Back to the fold, ex-military 110

redneck44

Adventurer
Here we go again, only a 110 this time.
Recently sold my RB44 to fund another project that didn't work out (yet), and the drive way was looking a little empty, so I picked up a 1990 ex mil 110 2.5 n/a diesel.

$_12.JPG

Only this one has a little party trick up its sleeve that could come in useful for a camper conversion

$_12.JPG
not my pics, borrowed them from the e**y ad

There is nothing clever about the pop top, it is a very basic set up, but with a bit (lots:Wow1:) of work I think I can make something useful out of it.

I had some reservations about the 2.5 n/a engine, and was already lining up a 200tdi to fit, but after driving it home today I was pleasantly surprised, cruising at 65, even hit a migthy 72 at one point, it does struggle a little on the hills, but most U.K hills are fairly short, time will tell though.

Just need to decide what to do with it now, a basic camper, with room to sleep 3 inside for short periods, and 1 for longer durations.
Top of the list though is some sound insulation:) and power steering.

uk trailer guy

Observer
aaargh... have been toying with painting my 110 satin black... now really think I'll do it. It was a toss-up between that and matte. Think satin's the way to go.

redneck44

Adventurer
Satin is better than matt, in that it will clean up a little better, but both show up any dings and dents really well.
The body work on mine is very straight for an ex squaddie van, and the chassis has very little corrosion, just a little surface rust.

redneck44

Adventurer
As a long tme fan/owner of Americn cars, muscle cars, hotrods etc and generally messing about with "unusual" vehicles good and bad, I guess I fall in to that category.

redneck44

Adventurer
Wooohhooooo!!!
I can see again....

FItted some Wipac crystal headlights and Phillips Bulbs, all backed up with 2 x 40amp relays and and 6.0mm tri rated cable.

I've done the relay and wiring mod before on my RB and my Disco 1, but never bothered to change the reflectors and bulbs. The bulbs were bought after reading Hilldwellers recomendations on here, thanks.

Picked some extra bits for my recovery kit as well, just the basic Hi-lift kit, some strops and a Dixon bate pin hitch, I'm trying to avoid getting a winch at the moment.

Reversing lights and rear camp lights are next to do, followed by the interior fit out.

redneck44

Adventurer
I will get some pics tomorrow, working late for the last 2 weeks means it's dark when I get home.
The interior is as basic as you would expect for a military vehicle, "luxury" rubber mats and a couple of bench seats in the rear, a blank canvas really which is what I was after.

redneck44

Adventurer
As promised, some more pics

New headlights

Its very black

and very basic

Remade the seat bases today with a bit of shape to them, so I can actually stay on it when cornering, I've reused the vinyl covers for now, but will make up some cloth ones soon.

Jamin_GX

Adventurer
Very cool. Wish I could pick something like one of those up here in the States for a reasonable price for a little side project. Enjoy it!

redneck44

Adventurer
Made a little back door table, I had one on my Disco and found it very useful.
Unfortunately made of tread plate, but it was the only suitable material I had kicking about in the workshop.

redneck44

Adventurer
After messing about with the window frames in an effort to get them to seal against the door rubber I had to admit defeat.
So I made up a couple of wind /rain deflectors out of some Margard I had kicking about.
A silly little job but they make a big difference.

Fitted a bigger new battery, with a good clean up/ remanufacture of the wire terminals, she turns over a lot quicker now.
Only problem is the small hole in the bottom of the battery box which will need attending to soon.

DSC_0014.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

redneck44

Adventurer
Been a bit quiet on this thread, but I have some news.
I picked up a 200TDi from a Disco yesterday, apparently a runner. Got a load extras as well to help with the conversion.
I'll get some pics up soon, as everyone likes pics don't they?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz