AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

nieder81

My idea for an awning - I used a front runner awning and bracket mounted to structural angle iron attached to the habitat rack. I had to relocate the support post, but it does work pretty well, of course moving it to the opposite side is not really worth the hassle so I have to orient how I park.

367838-c77b60403fd0652c6a822b841197864e.jpg

367839-946cb11a1d3d577e15aee9a06b40d12e.jpg

367840-8fe42ac12d89277cf6b11419b7b65a15.jpg

367842-89c4ac357c2aa2db231fb268bd4b9678.jpg
What size awning did you use

seekoutbeauty

I would love to hear from those of you who own one and have been using it for a while now... What are your thoughts on these for the tacoma?
I currently run a snugtop rebel with a tepui rooftop tent, but I am looking at the GFC USA and Vagabond options.

Would love to hear some honest feedback.

kalieaire

Observer
I would love to hear from those of you who own one and have been using it for a while now... What are your thoughts on these for the tacoma?
I currently run a snugtop rebel with a tepui rooftop tent, but I am looking at the GFC USA and Vagabond options.

The biggest thing is tons and tons of room. It's kind of a hassle to put the tent away like tepui because you have to tuck everything in, except no zippers, so that's a plus, I wish there was room or straps to keep my bedding in place while closed, but that's life I suppose. If you want to be able to keep your bedding in place, you might want to go for a Vagabond since you can leave your heavy duty sleeping bags and wonderful down pillows in place. I can't say the same for GFC.

driller

old soul wanderer
I love the room, I made a drawer system with a fridge slide, so I stand on this platform when inside but the whole floor is clean and open. It takes me 3 minutes from parking the truck to climbing in bed. I actually timed it one night. 3:20 minutes to drive position and drive away. The light weight is really nice also. I have 12 gallons of pressurized water and can cook inside if i have to. I have only had this unit for 6 weeks and have 22 nights out already.

Graton

I’ve had the habitat for a little over a year and still love all the room it has. I looked at the Vagabond and GFC at Expo West and they are both good options, but I prefer the added room the Habitat gives you. Set-up is very quick and even by myself, I can take down the Habitat in about four minutes, with girlfriend, even faster. I like having the entire truck bed (6 feet) open and usable, while the “upstairs” is for sleeping.

seekoutbeauty

GFC I have eliminated.
So my question now is: Is the only reason to go with the habitat over the vagabond the ability to sleep more people?

seekoutbeauty

I prefer the Habitat over the Vagabond because the bed stays usable when someone is still in bed.

Not sure I am following you.
I think I understand that you can sleep on the back half of the habitat, and leave the bed area open to walk around in the morning while someone else may still be sleeping?

kalieaire

Observer
I was under the impression that the vagabond covers most of the truck bed area with the sleeping bed. Where the habitat truck bed is not covered from the sleeping bed.

there's 30" uncovered, if you're avg height, sitting down your head wouldn't hit the bottom of the bed. i have a 6 foot bed so there's plenty of room. I use the habitat in exceptionally windy areas w/ the top closed. interior space is similar to the vagabond. wiring is also a lot better with more channels for looms and switch panels than the habitat. The habitat is a real pain to wire switches at the ends. The vagabond includes locations for switch panels at all 4 corners. You should probably just take a look in person before ordering anything.

driller

old soul wanderer
So just spent a month on the road with the wife and big dog. The wife says she doesn't want to go that long again remote camping. But overall it worked out awesome. So after getting home some changes were made to the truck. Changed the suspension up a little bit and went with OME BP 51 front and rear. Added another leaf to the dakar rear leafs and headed back out to test it out. Should of done the suspension along time ago man what a difference.

Attachments

• 20181210_125953.jpg
    20181210_125953.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 190
Reactions: Ark

driller

old soul wanderer
Clarification on the wife not wanting to go that long again. She will go but only in the fifth wheel or the bigger camper.

Attachments

• 20181215_122525.jpg
    20181215_122525.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 101

driller

old soul wanderer
So after my last trip of setting up and moving everyday. The only thing i got tired of was pulling the bedding down every day, and setting the bedding up every day. Overall the setup is working wonderful. I have 8 gallons pressurized water, 2nd battery next to water tank, fridge, potty, and full kitchen. Everthing is mounted to the bed with drawers for kitchen and removable platform for everything else. The solar panel mounted on the roof of truck worked great. batteries were always charge even when slightly overcast.

Attachments

• 20181210_130130.jpg
    20181210_130130.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 138

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne