Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I picked up the JK receiver from the powder coat shop last week but haven't had a chance to install it until today.

JKRcvrFinal1_zpsd4k1eiqu.jpg

JKrcvrFinal2_zpslcuadmqv.jpg

JKRcvrFinal3_zpsl7gkw0kj.jpg

Just have to install the winch wiring battery lead and this Jeep is ready for winching.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Tested the winch this afternoon. On top of the winch is the very short winch lead that replaces the 6'-long Warn leads; this short one will be easy to tuck away under the cover I'll sew for the winch.

JKWinchDone1_zpstj6d0mvs.jpg

Battery lead stays coiled up in the engine compartment until it's needed, when needed open the hood, pull the lead out and plug it in to the winch.

JKWinchDone2_zpspcoemxv1.jpg

Stowed:

JKWinchDone3_zpslhgrzl1n.jpg

The same battery lead that lives in the engine compartment also serves as a jumper cable connection, using the extension lead (which also is used to connect the winch when it's in the rear receiver) and a clip end (left photo). I have a second clip end so it can also serve as a stand-alone jumper cable (right photo).

JKWinchDone5_zpsur9dz4rz.jpg

All that's left before I can call this project done is to sew a custom-fit weather cover for the winch.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm helping son Robert move to Washington, D.C. this weekend and I'll be towing one of my trailers loaded with furniture and other things he needs to move. His new place is an apartment in the city and I may have to maneuver the trailer into a narrow alley for unloading. I'll have the front receiver on the Jeep for the trip, and I've got a drop hitch to lower the hitch ball to a more reasonable height. I found this hitch on the side of the road a few years ago and I've never had a use for it because installed in the rear receiver it's too low, but with the receiver mounted on top of the bumper it's just what I need.

DropHitch_zpsvkjqchsn.jpg

Hopefully I won't have to do any tricky maneuvering but if I do the front hitch may come in handy.

DropHitch2_zpstviewjy5.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've been working on the weather cover for the winch. It's a very irregular shape, so the first step is to sew a prototype to get the fit right. Here are the results so far.

CoverPrototype1_zps4buyqs5z.jpg

I've got a little more fitting to do and once I'm happy with the fit I'll sew the closure on the bottom, right now it's held closed with masking tape (which isn't visible in this photo). When the closure is done I'll cut this prototype apart and the pieces will serve as patterns for sewing a final version in vinyl.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I won't need the receiver on the front of the JK for a while, so there's no need for it to be on the Jeep...

When the JK and LJ receivers aren't in use, they live on the garage wall, along with the tow bar that goes with them:

RcvrStorage_zps6sybqyly.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I installed the Overland Rack today; it needs to be on the Jeep for the SEMA Show in two weeks. I've posted photos of it before but this time it's got the new cargo bag on it...

Cargobag1_zps7io6teru.jpg

Cargobag2_zps5mos2fts.jpg

Cargobag3_zpsfyfnkphl.jpg

MattJ

Adventurer
Looks great! And matching camo print patterns everywhere! Ready for the runway. ;)

I really like that the hi-lift is angled, so that it doesn't protrude above the roof of the Jeep. Mine sits straight up, so I have to remove it when I open my Tepui tent if it is configured to open toward the back tailgate instead of to the side.

I also like the RotopaX mount for water and the Overland Rack with the custom cargo bag you made. Very cool.

I have a back up camera mounted in my spare wheel carrier, so that would prevent me from using the wheel cover and MOLLE pouch (same problem with the Trasharoo I have).

I know you love the heavy-duty tailgate hinges, but I do wish this entire configuration (Overland Rack, hi-lift mount, RotopaX, etc) was available in a bumper-mounted configuration. Just a personal preference of mine. I know that you can find engineers that argue strenuously on either side of this debate, but I prefer that the bumper/frame takes the weight, especially on severe terrain.

But man, you will be a hit attraction at SEMA! Nice work, as always.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Looks great! And matching camo print patterns everywhere! Ready for the runway. ;)

I really like that the hi-lift is angled, so that it doesn't protrude above the roof of the Jeep. Mine sits straight up, so I have to remove it when I open my Tepui tent if it is configured to open toward the back tailgate instead of to the side.

I also like the RotopaX mount for water and the Overland Rack with the custom cargo bag you made. Very cool.

But man, you will be a hit attraction at SEMA! Nice work, as always.
Thank you very much.

I have a back up camera mounted in my spare wheel carrier, so that would prevent me from using the wheel cover and MOLLE pouch (same problem with the Trasharoo I have).
Wouldn't be hard to design and sew a spare cover and a trash bag that accommodated a backup camera... fire up the sewing machine! :).

I sewed all the camo stuff on the Jeep - sewing isn't a hard skill to learn and it's a very handy skill to have when outfitting a Jeep.

I know you love the heavy-duty tailgate hinges, but I do wish this entire configuration (Overland Rack, hi-lift mount, RotopaX, etc) was available in a bumper-mounted configuration. Just a personal preference of mine. I know that you can find engineers that argue strenuously on either side of this debate, but I prefer that the bumper/frame takes the weight, especially on severe terrain.

I'll stick with the HD hinges/tailgate reinforcement/HD spare carrier for two main reasons:

1. Weight. The MORryde combo weighs about 100 lbs. less than most swing-away carrier/bumper combos. I'd rather use that 100 lbs. for gear and cargo, not dead weight. The MORryde setup is designed for 37's or larger, so any tire I'd ever possibly run can easily be carried on it.

2. Convenience. Getting at my cargo area in the back of the Jeep is a one-step operation - open the tailgate/barn door combo and you're there. With many swing-away carriers it's a 3-step operation - swing open the spare carrier, open the liftgate, open the tailgate. The MORryde setup plus the barn door makes it very easy to get in the back.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Ever since I designed the power and charging systems for the Trail Kitchen I've been running the prototype power panel pictured below. It's got two power outlets, two USB outlets, a voltmeter and an ammeter. It's in a simple housing I made that clips to the side of the battery tray. The panel has worked very well providing power for the fridge, the sink pump and various USB devices.

ChargingBattery_zpskltavhnv.jpg

The company just sent me a preproduction power panel, it's functionally the same as mine but with a more rugged case. It has the same outlets and digital gauges as my prototype. I've mounted it to the side of the fridge enclosure.

PowerPanel1_zps69dymgjq.jpg

PowerPanel4_zpsouwcxta2.jpg

The company is considering several mounting locations for it including possibly a roll bar mount.

Another change I recently made to the prototype kitchen charging systems in both the JKU and the LJ is switching from a fuse to a circuit breaker. Fuses work fine but the circuit breaker is a little more convenient because if it pops you can just reset it rather than replacing the fuse.

CurcuitBreaker2_zpsdmhnibp6.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I don't think I've ever posted a video of the overhead/swing-down Molle panel; I did this one this morning to send to the company that's signed up to bring it to market so I'll post it here too...

Part of the panel is in the shade in the video so it's not all visible, here's what I've got mounted on it - a 2-gallon Rotopax, a military shovel and two Molle pouches (a small one is just below the handle of the shovel, not easily visible because it's the same camo as the big one).

SEMAPrep_zpsrop8zzzp.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
4WDRive Magazine (Canadian) posted a review of the Trail Kitchen no-drill installation: http://suncruisermedia.com/4WDrive/trucks/morryde-trail-kitchen-review-install/

He points out two small issues with mounting holes. The first few production units had these issues but the company has corrected them. Also he seems to think the Molle panel is to keep the fridge from coming out of the tray, didn't see that one coming :). The Trail Kitchen comes with two straps to secure the fridge to the tray BTW, looks like he didn't use them.

On his YouTube page for the video someone asked if the underfloor storage compartment is accessible once the fridge is installed and he said no. The answer is actually yes - the JK has a hard floor panel covering the compartment, and over that a carpet/rubber (dual sided) mat; if you remove the hard cover before installing the kitchen you can pull up the mat and get access to the passenger side of the compartment, there's enough room so you can reach over to the driver's side of the compartment. I've suggested to MORryde that they tell people about removing the hard cover in the instructions.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few weeks ago I wrote that I was helping a startup company with some designs for custom storage for the Jeep (https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...ctory-hardtops.127687/page-235#post-2536472); I've now got some first prototypes in my hands. The idea is that these bags will be higher style/higher quality than the vinyl or thin canvas products that are on the market today but still be priced reasonably.

I tried out the samples in the Jeep today. These are preliminary prototypes and today is the first time they've actually been in a Jeep, so they'll need some slight tweaks to perfect the fit but they're not too bad as they are. Also because I've got the full Trail Kitchen with the drawer unit in the Jeep I the photo angles aren't the best; I'll take better photos after SEMA when I remove the kitchen.

The first I'll call the "backpack", it hangs on the back of the seat, but also has straps so it can be worn as a backpack and a longer strap so it can be carried over the shoulder. This one's made from a heavy leather.

Backpack1_zpsok6zjofm.jpg

Backpack2_zps0qo7sesd.jpg

The second design I'll call "saddlebags", they go over the rear inner fenders in the cargo area and they're form-fitted to follow the curves of the fender. This one's in black leather:

Saddlebag1_zpsinmzk1k9.jpg

This one's in brown distressed leather:

Saddlebag2_zpsse1uopfc.jpg

This one's in tan leather and has a different design than the other two, it closes with a zipper instead of buckles. It's also for the driver's side of the Jeep and since I've got the kitchen installed and the battery is over the fender I couldn't put this one in the Jeep for a photo.

Saddlebag3_zpsbac8h8jz.jpg

These bags are all done in different types and styles of leather, the company may also do some in high quality canvas with leather accents. These are the first two designs they've prototyped, they're planning designs for other locations in the Jeep as well.

What do you think? I welcome any comments you have on these or any other storage idea and will pass all comments along to the company.

rubicon91

Explorer
I like the ones on the side in the rear. They look great how they form fit. I see they are bolted down with the hard top bolts. Any way for them to be easily removed? What about sliding off the side at all are they secured anyways at the bottom or is it the way they are formed keep it from doing that?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I like the ones on the side in the rear. They look great how they form fit. I see they are bolted down with the hard top bolts. Any way for them to be easily removed? What about sliding off the side at all are they secured anyways at the bottom or is it the way they are formed keep it from doing that?

Donny,
Thanks for the input. It doesn't show in the photo, but the strip that is secured with the hardtop bolts unzips from the bag so to remove the bag that just unzips, the strip stays in the Jeep and the bag comes out. Of these prototypes though, only the black leather one has the zipper on that strip, the other ones have the strip permanently sewed to the bag (they're prototypes, the zipper will be part of all of the production bags). Because of the stiffness of the leather there's no problem with them sliding off the side, the one strip is all that's needed to secure them.

rubicon91

Explorer
Donny,
Thanks for the input. It doesn't show in the photo, but the strip that is secured with the hardtop bolts unzips from the bag so to remove the bag that just unzips, the strip stays in the Jeep and the bag comes out. Of these prototypes though, only the black leather one has the zipper on that strip, the other ones have the strip permanently sewed to the bag (they're prototypes, the zipper will be part of all of the production bags). Because of the stiffness of the leather there's no problem with them sliding off the side, the one strip is all that's needed to secure them.

Nice! I could not see that in the photos and was unsure. I like it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online