Barlowrs Expedition Tacoma Build

barlowrs

Explorer
Not having front flaps on mine has caused havok on the powder coating on my sliders. I have some rust forming on them now.

Found a cool product for neutralizing rust on metal, immediately readying it for paint... found here. I'll be picking up some of these and painting the effected spots with Rustoleum.

yup, thats the main reason I fit up the fronts, it was killing my sliders...I'll have to check out that stuff!

HunterOfSouls

I just read your entire build and have decided that this is one of the most epic builds I have ever seen! I love how much thought you put into your mods, and how nicely they turn out. I'm not one to necessarily demand a factory look, but I love how you use it as a driver for a professional finish - great craftsmanship! I'm definitely bookmarking this as a reference. Thanks for all of the time you've put into your write-ups to help the rest of us out! Your rig is awesome!

I'm actually helping a college friend drive his car back home to Orange County CA from Atlanta on May 15, 2011. This will be our 5th road trip, as we both attended Emory University and drove his car back at the end of the summers (I'm now pursuing a Mechanical Engineering degree at Georgia Tech as part of the dual degree program between the two universities). We should be getting in the 19th of May 2011. I would love to see your truck if you are interested in that sort of thing. I would be greatly appreciative to get some ideas for my build. Thanks!

Last edited:

barlowrs

Explorer
Photoshoot for 4WD Toyota Owners Magazine

Well I was lucky enough to be contacted by 4wd Toyota Owners magazine (ifyou don’t know what this is, you shouldn't have a Toyota...haha...go check itout, it’s a great mag).

Anyway, their photographer, Joel Moranton (www.Moranton.com)was cool enough to jump in my rig for a day of wheeling and pictures. I mustsay, this guy is talented! the pics speak for themselves, my truck really isn’tthis pretty, it’s all his photography skills!

I am not sure if I will actually be in the mag yet, that has to bedetermined later once they examine the other 2nd gen competition, but the opportunitywas cool enough for me. anyway, here are some pics:

2_of_20.jpg

4_of_20.jpg

7_of_20.jpg

8_of_20.jpg

9_of_20.jpg

11_of_20.jpg

12_of_20.jpg

14_of_20.jpg

16_of_20.jpg

4RunAmok

Explorer
Man, that is a GREAT looking 4Runner in the background too!!! :D

This reminded me I need to resubscribe to the magazine. I'd hate to miss the issue if you're in it! We sure had a lot of fun up there that day!

upcountry

Explorer
Robert-

I have been reading through your build threads both here and on Tacoma World. Great detail, nice truck. Thank you for providing this info to readers, kind of like a magazine!

Based on your thread it looks like you are running OME 886 springs with OME Nitrochargers AND a Wheelers Offroad 10MM Top Spacer. Is this correct?

If so, have you had any issues with the UCA ball joints or CVs dues to the angle? Also, have you changed out the bump stop?

What is your impression of the ride after a few years of variable terrain?

Is your sway bar back on the vehicle and if not how do you feel about how it handles on a sharp corner at high speed?

Thanks for the info!

I am planning an upgrade that may require migrating from 885s to 886s but I dont want to loose lift.

barlowrs

Explorer
Robert-

I have been reading through your build threads both here and on Tacoma World. Great detail, nice truck. Thank you for providing this info to readers, kind of like a magazine!

Based on your thread it looks like you are running OME 886 springs with OME Nitrochargers AND a Wheelers Offroad 10MM Top Spacer. Is this correct?

If so, have you had any issues with the UCA ball joints or CVs dues to the angle? Also, have you changed out the bump stop?

What is your impression of the ride after a few years of variable terrain?

Is your sway bar back on the vehicle and if not how do you feel about how it handles on a sharp corner at high speed?

Thanks for the info!

I am planning an upgrade that may require migrating from 885s to 886s but I dont want to loose lift.

You are correct, I am running 886, nitrochargers and 10mm spacer. When I first installed it, it sat higher than I wanted, but it settled nicely, you could probably get away without the 10mm spacer, but with my truck, load, and the HD dakars in the rear, she sits perfectly level with the spacer. I have not had any issues with CV angle UCA or anything yet. (Knock on wood).

My sway bar is still off and I have had no issues (she is my daily driver). You just have to be aware you are in a truck and not a sports car. As far as long term reviews, I love my setup. It has performed flawlessly, and is still going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior