Attachments

• 20181210_130335.jpg
    20181210_130335.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 237
  • 20181210_130409.jpg
    20181210_130409.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 252

Rusty R

The MaxTrax holding pin bolts are long enough to go through the sides, we put SS fender washers on each side of the thread and use a nylock nut. Put Type II silicone in the holes to provide sealing against weather.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mario... do you have any recommendation for also mounting a shovel above/below the side mounted maxtraxs? I am wondering what brackets you have used in the past.

RGR

kalieaire

Observer
Anyone interested in a 6' longbed Tacoma Habitat?

I'm thinking about trying run lighter for the next year or two for more solo trips.

Josh41

Adventurer
New AT Habitat to me. I want to install racks on the roof. I read through Tacoma World's thread and this one. It looks like everyone like putting L Track on the roof with rivnuts. How do you then put cross bars across? Yakima would be my first choice, as I have three kayak racks and a ski rack for Yakima already.
Pic for attention.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
New AT Habitat to me. I want to install racks on the roof. I read through Tacoma World's thread and this one. It looks like everyone like putting L Track on the roof with rivnuts. How do you then put cross bars across? Yakima would be my first choice, as I have three kayak racks and a ski rack for Yakima already.
Pic for attention.
View attachment 514726
We use the aircraft track for the factory install, then make the crossbars. We believe it’s a good option as the track we use is military grade and allows for movable studs to attach the cross bars plus rings for attachment points.

I would steer you way from Yakima and Thule track as both of them use a thin extrusion for the rail. We saw a few rail failures when we used to use them on our trailers, the stuff is good for on road use but too weak for off road use in our opinion.

A better option would be Rhino Rack track, it’s beefier than the Yakima and Thule versions and we have not seen any issues with it.

For track attachment we use threaded inserts into the lid, put neoprene on the bottom of the track and attach with stainless flatbed bolts. Riveting the Rhino Rack track is also an option. I neither case your hole layout is critical to get everything to match up so spend some extra time on layout and center punching the holes.

Josh41

Adventurer
We use the aircraft track for the factory install, then make the crossbars. We believe it’s a good option as the track we use is military grade and allows for movable studs to attach the cross bars plus rings for attachment points.

I would steer you way from Yakima and Thule track as both of them use a thin extrusion for the rail. We saw a few rail failures when we used to use them on our trailers, the stuff is good for on road use but too weak for off road use in our opinion.

A better option would be Rhino Rack track, it’s beefier than the Yakima and Thule versions and we have not seen any issues with it.

For track attachment we use threaded inserts into the lid, put neoprene on the bottom of the track and attach with stainless flatbed bolts. Riveting the Rhino Rack track is also an option. I neither case your hole layout is critical to get everything to match up so spend some extra time on layout and center punching the holes.

Martyn,
Thanks for the response, what material are the inserts? Should they be aluminum to match the material or is stainless a better option for thread integrity. I do like the aircraft track, what fitting do you use to attach your cross bars? I used the rings as tie downs inside my FWC and noticed that the fitting are loose.

While I have you, I had a question about the finish. I have one from last June, solid sides in aluminum. If I want to remove a sticker, is it clear coated? Is there any residue remover like Goo be gone that won't discolor it?
Thanks
Josh

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Martyn,
Thanks for the response, what material are the inserts? Should they be aluminum to match the material or is stainless a better option for thread integrity. I do like the aircraft track, what fitting do you use to attach your cross bars? I used the rings as tie downs inside my FWC and noticed that the fitting are loose.

While I have you, I had a question about the finish. I have one from last June, solid sides in aluminum. If I want to remove a sticker, is it clear coated? Is there any residue remover like Goo be gone that won't discolor it?
Thanks
Josh

Josh, the skin of the Habitat is treated with Sharkhide clear coating to help prevent oxidization. If you use any solvent on it it will remove the coating and need to be reapplied.

The grade of aircraft track used has an effect on how snug the fittings work in the track, the rings are adjustable and removable so there is some play in them but not much. We use a 3/8" stud that fits into the track to attach the cross bars.

We use quite a few different materials in the construction of the Habitat and it's always a challenge to find what works best. You can use aluminum threaded inserts but they tend to be a little weak and there is an issue with direct contact between aluminum and stainless. We use zinc coated steel rivnuts and stainless hardware. I understand that we using dissimilar metals and galvanic corrosion is an issue, but we haven't seen any ill effects. The aluminum has a coating on it that helps, and the zinc on the insert is the most likely thing to corrode, where as a stainless bolt in aluminum will corrode the aluminum. As far as stainless bolt in the inserts, galling may occur but is less likely if the threads have lubricant on them or anti-seize.

Pic for attention.
View attachment 514726

Would you be so kinda as to measure the max height of your setup? I need something that fits in the garage.

Josh41

Adventurer
Took the Habitat out for the first time this weekend. Bed was perfectly comfortable, set up was a breeze. Kiddo was on a platform across the front with no complaints at all. Dog was another story, didn't understand why he was not invited up:).
Need to:
  • Hook up lights, having trouble finding the square weather pack plug.
  • Add battery and plug for solar suitcase for Dometic fridge
  • Add USB and 12V receptacles to the pillars.
  • Mosquito netting to entrance
  • Pockets to velcro to the carpeted sides for small stuff storage
  • Add L Track to roof (I did discover that Yakima landing pads will work on L track, the rectangular threaded tabs fit in the L track)
1st trip at local state park for Mother's day.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Mario... do you have any recommendation for also mounting a shovel above/below the side mounted maxtraxs? I am wondering what brackets you have used in the past.

RGR
I suggest the K9 axe & shovel brackets from Equipt1.com

Josh41

Adventurer
I'm getting bubbles in my carpet where the carpet is un-gluing. Any suggestions on how to re-adhere the carpet. And, I want to add carpet to the truck box sides, any leads on carpet to match and which spray glue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles