ATAS 120 install pics.

J_L

Observer
I decided to go with the integrated solution for my Yaesu FT-857. The ATAS-120 was pretty easy to install and works well for it's size. On 40 meters I made contacts easily during the day with 50 watts. If I could hear them I could work them.

atas120.jpg

I chose a front mounting point. The antenna is tuned to 7.245 Mhz so it's about as tall as it gets.

View attachment 7335

A Diamond K400 holds it firmly to the hood.

View attachment 7336

3/4" tinned braid grounds the antenna.

View attachment 7337

A common point for grounding was available behind the battery, the negative lead connects to the body on it's way to terminating on the engine block.

Overall I'm very pleased with this solution. It's the quietest mobile setup I've ever run, a pretty low profile compared to other screwdrivers and the radio controling the antenna via the coax is a real plus. Not having 80 meters is a minus but generating an rf wave that is 240 feet long is a tough proposition for all but the largest mobile antennas.

Last edited:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Very cool setup!

How stable is the mount? How much movement is there when you are on the trail? And how tall does the antenna go above the roofline of the truck?

Pete

J_L

Observer
The mount is really stable for a lip mount, but it's still a lip mount. I don't think I'd take it on trail above 2.5 Anything rougher and it would be too much torque, something might bend or break. It's a SO-239 connector so removal/replacement just takes seconds and the antenna stows behind the rear seat perfectly. The coil housing is a few inches higher than the roof and probably wouldn't take a real hard hit from a branch well. I see mobile HF as a stationary activity when off the graded track.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior