Barlowrs Expedition Tacoma Build

yalex

"The Kid"
Just read through this entire thread and gotta say this is an IMPRESSIVE build!

I very well may be broke because of you Barlowrs.

Good stuff!

jwenzel92

Hey your Tacoma looks awesome! I really like your communication setup in the cab. I was curious. What made you decide the CBI bumper over brute force or many of the others out there. I'm just trying to get a feel for all of the different options. Thanks!

barlowrs

Explorer
Just read through this entire thread and gotta say this is an IMPRESSIVE build!

I very well may be broke because of you Barlowrs.

Good stuff!

I just put a pic of your truck on the background of my computer screen. The one with the red lights and the flip pac open.

Good inspiration!

haha thanks guys, I appreciate it, just hope its of some help on your own builds

Hey barlowrs,
Just wondering what kind of mount your using for your antenna on the front and rear bumpers. Curious if you could send me some pics. (I like the look of running a dual band on the side of the ARB like that).

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I am running standard NMO mount for the ham on the front bumper (just drilled a hole into the top of one of the "wings" for it.... and a regular bulk head mount for the Firestick in the rear mounted on a tab that I had CBI add. I will try to get a few pics for you.

Hey your Tacoma looks awesome! I really like your communication setup in the cab. I was curious. What made you decide the CBI bumper over brute force or many of the others out there. I'm just trying to get a feel for all of the different options. Thanks!

CBI makes amazing products, have always been one of the best toyota supporters out there, besides that, I just prefered the look of their armor. I suppose with all the top names, the craftsmanship will all be on par, so at that point its just personal look. But CBI was able to custom build it exactlly how i wanted, great group of guys.

jwenzel92

Hey I was wondering, for your CB and HAM radio, I've read up on some things but hopefully you can help.

From my understanding anyone can use a HAM, but to have a CB you have to have a license right? Have you seen one being more common than the other?

I'm planning to go to Moab next summer so I'm trying to plan out my build in phases like you've done.

So far I have lined up bumpers, sliders, OME 886 w/ Dakar, winch, skids, some type of comm radio, Jerry cans, hi lift. Anything else that you recommend?

Also what are your thoughts about the fridge as opposed to a cooler?

I already have tents, and off road lights, and tires. That's about it.

Sorry there's so much, but you seem to know it all! Thanks!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Hey I was wondering, for your CB and HAM radio, I've read up on some things but hopefully you can help.

From my understanding anyone can use a HAM, but to have a CB you have to have a license right? Have you seen one being more common than the other?

It's the opposite. You need to pass a licensing test to get a HAM license and call-sign, but anyone can use a CB. The HAM test is easy, and the functionality is far superior to CB, but CB is more common (ie, your buddy in the next truck is more likely to have one)

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Just the opposite......You must have a license for HAM but anyone can use CB (Although I believe you still should have a license for CB..No test. Simply apply for it)
The HAM license is a bit more involved. There is a test but Morse Code is no longer a requirement.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Wow that helps a lot. Thank you. Does there range differ between the 2?
Substantial differences in range, with HAM being significantly and more consistently better. CB is highly subject to proper installation and tuning to be effective beyond line of site, and many people have CB's that barely reach farther than a well thrown rock :)

barlowrs

Explorer

I'm planning to go to Moab next summer so I'm trying to plan out my build in phases like you've done.

So far I have lined up bumpers, sliders, OME 886 w/ Dakar, winch, skids, some type of comm radio, Jerry cans, hi lift. Anything else that you recommend?

Also what are your thoughts about the fridge as opposed to a cooler?

I already have tents, and off road lights, and tires. That's about it.

Sorry there's so much, but you seem to know it all! Thanks!

Wow that helps a lot. Thank you. Does there range differ between the 2?

As others have said, it is opposite, you need a license for HAM (short wave), but CB requires no license. CB is more common out there simply because anyone can get one and install one, however, HAM is becoming more and more popular, esp in this particular area. CB is fine for vehicle to vehicle discussions while on a trail run, but CB is PURELY line of sight and, as nwoods stated, depends a lot on installation. the range is just not there. HAM on the other hand has a MUCH better range (a setup home station can talk across the world, to the space station etc). I personally have bounced off repeaters while here in Sothern California and talked to Florida and Washington with my mobile unit in my truck. There are MANY other benefits to HAM as well, clarity (it's like AM vs High Def radio), tracking, emergency phone calls, etc. The list is ever growing too, esp now with repeaters being connected to the internet. HAM is DEF the way to go if you go away from civilization and may need to contact ppl.

As far as your setup, I'd say you are def good to go....only thing is knowledge how to use it all. get out and wheel your truck, learn it, and know how to wrench on it, recover it, repair it, etc. Even without all the "nice to haves" you are getting, your truck is HIGHLY capable, so go have fun in it, dont wait for all the parts. That is the best way to learn what you will need next, by getting out and using it all.

For the fridge, I say YES YES YES. if I were to do it all over again, I would have bought the fridge before I even bought the truck haha. it is the best piece of gear I have ever bought.

barlowrs

Explorer
Just the opposite......You must have a license for HAM but anyone can use CB (Although I believe you still should have a license for CB..No test. Simply apply for it)
The HAM license is a bit more involved. There is a test but Morse Code is no longer a requirement.

I have never heard of a license for CB, but that may be true…I know I don't have one and I use CB from time to time,

The Morse code is true though. The licenses have been consolidated and revamped recently (actually a while back now..man I'm getting old).
For example, when I got my license, there were novice, Technician, General, advanced and amateur extra classifications (I think there was a tech plus class too, if I remember right). I got a tech license, which DID require Morse code. That was by far the hardest part of the test. Now days, there is only Technician, General and Amateur Extra and the tech class no longer requires code.

nwoods

Expedition Leader

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior