ArmyGreens M416

atavuss

Adventurer
Wow! 130.00 for a new axle? I just spent over 150.00 for 4 new bearings and seals for my 1947 1/4 ton Bantam trailer (bearings and hubs are the same as early Jeeps).

worknplay

Observer
Good looking rebuild. I just picked up pretty much the same trailer as you. I am having a lockable top made, some jacks in the back for when its not hooked up, and a bumper with a 2" receiver.

My question, I have beed looking for the Dexter 55" 3500lb axle with a part # of NS35655I-ST-EZ. I can't find it. Went to etrailer and all I could find is the 60". Am I missing something (which could very well be the problem).

I think I will go that route with the axle, and yes not having the trailer brake will suck. But parts availability is a good idea.

Again, looks like great build.

Thx

armygreen

Adventurer

armygreen

Adventurer
Wow! 130.00 for a new axle? I just spent over 150.00 for 4 new bearings and seals for my 1947 1/4 ton Bantam trailer (bearings and hubs are the same as early Jeeps).

Yup. That why I went new. Plus the EZ lube zerks make it easy to re-lube without the need to tear it apart to lube the bearings.

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Just FYI, Nick Truck Parts had the e brake with manual park brake for about $75. Not much more than non park brake. It's worth the extra money in my opinion. I'm very glad to have it.

armygreen

Adventurer
Do you have a link to this parking brake?
All I can find is the one with electric brakes and parking brake which runs the price up to about $300 more than the basic.

Last edited:

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
I did have to cut off brackets from stock hubs and weld them to new. I tried to order new cables but could never get it done.

worknplay

Observer
I am not sure if it was a part # just for the place I picked it up from. Any trailer place, heavy duty truck place, tractor supply store can order it for you.
Try this part #. 35655I-ST
Here is a website that has them.
http://www.theoempartsstore.com/product.php?productid=21420&cat=755&page=4
I know Redneck trailers sells them as well. Here is a link for them.
http://catalog.redneck-trailer.com/advancedwebpage.aspx?cg=970&cd=5&SKUTYPE=202&SKUFLD=SKU&DM=1250&WEBID=71

Thanks for the info. Was pretty sure I was going that route, but after the other day, hooking up the trailer, going down hill, that parking brake sure came in handy. Might have to keep it. Could have gotten ugly!

Also, the shackle kit you got from Daystar, are those going on the back and replacing the "C hangers". I like that idea cause it would make mine level with both vehicles that I will be using it with. A 73 FJ40 and a 86 Toyota Truck,(pre-runner).

Question, am I missing something as far as using them in the back. How do they attach. Are you going to change the mount in the back for the springs?

Thanks

armygreen

Adventurer
No Problem.
The shackle does replace the C hanger. It is basically a shackle lift for on old CJ which had the same c hanger. They have bushings and just bolt on. Pretty simple and easy.
It should be going back together in the next week so I will post some pics when it is done.

armygreen

Adventurer
These are not my pics but just to give you an idea
This is what an overloaded C shackle could look like. Not mine.
6102200-S.jpg

Fully boxed should be much stronger.
th

6102201-S.jpg

worknplay

Observer
These are not my pics but just to give you an idea
This is what an overloaded C shackle could look like. Not mine.
6102200-S.jpg

Fully boxed should be much stronger.
th

6102201-S.jpg

Perfect....Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it! Gonna start a thread on mine. Just have to get all the pics lined up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles