Auxiliary Battery Box With Additional Space For Electrical Components

I have been in search of a battery box for a Group 31 battery with additional space for mounting additional electrical components. I must be the pickiest person in the world as my requirements eliminate the typical marine type boxes. I want a sealed box with no protruding fasteners inside the box. A box is no good if it is going to leak or rub holes in the battery. This is why typical marine boxes would not work for me, no additional clearance inside the box to mount electrical components on the outside. I wanted a box that I could remove if not needed or use as a portable supply if needed elsewhere. I don't want to use footman loops mounted to floor or bolts inside the box to secure the box. All mounting must keep the floor flush so large items can be slid in and out without raised fasteners in the floor when not using battery.

I think I have found a valid candidate. A company named Standard Fabrications in Ennis, Texas makes a line of battery boxes called DBox. They offer 3 configurations from basic to fully loaded. Although they state for group 24 and 27 batteries there is enough room for a group 31. There is also plenty of room on the lid to mount components without worrying about touching top of battery. As with anything custom like this they are not cheap like typical battery boxes.

Here are the 3 different boxes they offer off the shelf. They do offer customization if you are not inclined to mount your items or do electrical wiring. I am in no way connected with the company and have not received any compensation for this post. It is just something I stumbled across this morning. I thought I would share with the group in case someone else wishes something more than the typical plastic box.

https://dbox12.com/

The basic box DX100 designed for do it yourselfers like me. Only two items I noticed that did not meet my criteria. First is that it has a square hole in each corner in the bottom of the box, easily sealed with rubber feet. Second is there is no exterior mounted flange so that I can mount it to my floor. Also easily cured with some aluminum angle and knob type male threaded fasteners. I can then use closed end rivet nuts mounted in the floor.
DBox_DX100_x600_Orange_1024x1024.jpg
DBOX_InteriorAx600_1024x1024.jpg

The middle of the road DX200 box with 120 VAC charge inlet and jumper terminals.
DBox_DX200_Battery_Box_x600_a2c8beff-dafc-49d6-9d85-84a8c4f36dfb_1024x1024.png

The fully equipped DX300 with power ports, USB charger ports, 120 VAC charger inlet, and jumper terminals.
DBOX_DX300_Battery_Box_x600_ba1cf2f3-3765-43f8-b415-6b31d63b6c03_1024x1024.png

Notice the additional room:
DBOX_InteriorB_x600_fad95a8a-178f-4288-8ae8-b788903b4da8_1024x1024.jpg
dbox_wiring1_1024x1024.jpg

DBOX_DX300_Inside1_03493e6a-46ea-474a-a109-2d51ce966eec_1024x1024.jpg

john61ct

Adventurer
Wow, fancy stuff!

Note for DIYers on a budget, marine ply can be covered with fiberglass cloth then saturated with several coats of epoxy.

There is also special batt-acid resistant paint.

I would not seal too tightly even for sealed batts, FLA should be well vented if sparky gadgets are in the same box, boom bad.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
That looks great man. That is an impressive solution to a non existent problem ;) I do really like what you did, but I was good with quality tin coated copper terminals, glue lined heat shrink and hydraulically crimped, and marine rated electronic components (fuse panels, relays and breakers) and I hope to be fine. However, we have an advantage with relatively no humidity here in Colorado. If I lived back in the south where I grew up, your solution looks like absolute overkill awesomeness!

Really, that is a superb execution for what you designed it for. Well done.

DBox did that I didn't. I was just showing off their offerings. I am interested in the basic box with no electrical components. I too can handle all the component mounting and wiring. Because I run a third battery in the rear of the vehicle I needed additional room to mount components in or to the box itself. A standard plastic box just is not going to cut it for me.

I was merely sharing what I found in case there was someone besides myself that may want more than just a plastic box in the back.
You claim a non-existent problem. That maybe true in your case but every vehicle every install is different. Who knows maybe someone out there may want a totable, luggable, hefty portable solution with a 100Ah capacity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94