Are they coming for us...(Kia, etc.)?

billiebob

Even mentions Mitsubishi specifically.

Initially that tax was going to just be on food products in retalliation for the tax on chickens but a looming election in 1964 plus the threat of an auto workers strike got Johnson thinking and to qwell the auto workers the chicken tax was also added to import light trucks. No strike and an election victory.

All the other tariffs were lifted in the 1960s, but no politician has had the balls to upset the auto industry so we will never seen the wonderful little 4x4s the rest of the world enjoys.

Today Ford imports the Transit van as a passenger vehicle and shreds the seats once landed in the USA.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Initially that tax was going to just be on food products in retalliation for the tax on chickens but a looming election in 1964 plus the threat of an auto workers strike got Johnson thinking and to qwell the auto workers the chicken tax was also added to import light trucks. No strike and an election victory.

All the other tariffs were lifted in the 1960s, but no politician has had the balls to upset the auto industry so we will never seen the wonderful little 4x4s the rest of the world enjoys.

Today Ford imports the Transit van as a passenger vehicle and shreds the seats once landed in the USA.
To get around it Toyota in the 1970s through as late as the 1990s was bringing trucks in without beds, which were made here. When they mated the bed it became assembled in the U.S. since the country of origin then (and perhaps still now) is determined by the last operation. Dewalt does this with some of their power tools I understand, putting the power cord on or some similarly trivial step thus allowing an angle grinder to fly the American flag.

billiebob

To get around it Toyota in the 1970s through as late as the 1990s was bringing trucks in without beds, which were made here. When they mated the bed it became assembled in the U.S. since the country of origin then (and perhaps still now) is determined by the last operation. Dewalt does this with some of their power tools I understand, putting the power cord on or some similarly trivial step thus allowing an angle grinder to fly the American flag.
And Subaru added seats in the bed of the Brat.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Mercedes has been doing the same with Sprinter vans. Disassemble the van and ship to US port as an incomplete vehicle then reassembling at the port to avoid the Chicken Tax.

Now that Mercedes has the new Sprinter assembly plant up and running in SC they no longer need to do this however they continue to do so with the 4x4 Sprinter vans which are still made exclusively in Germany.

Grassland

I've previously asked why Hyundai/Kia doesn't build a compact pickup, MAYBE a midsize (think Ridgeline). Especially if they went RWD. Jeep went unibody ages ago, but GC kept RWD based layout.
Hyundai are doing well with compacts and crossovers, so it makes sense they have gone larger cross over first to test market.

That being said, they have had a lot of problems with the Theta/Theta2 engine, and the 1.8 Nu series. And from what I am experiencing, and reading, also with the 2.0 Nu series. The quality of the Hyundai and Kia vehicles has climbed much since the early 2000s, but it still has a bit to go. Lambda V6 strikes me as better, but I haven't spent enough time looking into it.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I've previously asked why Hyundai/Kia doesn't build a compact pickup, MAYBE a midsize (think Ridgeline). Especially if they went RWD. Jeep went unibody ages ago, but GC kept RWD based layout.
Hyundai are doing well with compacts and crossovers, so it makes sense they have gone larger cross over first to test market.

That being said, they have had a lot of problems with the Theta/Theta2 engine, and the 1.8 Nu series. And from what I am experiencing, and reading, also with the 2.0 Nu series. The quality of the Hyundai and Kia vehicles has climbed much since the early 2000s, but it still has a bit to go. Lambda V6 strikes me as better, but I haven't spent enough time looking into it.
I think there are rumours of a Hyundai 'lifestyle' truck. The Santa Cruz..

There's also issues with the 2.4L. We just got a recall notice for ours. Depending on the outcome of the dealer inspection, the engine may be replaced on our 2011 Tucson. :oops:

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Look up the Hyundai Galloper or Terracan - both based off of the Mitsubishi Pajero/Montero/Shogun of one generation before. The Galloper is really obvious, but the Terracan is less so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne