Auto Technica Garage's Rally raid project!

Monterito88

Will you keep the stock front differential
So the suspension plan is going to be adjustable coilover up front with longer arms and hydro bump stops and 4-link rear with either coilover or seperate coil/shock in the rear.
stay tuned!

kuroi

Chief mud inspector
picture dump of random stuff...

IMG064.jpg

IMG062.jpg

IMG061.jpg

IMG060.jpg

IMG058.jpg

IMG056.jpg

IMG_20120923_134602.jpg

IMG_20120903_191032.jpg

kuroi

Chief mud inspector
So got some gen 2 parts and did a few modifications, netted a little bit of travel
IMG384.jpg

IMG385.jpg

old stuff
IMG386.jpg

all gone
IMG387.jpg

New stuff in at full droop
IMG394.jpg

IMG399.jpg

IMG404.jpg

IMG388.jpg

and full up
IMG393.jpg

IMG398.jpg

Bigger shocks, bump stops, modified shock mount and more to come

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
It would not be possible for me to like a montero build more than this one. Great work! There's a lot of similarities with my 73 wagon swap. i'm going through this thread with a fine toothed comb.

kuroi

Chief mud inspector
Thanks for the love! id like to find an early 70's gallant one of these days, the setup in this truck would go nicely in one. As far as travel it has nine inches of useable top to bottom swing measured at the hub. Big improvement from the 3-4" factory allotment. i think I'm going to ditch the ball joints for uniballs and possibly some tubular upper arms for better shock clearance

Last edited:

Justice R

Adventurer
John Baker used to make tubular upper A Arms for the gen 1 back in the early 90's. I wish I could have gotten my hands on a pair. They were a little over 700 bucks back then so at the time and still are out of my price range.

87monty

HI Kuroi! I am really glad to see this setup, I am in the process as well, my 2.4 is near completion. Off-roader has posted a link in 4x4wire about this thread.
I am very impressed indeed. I do have one question, what was your timing belt set up procedure? this is one of the last steps that I have left.
Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

kuroi

Chief mud inspector
I used one aftermarket adj. timing sprocket and one intake sprocket from a galant gs and the timing belt as well. you could use two adjustable cam sprockets and a 2.4 twin cam t-belt and make life pretty easy.

87monty

I used one aftermarket adj. timing sprocket and one intake sprocket from a galant gs and the timing belt as well. you could use two adjustable cam sprockets and a 2.4 twin cam t-belt and make life pretty easy.

OK cool I have the 2.4 t belt but im using the stock 2.0 gears at the moment. I may go with the adjustable ones to dial it in.
IMG_1612.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior