axles torsion with leafs ?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Huh, are you talking about attaching a torsion axle to leaf springs? That makes no sense, do you understand the difference between the two?

dirtgimp

Yes I understand the difference . I am thinking if you use them together your trailer would get more flex .

dirtgimp

I'm thinking I could build an A arm to mount the half axle to then use a modified truck leaf .

The truck leaf would be main support , as for the bounce I'm thinking some good shocks should take the bounce out of it .

The though behind this is independent trailer suspension with lots of flex .

SamM

Adventurer
Why not just mount a Timbren unit on an A-arm that dropped away from the frame! It would provide all the flex you wanted. You could even add shocks to get more support and limiting straps, to keep it in check. My old Toyota FJ-40 had a quarter elliptic 4-link that had 40" of travel. Full leaf springs are not the way to get travel. Just my opinion.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
You are totally destroying the idea behind the torsion axle. Independent suspension, straight up and down action, no twisting, very little bounce if the right weight is used. I honestly can not see any advantage to it, but many disadvantages, some listed already.

It would be unique though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles