Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Well, since you didn’t ask (;)), I think the mostly tweed with brown accents would be classy and different.
Thats what I'm thinking. Because of travel (and a couple of other pressing projects for the few days I'm home), I've got until mid-October to decide on the color and panel pattern and other features I might add - things like pockets on the back of the seats (or access to the factory pockets through the seat cover), perhaps Molle provisions, maybe pockets in other places, etc.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I had a great day in Elkhart yesterday. My first meeting of the day was with an RV window company about doing a slider window retrofit kit for the JL hardtop. Here's a concept image:

Concept_zpsfm4ugven.jpg

The company was enthusiastic about the project and will begin developing a prototype window to the specs I gave them.

I also discussed "hatch windows" and cargo hatches with them and they are willing to do these for both the JL and JK/JKU so I'll work on prototypes of those with them. The "hatch window" would look like the one below on the pickup cap and the cargo hatch would look the same except instead of having glass it would have a solid panel.

SideAccessDoor_zps1krxi2ls.jpg

All of the above would mount to the compound curved window mounting sufaces of the JL and JK hardtops using the retrofit kit design that's been in production for the past few years at Retrofit Offroad so they'd all be pretty easy installs.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I also spent some time at MORryde discussing upcoming releases and new products. The lockbox version of the overhead Molle panel is underway (my prototype is pictured below, shown swung down and with the cover open, their version isn't ready for pictures yet)

OverheadLockbox1a_zpsiwq25lzu.jpg

They are also about to release a new version of the Trail Kitchen. The new version eliminates the pull-out drawer/tabletop under the fridge for a pull-out stove platform designed for larger two-burner stoves. Here's a photo of a final preproduction unit:

TrailKitchenStove_zpsko1lwpui.jpg

It'll retail for less than the "full" kitchen, but doesn't support the sink option or the fold-out table. It does support the smaller clip-on table that goes beside the fridge. For reference, here's the full Trail Kitchen with the sink option, the clip-on table (behind the sink) and the drawer/tabletop. There's no stove in this photo but it goes on the tabletop.

SinkSetup_zpsym16omwf.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
My last meeting of the day was with the plastics company that's working on manufacturing the JL style grille for the JK (this isn't the company that plans to market it, it's just the company that will manufacture it). A preproduction mold is ready and they've done a bunch of test shots with the mold. We did a test install on my Jeep for a first test shot it fit very well, although there are a few minor changes I want them to make to the mold before it can go into production. A few views of a test shot grille...

TestShot3_zpsljtxyzik.jpg

TestShot4_zpsj4muditf.jpg

TestShot2_zpsvdo1z3ny.jpg

I took two home for testing; the one pictured above, and an untrimmed one that I can trim to my satisfaction (the preliminary trimming on the one above was a little rough).

TestShot_zpsgm75lsnx.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Having finished testing the fit of the JL style grille for the JK, I've sent my feedback to the plastics company on a few minor tweaks to improve the fit and I put my original fiberglass JL style grille back on. But before taking the preproduction one off, I shot a couple of videos. BTW the bright aluminum mesh isn't a fashion statement, it's just the only piece of mesh I had on hand and I needed to test the mesh mounts so I used it. It's a little bright for my taste.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
MORryde brought a preproduction locking jerry can strap to the Smokey Mountain show for me to test. I installed it on a jerry can at the show and it worked fine; today I tested it with other types of cans. With the swivel action at the bottom of each strap, it can swivel as shown below to also lock the cap of a US style jerry can in place.

LockingStrapPrepro1s_zpssuvozx4v.jpg

I also tested it with NATO cans and Scepter containers.

LockingStrapPrepro2_zpsfvm1czq5.jpg

I emailed them suggestions about a few small details but overall I like it a lot.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Ikea Jeep accessories?

Last year I was in an Ikea store and there was a magnetic knife rack in their bargain area for $10. Seemed like I could find a use for it somewhere, so I bought it. I replaced on the handles on my Dometic fridge with it, all it took was drilling two new holes in the back mounting plate of the knife rack to match the holes for the handle in the fridge:

MORryde1_zpse4bjwfq8.jpg

The regular price of the rack is $13.99, a bargain to add a knife rack to the fridge: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20202083/

Since then I've always kept an eye open at Ikea for other things that might be useful in the Jeep. Here's another one that's $5.99 and intended to hang over the edge of child's bed: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00421393/.

IkeaTailgatePockets2_zpsgxg6uicl.jpg

It's just the right size to install on the tailgate...

IkeaTailgatePockets_zpsinca72ah.jpg

I punched holes in the stiff top edge of it that match the factory holes in the tailgate so I was able to install it with no drilling using the clips that come with the Overland Outfitters HD Molle panel.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
More Ikea Jeep accessories... Ikea sells a similar bed pocket called Stickat for $7.99, it's about half the width and the pockets are a little deeper; it comes in black, green and pink. https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/stickat-bed-pocket-black-80378338/

IkeaTailgatePocketsStickat2_zpsnjvomkkr.jpg

Two could fit across the tailgate, in this photo it's sitting on top of the blue one, it would mount a little further down.

IkeaTailgatePocketsStickat_zps5lalth8h.jpg

Or, with a quick mod, it makes a pretty nice seat back pocket...

IkeaStickatSeatPocket_zpsnizzyiuo.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Just landed in New Delhi, India and this huge sign is at the exit to the international terminal.

I'll do the conversion for you... 63.94 lakh rupees at today's exchange rate is $89,368.94. Unclear what trim level you get for that, but the photo on the right side of the sign has the hardtop with removable sides.

DelhiBillboard_zps8aqsgr9d.jpg

Jurfie

Adventurer
...but the photo on the right side of the sign has the hardtop with removable sides.

I still don't undertstand why Jeep didn't make that standard on all JL hardtops; that's a missed opportunity and an epic fail on their part. Your concept has so many advantages with respect to storage, ease of removal (smaller, lighter parts), the ability to run just the hard top (so you can add roof rails), an option to have roll up side windows for pure awesomeness...the list goes on and on.

One of the things I hate about just taking the freedom tops off or even just opening the front windows (on a 2-dr JK, not sure how it is on the JKU) is the wind buffeting at speed; I usually leave the back glass open, but that's not always practical. Even sliding rear windows like the retrofit kit you came up with would help, but (and we've discussed this before) I would love it if they could pop open like minivan rear windows. Even if they were manually opened, I'd be happy! Or a removable upper barn door window that I could store inside when away from home. Someone (*cough*FCA*cough*) needs to license your ideas and bring them to market already!! ;)

With the new model, Jeep had the chance to rethink the hardtop. Aside from the sliding sunroof option (which is neat, but not an option I would want), they've stuck with the same design as the JK, which is (relatively) heavy and awkward to remove without assistance and limits airflow through the cabin. 90% of the time I run my soft top sans windows, but I'd love to be able to do this with my hardtop for when we get an unseasonably nice day during the rest of the 9-10 months of the year when my hardtop is on. ?‍♂️

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I still don't undertstand why Jeep didn't make that standard on all JL hardtops; that's a missed opportunity and an epic fail on their part. Your concept has so many advantages with respect to storage, ease of removal (smaller, lighter parts), the ability to run just the hard top (so you can add roof rails), an option to have roll up side windows for pure awesomeness...the list goes on and on.
The factory JL hardtop can be converted to modular in the same way that the factory JK hardtop can so if someone really wants removable sides but doesn't have that option from the factory it is possible to convert the top... https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/converting-a-factory-jk-jku-hardtop-to-modular.160775/

One of the things I hate about just taking the freedom tops off or even just opening the front windows (on a 2-dr JK, not sure how it is on the JKU) is the wind buffeting at speed; I usually leave the back glass open, but that's not always practical. Even sliding rear windows like the retrofit kit you came up with would help, but (and we've discussed this before) I would love it if they could pop open like minivan rear windows. Even if they were manually opened, I'd be happy!
The new window company I met with the other day makes a bunch of interesting styles besides the swing-up cargo windows I posted a photo of - they do manufacture a swing-out vent window for pickup caps so the same thing could be done for Jeep hardtops although I don't know if there would be enough demand to make it worthwhile to put them in production. They have agreed to do the swing-up cargo windows for Retrofit Offroad so let's see how the demand for those goes and maybe more window styles could be put in production.

Or a removable upper barn door window that I could store inside when away from home. Someone (*cough*FCA*cough*) needs to license your ideas and bring them to market already!! ;)

If a company or person is interested in putting the barn door (and the soft barn door upper) in production I'll be happy to explore it with them.

With the new model, Jeep had the chance to rethink the hardtop. Aside from the sliding sunroof option (which is neat, but not an option I would want), they've stuck with the same design as the JK, which is (relatively) heavy and awkward to remove without assistance and limits airflow through the cabin. 90% of the time I run my soft top sans windows, but I'd love to be able to do this with my hardtop for when we get an unseasonably nice day during the rest of the 9-10 months of the year when my hardtop is on. ?‍♂️

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Sometimes I wonder about you and James at the company get togethers, "Universal Exports". ;)
If I told you, I'd have to kill you :).

Remember the Lake Palace from the movie Octpussy? Took this photo last summer from the rooftop of my hotel in Udaipur.

LakePalace2_zpsj7ym79rm.jpg

My hotel in Udaipur was in the palace on the shore of the lake, this is the view out the Lake Palace from the hotel room window.

LakePalace3_zpszn7as1yc.jpg

Enough about me and James Bond, now back to Jeeps ;)

Jurfie

Adventurer
The factory JL hardtop can be converted to modular in the same way that the factory JK hardtop can so if someone really wants removable sides but doesn't have that option from the factory it is possible to convert the top... https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/converting-a-factory-jk-jku-hardtop-to-modular.160775/

Oh, I know. But I wouldn't do that for the same reason I won't do it on my current JK: lack of skill and fear of messing it up! My point is that Jeep could have redesigned the top to be modular from the factory. If it was an upgrade over the standard hardtop, I would tick that option box.

The new window company I met with the other day makes a bunch of interesting styles besides the swing-up cargo windows I posted a photo of - they do manufacture a swing-out vent window for pickup caps so the same thing could be done for Jeep hardtops although I don't know if there would be enough demand to make it worthwhile to put them in production. They have agreed to do the swing-up cargo windows for Retrofit Offroad so let's see how the demand for those goes and maybe more window styles could be put in production.

Same point as above. I just think that if Jeep made it a feature from the factory, it would solve a problem that annoys some (many?) of their customers. I'd be more inclined to trade up to the JL if there were some smart upgrades that I think I would appreciate every day (aside from those improvements already made). Perhaps they're saving some of those added features in their back pockets to release in the future to keep the JL fresh over the next 10-12 years and keep people buying new.

If a company or person is interested in putting the barn door (and the soft barn door upper) in production I'll be happy to explore it with them.

If only! Maybe Jeep's position is to leave it to the aftermarket industry. It's part of the "Jeep Thing" anyways. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz