BAD AIM 2003 Z71 Suburban

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Martin where did you route your negative for that battery, back around to the neg on the starter battery?

The bolt on the firewall where the body ground strap connects:

db20.JPG

Here's another view, obviously these were both taken BEFORE I put in clamps to keep the wires and cables in place (IOW they are not still sitting on top of the valve covers. ;) )

db11.JPG
I figure if the ground strap is connected there it must be a good ground, right?

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
I dunno, for the potential, I wanted something beefier than 18ga(?) sheet metal. I'd think you'd do better to go to the frame or at least to the negative on the primary battery. Ask in the 12v/solar forum, I'm sure you can get at least a couple of the resident experts to call / infer you're an idiot who shall shortly burn your vehicle to the ground.

iirc that braided ground strap is the path for the relatively weak vehicle electronics, giving them a ground via the engine and thru its ground path connection(s). I don't know what it's load capacity is or if the aux neg should go to it.
My own intention was to be able to power a 12k# winch off the aux and maybe even with both batteries combined, so I started off looking for the most robust connections I could make. Still not done, winch connections aren't laid yet, dont have the winch yet, etc etc etc /King of Siam

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I dunno, for the potential, I wanted something beefier than 18ga(?) sheet metal. I'd think you'd do better to go to the frame or at least to the negative on the primary battery. Ask in the 12v/solar forum, I'm sure you can get at least a couple of the resident experts to call / infer you're an idiot who shall shortly burn your vehicle to the ground.

iirc that braided ground strap is the path for the relatively weak vehicle electronics, giving them a ground via the engine and thru its ground path connection(s). I don't know what it's load capacity is or if the aux neg should go to it.
My own intention was to be able to power a 12k# winch off the aux and maybe even with both batteries combined, so I started off looking for the most robust connections I could make. Still not done, winch connections aren't laid yet, dont have the winch yet, etc etc etc /King of Siam

Well, it's been in place since October of 2016 and no issues whatsoever. I think some people get worked up about what they think is the "best" way and they don't take time to consider that "good enough" is usually good enough. ;)

Literally the only thing I'm running of the 2nd battery is a fridge that probably draws ~5 - 6a when the compressor kicks in on a hot day. The only other thing that's ever been connected to this battery is my air compressor when I was pumping up the right side tires, since it's easier to reach that battery than the starter battery at the driver's side front.

Short version: It ain't broke so I'm not fixing it. ;)

Lykos

Super Trucker
Well, it's been in place since October of 2016 and no issues whatsoever. I think some people get worked up about what they think is the "best" way and they don't take time to consider that "good enough" is usually good enough. ;)

Literally the only thing I'm running of the 2nd battery is a fridge that probably draws ~5 - 6a when the compressor kicks in on a hot day. The only other thing that's ever been connected to this battery is my air compressor when I was pumping up the right side tires, since it's easier to reach that battery than the starter battery at the driver's side front.

Short version: It ain't broke so I'm not fixing it. ;)
In all fairness it's not like you're grounding it to a truck cab. It might be 18g sheet metal but there's a WHOLE LOT of it in a Suburban. I may just follow your lead on this and find my aux battery the same way.

Lykos

Super Trucker
Got my tint job finished up yesterday.

20% on the front two windows.
20% over the factory 18% on everything else sans windshield.
I used Powerhouse Audio in Roanoke VA and couldn't be happier. I'm used to always finding imperfections and contaminants in tint jobs but not with these guys. This is as clean a job as I've ever seen.
They used a charcoal based tint that really is a step up from the dyed tint we all had in the 80s and 90s.
Yes, I'm old.
It was over 100 with the heat index in Roanoke today and the burb was noticeably cooler inside than before the tint job. I found myself also turning the thermostat in the AC up and it not running as much as before the tint.
Yes, nano ceramic tint is a much better performer than charcoal but it's also, for me, cost prohibitive. I'm into this tint job for under $220. ?
I'll still make some sunshades for use while sleeping in the rig as you can still see inside if you use a flashlight and squint really hard. LoL

As for any detrimental effects on driving I've noticed only one. Sometimes when making a steep left turn I'll need to roll the window down to see where I'm going and when backing up the rear window is useless. But with my 600 lumen (each) JDM Astar led backup lights and ambient city light I'm good to go with only my side view mirrors. Honestly, after 24 years in trucks and ambulances I don't use the rear view mirror anyway. And I NEED an excuse to install a new head unit with a rear view camera, right?

In other news I have a rear brake caliper dragging. I replaced one two weeks ago and now the other side is kaput.
I got my ebay lift kit in with 1.5" rear spacers and new keys. Once the Pro Comp 17x8 steelies come in next week my little burb is getting a new altitude.

The Floyfest deadline is coming up fast and I've got to get an awning, the second battery installed, a cot and some wiring done. July is gong to be expensive and busy.

Last edited:

stomperxj

Explorer
Good thread so far. I have a stubby storm trooper myself. Just put 285/70/17s on it and have keys, 5100s to put on still.
ovQWqK6.jpg

Lykos

Super Trucker
Good thread so far. I have a stubby storm trooper myself. Just put 285/70/17s on it and have keys, 5100s to put on still.
ovQWqK6.jpg
Ok so while I appreciate your kind words I gotta draw the line at posting pics of better looking rigs than mine. ? Love the white letter tires. Not enough people do that anymore. Those factory 17s in gloss black? Dude! Nice choice!

I love the contrast of the black trim on the white. It really stands out. I've been thinking of painting the cladding on mine.

Lykos

Super Trucker
Yes, those are my couch cushions. I bought a Whittemore leather couch with down stuffing for $200 on Craigslist a while back. Those cushions are SOOOOOO COMFY!
They might just become permanent when I build my sleeping platform and drawers.

Use what you got, right?

stomperxj

Explorer
Ok so while I appreciate your kind words I gotta draw the line at posting pics of better looking rigs than mine. ? Love the white letter tires. Not enough people do that anymore. Those factory 17s in gloss black? Dude! Nice choice!

I love the contrast of the black trim on the white. It really stands out. I've been thinking of painting the cladding on mine.

Thanks! I always go white out on my rigs. I love it. I painted the wheels.

Isn't that a little short for a Stormtrooper?

/had to be asked

Its the one that hit his head on the door ;)

I'll not hijack your thread anymore.

Looking forward to more progress on your burb :)

cheepsk8

Observer
Yes, those are my couch cushions. I bought a Whittemore leather couch with down stuffing for $200 on Craigslist a while back. Those cushions are SOOOOOO COMFY!
They might just become permanent when I build my sleeping platform and drawers.

Use what you got, right?
I used our old couch cushions as well!

Lykos

Super Trucker
Time to give this build thread a little bite. And, I'll eat a little crow.

Before.

IMG_20180304_205840460.jpg

After.
IMG_20180724_230958195.jpg

IMG_20180721_150400652.jpg

Yup. It's been a busy weekend. I got the projects 75% done.

On Saturday I went to visit the Mad Scientist and install my brand new Optima yellow top and Blue Sea Systems ACR 7622.

The yellow top wasn't exactly what I was looking for. But at $120 for never sold blem I couldn't say no.
This is where I eat crow. A few posts ago I said that little L shaped fender bracket would stay. I don't know what battery GM put in that spot but it must've been tiny. The bracket is gone. ??

But, I got a strong cable game. Fo sho!

IMG_20180721_151940678.jpg

We got the ACR installed and it works like a champ. We have yet to install the switch in the dash and get proper wiring to the back but it'll get me and my fridge through this weeks music festival. Once the install is complete I'll do a proper writeup.

My last two wheels arrived Monday and my brother mounted and balanced them this morning. One had a ton of run out and one required no weight what so ever. The other two acted like normal tires. Go figure.

The tires are C rated km2s size 285 70r17 on 17x8 Procomp 97s. I only mounted them tonight because retorts are that the field where we park is a muddy mess and my bald 265/70 street tires weren't going to cut it. I have a set of keys and 1 1/2" rear spacers to install later. The pic above is with nothing more than about 1.5" of cranked torsion bars. The tires rub the inner fenders a bit but overall there's a lot of clearance.

The ARB came in last night as well. That's a 2500 and is mounted with 1 1/2" 5/16 bolts and 4"x 1"x1/2" L brackets from Lowes directly to the Z71 crossbars. I initially used ubolts but wasn't happy with how they turned out. I will need to take the brackets off to trim and paint them but overall I'm happy with the install. The hardware was about $20. Can't beat that.

I'm headed to Floydfest in the morning. I'm sure after 5 days in the field I'll know exactly what my next mods will be.

Love, Peace and chicken grease y'all!

E.J. Webb

If your not running a sub pull the panel out and build a storage box, here is a prototype I am trying and so far it's working awesome. I have tools, compressor and recovery equipment in it. I want to do a duel, battery coming up so I'm keeping a watch on the progress, keep it up.

Attachments

• 0512181010a_HDR.jpg
    0512181010a_HDR.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 53

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier