B.C., Whistler and beyond (Fall '06)

paulj

Expedition Leader
I'm planning a leasurely camping/hiking/backroads trip this fall. Basically it will be a loop north from Vancouver on 99 as far as Lillooet, then south along the Fraser, with side trips as time and vehicle (Honda Element) allow. If anyone is familiar with this area, comments would be welcomed.

Besides Backroads Mapbooks, I have a pdf description of some backroads from
http://www.geopath.ca/productsEXBC.html

Some places that I am planning visiting are:
Golden Ears Prov Park
Stawamus Chief PP (Squamish)
Stawamus Indian Arm Forest Service Road
Brandywine Falls PP
Brandywine Meadows FSR
Nairn Falls PP
(some other side roads and hikes in the Whistler area)
Hurley FSR to Gold Bridge
Mission Pass to Seaton Portage
Highline road along Anderson Lake (iffy)
Duffy Lake Road
Hurley Mine and Blowdown Pass from the Duffy Lake area
Part of the West Pavillion FSR north from Lillooet (does this go through
to the Big Bar ferry?)
Skagit Valley and Ross Lake - as time allows

I've driven 99 before, but this time intend to take more time and see more stuff off the main road.

paulj

paulj

Expedition Leader
Just got back today. It went pretty much as planned, though the first week was a bit rainy. I'll post some pictures once I get them downloaded. The highlights were:

- Anderson Lake Highline Road, with tirecutting shale 'gravel'
- moving rocks on a Seton Ridge Road switchback
- West side of Fraser River between Lyton and Lillooet, 60km in 2hrs
- getting lost on forest roads across the north edge of the Thompson Plateau.
- hiking in Manning

paulj

photos here:
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=36648&posted=1#post36648

Last edited:

Charger92

Very nice trip you had!
I wish I would have joined this site earlier and found your post. I would have met you some where around the area you were in. My wife and I travel around that area quite a bit.
My wife's parents have a cabin at Gun lake, very close to Carpenter lake.
The Hurley road sure takes it's toll on the rattles, they suddenly appear in evey location. Did you find any new squeeks and vibes you didn't have before?

If you ever get a chance to travel that area again let me know I will join you for part of it and maybe show you some new areas to head down.
I can pretty much keep you on FSR and back roads with amazing views, wildlife, lakes and camping all the way from Vancouver to Bella coola. Then you take an over night barge that you camp right on, back to Vancouver.
The road less traveled.

Keep up with the trips it was nice to see some of my home woods in here.

paulj

Expedition Leader
We did make a loop around Gun Lake - or rather, climbed up from the south side, and returned to Carpenter Lake from the north end. We looked at the FS rec site on the west of Gun Lake, but didn't see much level space. We ended up camping at the Hydro site at the mouth of Gun Creek - had the campground to ourselves.

From the descriptions I've seen, I doubt if my car (Honda Element) would handle roads north of Mud Lakes. I considered taking the West Pavillion Road up the west side of the Fraser to the Big Bar Ferry, but opted instead for the shorter west side road between the Lyton Ferry and Lillooet.

On an earlier trip (in 2004) we drove to Bella Coola. On the way up we crossed Pavillion Hills, and dropped down the High Bar road, and looked at the Big Bar ferry. On the return, I choose the 90 mile 'short cut' Riske Creek through Gang Ranch (crossing on the Gange Ranch bridge) to Big Bar Park. We also camped on the shores of Tatlayoko Lake.

Of course when traveling alone, I'm more cautious when it comes to mud and places where I could get stuck. I haven't had a chance to caravan with a more capable truck. I'll keep you offer in mind.

paulj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz