Baja, Zion and cold weather camping

Arctic Travelller

Adventurer
We are at the end of an epic 6 week maiden voyage in our GTRV. During that time, lots of issues came to light, but that was the point of the initial sea-trial. While in Baja, :sombrero: the exhaust system fell off, and the grill guard dissolved, but I can partly chalk that up to excessive speeds on some really bad roads (but my new Agile Off Road custom suspension made it a LOT of fun). Death Valley was so much fun, we went twice with Zion National park in between. The timing of the trip put us ********** in the middle of the big cold snap that hit just after Thanksgiving. We had a blast camping every night, and the Suburban propane heater did a great job of keeping us warm, but we don't run it while we sleep, and it was DAMN cold in the AM. That got me to thinking about insulation. I cut up Reflectix for all the windows, and it works as well as everyone said it would, but there is still a ton of cold steel around the windows in the doors. I was thinking about filling the doors with spray foam, but haven't figured a way to make sure the locking mechanism's would still function. At this point, I plan to live with what ever insulation is in the walls behind the cabinets, but I would love to hear what other folks have done to install insulation in the doors, especially the voids around the windows. Thanks in advance....................Arctic Traveller

Wiley

Adventurer
If you havent seen "Hal the van" over on the sportsmobile forum check it out, he does a very in depth build, and there is some great info on insulation options. (Theres a TOC in the 1st post) He obviously an intelligent guy, but if I recall claims he didnt really know what he was doing when he began, so there is hope for all of us.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=34667

I did the reflectix for my extended vacation, and worked well enough, I will most likely upgrade on my next vehicle.

1911/F-350

Observer
If you havent seen "Hal the van" over on the sportsmobile forum check it out, he does a very in depth build, and there is some great info on insulation options. (Theres a TOC in the 1st post) He obviously an intelligent guy, but if I recall claims he didnt really know what he was doing when he began, so there is hope for all of us.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=34667

I did the reflectix for my extended vacation, and worked well enough, I will most likely upgrade on my next vehicle.

Thank you very much for the link Wiley!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier