Australian Military No. 5 Trailer - a work in progress

4wdswagman

Wanderer
This is the first post in a series chronicling the transition from beatup old army trailer to offroad adventure trailer.
Here's a picture of the trailer behind one of my two Land Rover 110 Perenties
20200703_142117.jpg
We'll use that as the "before" picture.

My mods are mostly reversible since I am a member of a military vehicle club and display the trailer and vehicles. Here's a rundown of what's planned -

- Treat minor rust under the trailer and under the wheel arches.
- Prime and repaint the underside of trailer olive drab as per factory specifications
- Take approx 10mm off the vertical uprights on the trailer canopy frame - this will help save the canvas cover from ripping as mine has.
- Prep, prime and respray inside of tub olive drab
- Add rivnuts for a modular pickup/ute tub rack
- Respray trailer ADF green/black/brown camouflage
- Repair busted seams in original OD canvas canopy
- Modify original OD canvas canopy so it fits around the tub rack using velcro and rubber
- Purchase a full camouflage No. 5 trailer canopy for use when the tub rack isn't fitted
- Assemble and install the pickup/ute tub rack onto trailer
- Prime then paint assembled and fitted tub rack ADF green/black/brown camouflage
- Make up a rear stand to fit the rear hitch on the trailer for stabilization
- Paint rear stand paint olive drab
- Fit a cargo/firewood basket to ute tub rack
- Fit awnings to either side of the ute tub rack
- Fit trailer with RFSV split rims running Cooper Discoverers
- Fit a Discovery spare wheel carrier to the front of the trailer (bolt-through with backing plates)
- Fit two jerrycan carriers to the rear of the trailer

The rationale behind the mods is that the trailer can still be displayed as a military trailer, and it retains its water tight trailer bed for use as an improvised boat when fitted with a pair of empty jerrycans on the draw bar and an outboard motor on the tail.

In use it will carry extra fuel, water, equipment, etc. One of the side awnings will be used as a shelter for camp kitchen, etc. and the other side will be used for an awning tent.

There are no mechanical mods required for the trailer. It uses the same 235/85/R16 tyres as the vehicle and the trailer has a similar lift to the vehicle it tows very well on and off road straight out of the box, and the only thing I MIGHT do to it is install a wider axel so the track matches the Perentie. As standard the No. 5 trailers match the track of the Series Land Rovers and these are a little narrower than a Perentie. I haven't personally had any issues off road due to the narrower track of the trailer, but I can see how it could be a serious problem in some circumstances when towing the trailer with a Perentie.

If you're wondering what these "Ute Tub Racks" are, they are a generic thing sold by a variety of retailers in Australia and presumably elsewhere in the world.
Here's a pic of one fitted to a No. 5 Trailer like mine.
307963702_634974664860281_4923375343872563554_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke