Back Country Communications

ratled

Adventurer
They changed it in 2017 so that GMRS is now equivalent to FRS, the only frequencies that require a GMRS license now are repeater inputs or anything over a certain power level.. otherwise its all unlicensed now, since nobody was buying licenses.

I do have a license tho, and have had one for a good while.. the nice thing about GMRS is I'm allowed to let anyone in my family operate under my license without one of their own.. I have a license because I run a GMRS repeater out of my trailer, and my family uses the GMRS inputs.. but I can hand a handheld to my buddy and talk simplex as we caravan through the mountains and he dont need a license.

and @deserteagle56 has a good point, I'm lucky here in Colorado we have a great repeater network and I find most mountain areas do because its sooo easy.. but if your in desert or canyon environment, yeah thats not gonna happen.. might checkout the 2m repeater locations and coverage areas for your specific back country before investing too heavily in getting a HAM setup.

You dont need a sat phone, you can just get an emergency beacon as backup if all other forms of communication fails.. I my self intend on adding one to my kit here soon.
Good to know!

Thanks

ultraclyde

Observer
I just got my ham license last week for this very reason. Studied for a week with hamtestonline ($25) and got 100% on the exam. Check Laurel VEC for a club giving the test for free in your area. I spent about $100 on a Chinese handheld ham radio, a magnet mount antenna, and a remote mic. This gives me a basic mobile system to work with until I decide what higher end system I want to put together. The little radio only puts out about 7 watts, but I can cleanly and clearly hit repeaters 10-15 mi away in our fairly flat area because of the exterior antenna.

My impression so far is that they're right, someone is always listening on 2m ham. I ran a CB in a pickup about 15 years ago, and even then you only got traffic near the interstates unless you were out with a group specifically. I certainly wouldn't want to rely on it around here for running solo.

Phaedrus

There is plenty of good advice in these posts, however, If I was equipping my Jeep all over again, I would start with a Garmin inReach Explorer. In my 2012 JKU I have CB, Dual Band HAM mobile, Dual Band HAM HT's, and FRS HT's. Each has its unique advantages/best purposes and disadvantages. My wife and I are frequently away from any single resource that we could reach by cell phone or radio and rely on 100% for assistance/rescue. Two of my fellow adventurers have inReach Explorers that they carry in their Jeeps and also use backpacking in Wyoming's Wind River Mountains. After being around them being used and communicating with those that have them from afar, for sure fire emergency communication and the ability to communicate casually with family and friends it seems to me that the inReach is hard to beat. Although I don't own one YET, If I was starting with a clean sheet of paper, I would buy the inReach first, and I will have one before heading to Utah in September.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It depends on what you need. I've had a Spot for a couple of years now and it serves it purpose, tracking and a fairly reliable SOS. I decided against the 2-way InReach on cost vs value, I simply didn't need to be that in touch with anyone since the point was to be away from the stress and 24/7/365 on the bike or in the truck.

There's a mix of things. Ham radio has been a hobby for a long time, so it's a natural for me solo or in a group. CB by default, sometimes FRS or GMRS if that's someone else's choice. I have a cell phone because in the modern world it's required. I used to have a EPIRB that's now usually replaced with the Spot. There's no single solution that fits everyone's requirements.

Groups I travel with are starting to embrace APRS, which offers geo-location quite well without needing to be texting back and forth. If someone has set up camp they just leave their beacon on and I'll find them, sometimes even being able to track them across the state, sometime not being within range of a digi-peater it's only within a few miles simplex. If it's a real geek (like me) we'll sometimes bounce positions off the ISS, which we hams' use as a free satellite tracker, albeit with just a few passes every day.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I've been a HAM operator since college. Our 4wd club started with everyone having CB's, but they run out of range quite quickly in the woods, and during times of high sunspot activity, there's too much static. A few of my friends got their HAM technician license, and they sucked the rest of us in. The local HAM clubs had several repeaters in the area, so with 2m, and the ability to autopatch to a land line when needed, we were pretty much good to go.

FWIW, only one of my friends had a cell phone at the time. :)

I still have CB and 2M radios in the truck and Jeep. I'm not terribly active locally, but I just picked up two more commercial radios that I'll put in our other vehicles, pre-programmed to local repeaters and my favorite simplex channel.
I also have two cheap little Baofeng HT's programmed with all the FRS/GMRS channels and local 2M repeaters. They're handy little units, and the wife and I use them with helmet headsets when we're on the motorcycles.

For final emergency communication, nothing beats the Irridium network. We ended up buying a Dolorme InReach a couple years ago. It was our only form of communication for two weeks of Baja, and often for a week at a time backcountry camping. We're still on the $20/month unlimited plan, but I'm going about to drop it to the $10 plan and just pay for tracking when we want it... The wife carries it for longer trail runs so I know where she is, and I'd not be without it at this time.

Charles R

Adventurer
Just bought the Garmin InReach SE+ through a members only deal the Costco is having this month. $289+ free shipping

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Just did the ID BDR and the InReach was great to have. I was able to text my wife daily (well more than once) to let her know how I was doing and the tracking let her keep up on my progress. It also helped get a friend caught up with us in the middle of nowhere as he could text me and let me know how far behind he was so we could wait for him.

As a group we all used 2 meter radios for vehicle to vehicle comms but couldn't rely on that for outside contact.

Phaedrus

FYI, Costco just dropped the price on the Garmin InReach SE+ by another $60.00. Their price is now $229.99 through most of September.

snare

Adventurer
I have a 2m/70cm dual band mobile that has cross band repeater capability (for when i need comms but am away from truck..use the handheld to crossband through the mobile), a couple handheld dual band, and a separate dedicated APRS 2m mobile that bluetooths through a MobilinkD to my phone or tablet running APRSDroid. Works perfectly.
I plan on adding a DeLorme Inreach SE someday (Iridium network is significantly better than Spot's).

And a cell phone (two actually), and a mobile hotspot with a booster.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior