Aussie NP300 D23 Navara Mid Height Canopy Design and Build

mramvas

From concept to creation - designing and eventually building a mid height canopy that enables a good weatherproof enclosure for all the necessary gear while keeping the height lower than a traditional canopy. Inspiration from a fellow Aussie with a similar mindset!

mramvas

Hey guys and girls, I recently joined the forum upon finding a fellow Aussie "Hagar" who has designed and built a ************ half height canopy for his Holden Colorado Utility. After flooding his build thread with all my own inquiries ive decided to start my own!

Scope: design a half / mid height utility canopy that enables the use of a roof top tent on top so as height of vehicle roof and roof top tent stay on a similar plane. I carry a stand up paddle board on the existing Rhino Vortex clamp on roof racks so height needs to stay in check.

Materials: Much like Hagar, I have limited resources at my disposal, however I plan to use an aluminium skeleton frame to eventually be cladded in marine ply or if the budget stretches, light weight plate alloy or checkerplate.

I will post some initial ideas I have mocked up using basic Microsoft products and hopefully be able to update this thread regularly with my ideas. Wish me luck! LOL!

Attachments

• Nav half canopy.JPG
    Nav half canopy.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 33

mramvas

Due to carrying a paddle board, I need the height of the storage area to be lower, plus I don't like the look of full height canopies. I had made a "baja tub rack" but was useless unless covered since I don't want gear getting wet.

Crude mockup of the design and profile but you get my ideas.

Attachments

• End view of canopy profile.JPG
    End view of canopy profile.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC03487.JPG
    DSC03487.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:

mramvas

Has anyone got any experience in the strength of aluminium Tee sections? I am looking to use these as tie down rails along the top outer edges of the canopy load surface. The aluminium tee section is 40mm x 40mm x 3m with 20mm ID holes drilled at maybe 100mm centres and the whole tee section will be bolted to an aluminium rail along both sides of the canopy (aluminium rail is the canopy skeleton). Picture below is not to scale but gives the idea I am looking for.

I want to use these for function and aesthetics.
Cheers!

Attachments

• tie down rail aluminium.JPG
    tie down rail aluminium.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 6

mramvas

Rough profile of the finished height / shape. Thanks to Hagar for essentially being the catalyst for my build. After days of searching I chanced upon a pic in a google search that inspired this design concept stage.
IMG_7362.JPGIMG_7362.JPGIMG_7362.JPG

mramvas

So I have mocked up a better drawing of my concept, looking to get some feed back on the angle back door. The NP300 Navara ute have a silly plastic wing on the rear which if removed, the panel is not straight across like a traditional pickup back is. Trying to think if a way to at least weatherproof this part. Was considering running an aluminium t piece along the back, so the lower section affixes to the inner of the tailgate, then the top sits proud of the top of the tail gate providing a mating surface for the canopy rear door to close / latch on to.

The small issue ill have is the NP300 Navara tub has two radius rear corners instead of being relatively right angled like most tub designs. Hence the triangular panels to shape this curve. Ideally id love to have this a smooth curve, but unsure of how to build this.

Any better ideas out there? Cheers guys!

Attachments

• mockup angle.JPG
    mockup angle.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 16

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hey Mramvas how about making the roof section a little longer so that it goes past the tailgate. That way you could make a fold up door that covers the bed and closes at the botttom on a template that extends past the area were the top of the tailgate is. That way your new top would provide rain cover when its raining outside. Even with the funny angled corners of your bed you could just build a triangular piece that extends a little longer than your truck bed. That way the canopy is a little longer, but also provides protection. I hope this helps. Cheers, Chilli..:cool:

mramvas

Hey Mramvas how about making the roof section a little longer so that it goes past the tailgate. That way you could make a fold up door that covers the bed and closes at the botttom on a template that extends past the area were the top of the tailgate is. That way your new top would provide rain cover when its raining outside. Even with the funny angled corners of your bed you could just build a triangular piece that extends a little longer than your truck bed. That way the canopy is a little longer, but also provides protection. I hope this helps. Cheers, Chilli..:cool:
Hey Chilli, yeah I was hoping to go for a sloped back design but can see the benefits of this. I might buy some cheap pine, make a mock up frame, throw some cheap bracing sheets of ply on it to get a feel of where it all sits. Ive seen a few canopys here in Oz that have a really nice moulded lip that goes over the funny spoiler thing on the tail gate. I have sourced some Aluminium checker plate for a decent price about AUD$76 for 2400x1200x2.5mm so I was considering moving away from the ply that Hagar had used on his, just for a different design. If I went that way, I wouldn't need to fit a separate rack on top of the canopy as being aluminium, being inherently harder wearing and stiffer. Thanks mate!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94