axle opinions

Anarchy Joe

Observer
To those running 31/33 inch tires on your trailers, what size rims are you running and what is the total length on your axle?

For example, if you run a 4 ft wide trailer with 31's what is the length of your axle? just trying to avoid spacers and get the right axle sett up the first time.

Pics would be shaweeet.

thanks

A-Joe

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
It depends on the rim offset and the full inflated width of the tire.

16x8 rims are pretty commonly located

Then depending on the articulation, 2 or more inches from the tire to the body of the trailer as it angles in during articulation

Frame width + 2"
Plus the offset of rim offset + Tire offset from the rim

So basicly buy the tire and rim you want- then put under trailer where you want it to be and then measure from inside the wheel hub face to the frame plus frame plus second side.

It all depends on the wheels and tires and articulation required

Ryan Matthes

Adventurer and Explorer
tagging on to this as I have been looking for an axle - upcoming trailer build in the works. Want to go with a solid axle - is there any place that will sell an axle setup ready to bolt on a JK Wheel? Tried searching, coming up with the Timbren option only.

Thanks in advance

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I think your post lacks some needed info...like what type of wheel (manufacturer) your planning on using, are they hub centric or lug centric...are trying to fit an axle under an existing trailer...new?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
tagging on to this as I have been looking for an axle - upcoming trailer build in the works. Want to go with a solid axle - is there any place that will sell an axle setup ready to bolt on a JK Wheel? Tried searching, coming up with the Timbren option only.

Thanks in advance

Yes and no.

I've not bought that many trailer axles in my life, but they have never included the hubs - I've always bought those separately. So in that regard, no, they don't sell a bolt in ready axle to fit a JK wheel.

But, the trailer supply houses I've bought from (always local, so I can go in & talk to them) have a good selection of hubs on the shelf, so they've always been able to get me both the axle & hubs that I needed at the same time. So, in that regard, yes, you can buy both the axle & hubs to fit a JK wheel "off the shelf".

OK - I'm assuming that you can get a hub with what ever the JK wheel bolt pattern is - it's a popular wheel, so I'd be really surprised if you couldn't. I've never had a problem finding the right hubs for what ever wheel I was using.

I always buy the axle based on the intended load of the trailer (minimum I've bought was 3500#, due to wanting the larger bearings), then buy the hubs that fit that axle + your intended wheels, & then buy the springs based off of your intended load - including any sprung weight of the trailer. The springs ratings don't need to match the axle. My last trailer used 1250# springs and a 3500# axle. The oversized axle gave me the larger bearings, and the undersized (vs axle rating) springs let the suspension work with the intended load. A 3500# axle with 3500# springs & a 1000# load don't play that well together.

dstock

Explorer
The issue with the JK specific wheels is they are hub centric and the hub hole on the wheel is too small to fit over the standard Dexter hub, so you have to use 2" spacers or machine out your wheels. The spacer width needs to be factored into the axle width. Getting JK bolt pattern is not an issue. See my trailer build in my sig for details.

Ryan Matthes

Adventurer and Explorer
thanks all for the replies - I should have been clearer in my question. I get all of the factors that you mention...what I am really looking for is a hub that will fit the JK wheel - without a spacer, without machining out the JK wheel. Most likely going the spacer route - that is the current plan.

Thanks

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Maybe this will give you an idea.
I'm gathering parts to build an axle for a trailer to be towed by my Rovers. They all have full floating axles with a stub axle that bolts to a flange welded to the axle tube.
I'm just going to source some appropriate tube, weld flanges to each end and bolt on the stub axles.
FRC8005P.jpg

I can then use Land Rover hubs and mount Rover wheels to them. That gives me two spare tires and wheels and, unlikely needed, but also two spare hubs.

If JK hubs can't be done like this, perhaps you can find hubs from something that has the same bolt pattern.

Last edited:

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
thanks all for the replies - I should have been clearer in my question. I get all of the factors that you mention...what I am really looking for is a hub that will fit the JK wheel - without a spacer, without machining out the JK wheel. Most likely going the spacer route - that is the current plan.

Thanks

It's not possible to do what you want to do - the spindles are physically too large to fit through the center bore on the JK wheels. You must either machine out the center bore in the wheels, or buy an axle that's 3.5-4.0" narrow and run 1.75-2.0" spacers that adapt to the JK wheels' hubcentric design. That's what I did and it has worked out great. I had an axle custom made to my specifications and shipped to me by Down To Earth Trailers onto which I bolted 1.75" spacer/adapters from Motorsport Tech. Sure, I could have bored out the JK wheels to fit a 5x5 trailer hub, but that would have defeated my purpose of being able to run my JK's spare wheel/tire assembly and avoid having to carry a trailer-specific spare. I've been lugging around a spare tire for my trailer for years and just wanted to be done with it! And now, if I ever change vehicles, all I need to do is replace the wheel adapters with new ones specific to whatever wheels my future tow rig uses.

whatevah

Observer
Fwiw, for my trailer, I'm using 5x5 hubs on 3500lb spindles but using aftermarket steel wheels instead of factory (Jeep) aluminum wheels. The aftermarket steel wheels have a larger bore opening that'll clear the hubs (all aftermarket steel wheels -that I know of- are lug-centric so they have larger bores to work on a wider range of vehicles). In an effort to only carry one spare, I have a 2" spacer in the tongue box so that I can use the Jeep spare on the trailer if necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles