Auto Technica Garage's Rally raid project!

kuroi

Chief mud inspector
Back from the dead.
Had a sagging passenger rear leaf spring. I contemplated having them reworked by a suspension shop/blacksmith but rebuild was going to cost $140.Went to Pick N Pull and got the leaves out of a mid 90's Montero sport at $49 each it was a great deal.

So, they are almost a direct bolt in... almost
1st gen on top, sport on the bottom
DSC_0055.jpg

The main difference is the bushing at the front of the leaf, 1st gen is an all rubber deal, sport uses a semi-solid metal/rubber bushing
leafbushing.jpg

and the front pin bolt is different
pincompare.jpg

1st gen
1stgenpin.jpg

Monty sport
2ndgenpin.jpg

The shackle end of things is pleasantly very similar
shackleend.jpg

and the shackles are identical
sameshackles.jpg

Back to the pins, So I decided the best way to deal with this was to turn down the 1st gen pin so it would fit into the Monty sport semi-solid bushing
turningpin.jpg

turningpin2.jpg

End result, a bolt in Monty sport rear leaf spring as the front pin now fits the bushing.
moddedpin.jpg

In general aside from being a lot newer the Sport springs are a better design. They have longer middle leaf length and some other nifty design features as well as a better inter leaf slider design. road test was good, ride was ever so slightly firmer and the back felt more " in control " with less sway. I think I'll keep them.....

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I did the same thing on my Gen 1 when I swapped the locking Sport 9.5" rear end. I've had problems bending Gen1 leaf springs so with the Sport springs having the military wrapped end the problem has been solved. I had to clearance my spring hanger on the front side to not rub on the spring, it was an annoying squeak.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Montero Sport is a Mighty Max with an SUV body, but you're probably right that the first or second Gen Mighty Max spring pins might match the Gen 1 Montero.

I know you know this Rx, that was more for everyone else's information.

sami_voodoo

@RallyeKraft
I'm currently doing a 1UZFE swap in my '88 L144 (coil rear). What are the parts required for this swap? Does it increase track as well? I see that you have upgraded your calipers as well.

Any input is appreciated.

Regards,
Sami

So got some gen 2 parts and did a few modifications, netted a little bit of travel
IMG384.jpg

IMG385.jpg

old stuff
IMG386.jpg

all gone
IMG387.jpg

New stuff in at full droop
IMG394.jpg

IMG399.jpg

IMG404.jpg

IMG388.jpg

and full up
IMG393.jpg

IMG398.jpg

Bigger shocks, bump stops, modified shock mount and more to come

pagemo

Thanks for a great thread on your project I would love to see or hear an update and any details on the gen 2 ifs swap.....?

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
I love when these older threads are revived and brought to the attention of newer forum members like me. Thanks Inc.X.

Now after reading the whole thing I'm asking the same question as Josh.

irish44j

Just read this one, sad it didn't seem to end anywhere. I know he said he was building it for Rally America (now defunct)...I've been around the rally scene for a while (RA and now ARA) and haven't seen any Monteros running the stages in the US (maybe mine will be the first, next year, as our recce vehicle), though we do a have a Mighty Max or two still competing here and there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier