trailer when thru camping. Put moto on hitch tray, not trailer.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
No. Huge mpg hit. Even when you're not actively using it. I had a very nice LabRak roof rack on my 100-Series Land Cruiser. It was great for providing a place to put things like an awning, shovel, axe, hi-lift, gas, water, lights, etc. But my highway mpg dropped from about 16 to 11 with a light bar and awning. It's also not a great place to store things from a physics standpoint. I try to keep as much as possible in the truck's slip stream.

And you won't take as much of a mpg hit with a trailer. It's also nice to distribute that weight across another axle and set of tires.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I love my Gobi rack. I can't claim to have noted a significant mileage drop, my 14 JKUR seems to have always gotten offensively low mileage. According to the trip computer, it went from about 17.5 bare and stock to 16.4 with the Gobi and a Tepui Tent on top.

I may someday also get a trailer, for ease of setting up camp and then leaving, but the rack will stay. Trailers restrict an awful lot of facets of life. Try parallel parking one, or backing up a trail...

In the end, there are people who love one or the other, but you can't argue faith with the faithful..

I think ultimately you can't make one vehicle do everything.

Good luck in your search.

bluehash

Adventurer
I would love a trailer. But I went for a Gobi Rack. It comes with its advantages:

• Most of my stuff goes up, giving room for me to sleep inside the JK.
  • I make sure that the roof is not loaded high so much so that it affects drivability or COG.
  • I was looking for a good M416 trailer to build on, but those that were available were in bad shape or needed alot of work to make them roadworthy.
  • I don't have a garage or off street parking to place the trailer.
  • I put wooden planks on my rack during the winter to protect the soft top from snow( north-east ). The top still looks like new. I also dont have to worry about hard top storage.
  • Wind was an issue, but easily solved with the wind deflector( takes a bit of work to get it right ).
  • My DIY limbrisers easily attach to the Gobi rack.
  • My mpg took <1mpg hit. I drive ~60mph. So not much of a difference.

I'm always on the lookout for a good trailer though. It just costs more - Title, insurance, maintenance, wheels... etc
I'll switch to that when I have a home or have more disposable income.

Here is a pic, when I went for a 900mile solo trip to the North Main Woods:
y4kacak.jpg

cECBl4b.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I don't like roof racks for people that wheel due to the cog shift.

Good for kayaks though. And for loading your buddy's crap when his Land Rover breaks down and you have to abandon it 'til you can find help...

I'm more of a trailer fan.

A

AngryRedBird

I thought the sole purpose of backwoods travel is to fit into tight places as compact as possible.. For instance.. While in WV the trail we took (New River Gorge) had fallen trees and other obstacles in the way.. If one was to enter this trail with the roof rack.. they would have to stop ever 10 mins and cut (using a chain saw) something out of the way.. This is one reason one should storage items within the the cargo area as well as within the roll cage.. But the displacement of these items is also important.. One might even have to relocate items forward more toward the engine area. Hence the 07 - 010 Wranglers have a 10'' gap (give or take) between the engine and radiator.. A perfect spot for the ViAir system.. which currently is in the back of the jeep. I'm not saying that I don't like the roof racks.. But in my current condition.. I would never be able to remove anything from the roof.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If highway mileage is a area of concern 65mph and up the racks eat into your mileage. From a utility stand point they are great. Though I find Craigs list Yakima or Thule gear to be plenty. 150lbs is alot of crap up high and you feel it in the turns. 300lbs yikes not my style

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
I haver a Gobi. It is only used for my kayak. I have a trailer but is so much easier to throw it on the rack and go and not have to worry about parkways.

I do like the look of the AEV but I haven't found any kayak options for it.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I had a Jeep Cherokee for 13 years and for 12 of those I had a roof rack on it. Most of those years I had permanently mounted a tire, shovel, and high lift jack. Obviously, I must have taken a hit on gas mileage, but it was not noticeable. With it there I traveled as far as Alaska and Mexico. I was also a guide in Moab for the Easter Jeep Safari. Besides Easter, I made a few trips a year to ride the trails in Moab. The Cherokee had a 5" lift and 33X10.5 tires. On the trails I disconnected the front sway bar and the rear sway bar was removed. The Jeep never felt top heavy or tippy due to the increased center of gravity. Now mathematically it should have, but it was never enough to cause concern. The only thing I did notice was the added utility. The other item the really helped with storage, was my pet divider. It allowed me to pack clear to the ceiling without gear falling into the back seat. Which was really needed because I was a Boy Scout leader, and had a lot to carry.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles