Are the newer FGs a viable option?

glennm01

I've read extensively about how the DEF-equipped FGs were plagued with various failures and multiple recalls at some point several years ago, and I'd like to know if this has all been resolved by now. Decent pre-DEF FGs are getting tough to find, at least here in the US, so I'm increasingly wondering if the new ones are worth looking at. Anyone with a newer Earthcruiser or newer custom FG build care to chime in with some real-world experience?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Computers make all vehicles better... right?
If only that were the case.

I don't know if all of the problems with the latest version of the US Fuso can be aimed solely at the DEF system.
From memory, there were also quite a few issues with the Duonic gearbox.

I can only assume that the American preference to drive automatic transmission vehicles is the reason you do not get the manual + low range model that we get in Australia.
In fact... we have never had an automatic transmission option for the 4x4 Canters; they have always been manuals.

kerry

Expedition Leader
One anecdote: I had my 99FG at the dealer for a brake job and wheel bearing service a couple of years ago. As I was paying up the service manager said to me "Don't ever sell your truck and get a new one" I asked why. He took me to his computer and pulled up one recent trucks' service record on the screen. It included tens of thousands of dollars in warranty repairs. It was awaiting tens of thousands more (to the EGR system as i recall). That's one truck, one dealer, one service manager, one opinion.

glennm01

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of, and it's actually a fear that extends to pretty much all new vehicles these days. Dark times when progress is dictated by environmental regulations and govt-mandated fuel efficiency standards, instead of what the marketplace actually wants. Anyway, I was sort of hoping we'd hear a few newer FG owners chime in and say how great their trucks have been so far. A man can dream...

StephenConey

Just wanted to chime in and say how great my truck is. Ok, only six months old but no regrets going for brand new vs pre duonic transmission. My wife and I are in the fortunate position that we have enough time on our hands that should something go wrong, which it hasn't yet, we can wait for it to be fixed. Because everything can be fixed. I have driven a Land Rover for the last 16 years, so believe me, I know a thing or two about the statement, "everything can be fixed".

Seriously my new truck is a delight to drive. I smile every time I get into it. Sure, I would would probably enjoy an older model just as much. I would add that all of the EC owners I have spoken to, truck reliability issues is not the first thing they bring up, regardless of the age of the truck. New or old, I think they are both viable choices based on your own personal criteria. I am happy to have DEF as I am putting less crap into our environment. If you plan to go to South America, pre-DEF probably makes sense.

glennm01

Good stuff, Stephen. Thanks for offering up the other side of the story. I'm aware that one could name pretty much any specific model year vehicle, and without much effort, find owners who love them, and owners who have had one problem after another.

I often wonder how much of the negative stories result from those who simply don't take care of the their vehicles. And I suppose any model is going to have the odd lemon, and those unfortunate owners will tend to be more vocal about it. As Lance suggested, maybe the happy owners are too busy using their rigs to be crowing about their awesomeness in online forums. So maybe we end up with a situation where 90% of the bad reviews reflect the experience of only 10% of the owners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz