Are snorkels noisy

J!m

Usually the pre-filter looks like a pop corn popper on top. It spins the air as it goes in and centrifugal force pulls the heavy dirt to the outside as the clean(er) air goes down the middle. The collected dirt can then be dumped out.

The one I had was a Donaldson, purchased from ARB

wandererr

Adventurer
They help with dust and they lower the temps. I recently installed one and noticed a significant drop in the temp going into the air intake. Also at highway speeds I did get a small bump in MPG ;)

I run the AEV Snorkel and Pre-Filter on my JKUR and as others have said it is for dust control. Running trails in the Arizona desert is dusty business. I am typically the lead vehicle for the group I run with or I am solo and while I am not plowing through someone else's dust cloud, if the wind is trailing or swirling, I'm quite often in my own dust plume. The Pre-Filter does wonders at preserving the filter in my air box.

The OP asked about wind noise and I have to report that the snorkel itself does not make any noticeable wind noise, what I do notice is a whistling where the air vortexes through the underside of the Pre-Filter in one particular spot. A small piece of tape placed strategically on the grill under the Pre-Filter remedied this.

Last edited:

FelixHunziker

I’m considering installing a hood snorkel (like a HMMWV) on my ‘01 Jeep WJ and using something like this Spectre in-line filter kit. Any opinions on this product or approach?

The WJ’s stock intake is high on the front grille and I’ve already stalled once because I entered a creek too quickly. Positioning a low profile intake 2/3 up the hood should alleviate that concern and give me the option of threading on an extender tube should I ever be stupid enough to go that deep.

To still make a salient point on the OP, I’ve read build stories of cowl intake installations and those are apparently quite noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had the Mopar snorkel put on MY JLUR I had the dealer do it becasue it involved cuttingthe hood. Glad I did becasue they screwed it up cut he hood to much an dnow are buying a new hood for me. BUt back tothe point. I dinot notice any an I mean any as no nope nada sound difference. I di feel like I got a tinsy more hp out of it. Seat of the pants. But that maybe in all honesty because Iwas driving an underpowered hundai, for a day.

Jay61

You don't have to be in West Africa for tons of dust. I spent 10 days pretty much off road in Central Colorado this past summer, those trails would get so dusty at times, you could hardly breath outside your vehicle when other vehicles were around....so yeah, they serve a purpose in the States too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz