Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hi Jeff,

how did you mount your soft side panel on the bottom side? Can't see a zipper or Velcro. Is there a magnetic stripe?

My soft sides attach to the tub in exactly the same way that the factory soft top sides attach - there's a plastic strip sewn into the bottom hem of the panel that slips into the retainer on the top edge of the tub.

02rangeredge

Adventurer
Except for sewing on the emblem, the work on the soft sides is complete and since it's snowing out today I swapped the

full doors and hard sides back on. In the process I took photos of the various configurations...

SummerConfig1_zpsud9rplnj.jpg

SummerConfig2_zpsjp9lwlle.jpg

FallConfig1_zps77uraq41.jpg

FallConfig2_zpsspdbkrjy.jpg

WinterConfig_zps3xbvcxvy.jpg

I'll sew the emblems on tomorrow.

The soft sides look good, my only complaint is the lack of radiused corners, but that probably ads a whole new element to sewing your own- so it'd take YOU at most an extra 20 minutes

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The soft sides look good, my only complaint is the lack of radiused corners, but that probably ads a whole new element to sewing your own- so it'd take YOU at most an extra 20 minutes

I didn't want rounded corners on the windows, I sewed the window with sharp corners because that's how I wanted it to look.

Last edited:

02rangeredge

Adventurer
I didn't want rounded corners on the windows, I sewed the window with sharp corners because that's how I wanted it to look.

I get that, it may just be carryover from how much better I think your hardtop panels you're replacing look- you've definitely made a 1 of a kind jeep, which gets harder and harder anymore

My soft sides attach to the tub in exactly the same way that the factory soft top sides attach - there's a plastic strip sewn into the bottom hem of the panel that slips into the retainer on the top edge of the tub.
Do you have a foto of this detail? I'm not a Jeeper ;-)
It would be also interesting how the canvas is mounted to your fiber pillars.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Do you have a foto of this detail? I'm not a Jeeper ;-)
It would be also interesting how the canvas is mounted to your fiber pillars.

I showed the details of my LJ soft sides in the thread I did about converting a factory JK/JKU hardtop to modular: https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...hardtop-to-modular.160775/page-4#post-2125423. I used basically the same design for the JKU Safari Cab soft sides, so check it out at that link and if you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

The soft sides I just made for the JKU Safari Cab are almost identical to the sides you also sew for the modular factory hardtop, they differ in only one dimension (the Safari Cab sides are slightly taller than the factory sides converted to modular).

I've got a lot of miles and weather on the LJ soft sides; they seal out the weather well, aren't noisy on the highway, and roll up/down very easily.

rubicon91

Explorer
I am not even sure where to begin with this post. I think first and foremost I would like to sincerely thank you Jeff for everything. I am beyond thankful.

Ok now that I said that Jeff came over to my house tonight and we proceeded to install the barn door. Not quite sure what to expect in regards to fitment I have to say it fit like a glove. You are talking an aftermarket ursa minor top, and then Jeff's safari cab and the mold for the barn door. I couldn't believe it just popped right on and fit perfect. I also shipped up my trailgator so we could mount it as well and with the goose gear drawers in the back it fits perfectly and closes no problem. Ok enough of my talking here are some pics and video. Tomorrow in daylight Jeff will have better ones for you.
a9fabde44e565e3b15c435ed9ae47f49.jpg
23712f4920eeca9f09003242eeb83ef9.jpg
ef8ffa6a37f2b6b2733be18a46f9c5cd.jpg
e12e7593d2f4d00cf55c4c7f80b381a9.jpg
9788666f880f300e343807ea3bff7e20.jpg
9a7f91cf3043077a9901faef592213ff.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Awwww, man! I'm jealous!

Dammit! Someone needs to put these barn doors into production!

I make them at home in my garage so it wouldn't be too hard to produce them in production, there are only a few simple parts - fiberglass inner and outer shells, a window (could be an inexpensive RV-style window) and the mounting hardware. I won't be me putting them in production though, I don't sell anything, I just do this as a hobby but if a company or someone wants to bring them to market I'll be happy to discuss it with them.

MattJ

Adventurer
Donny - I like your Blue Ridge tool bag!

Jeff - is the utensil pocket you installed in the Outback Adventures tailgate table available for sale yet? Is that one of the products you are helping to design with the start-up company you have mentioned? Or is that a product that Donny already has? I think it's a great addition to the table system.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff - is the utensil pocket you installed in the Outback Adventures tailgate table available for sale yet? Is that one of the products you are helping to design with the start-up company you have mentioned? Or is that a product that Donny already has? I think it's a great addition to the table system.

Yes, the Cutlery/Tool Keeper (it's also great to hold tools if you use your table for a work surface) is a product that the startup is doing. Actually Donny had the original idea and I designed and sewed a prototype for Donny to test. Once Donny gave it his seal of approval, I sent it off to the startup and manufacturing is beginning on it right now, with availability planned for about a month from now, along with several other products that are also beginning production.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles