Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

Coby65

Observer
Very cool concepts you are working on. Your design ideas are very impressive!

Maybe you change the title of the thread to "Musings of a Fiberglass Madman"

grimbo

Explorer
This thread keeps getting better and better. The concept up a few posts on the White JKU with the rear cargo panels is swaying me to buy a JKU, now just need a company to make them and sell down under

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This thread keeps getting better and better. The concept up a few posts on the White JKU with the rear cargo panels is swaying me to buy a JKU, now just need a company to make them and sell down under

Thank you.

Here's another "digital install" of a Safari Cab on a white JKU, this one's on the awesome Expeditions West/Overland Journal JKU. This concept drawing also has cargo hatches on the sides...

Overland3_zpsubsdowbj.jpg

An unedited photo of the very cool Expeditions West/Overland Journal JKU:

WhilteJKU3Overland_zpsjwrqm58p.jpg

steve_r2

Love the Safari cab idea.....and would personally go with the cargo hatches in the side for easy access .
Great work...if this comes to market I'm in ! :)

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
OverlandPanel1_zpshmfjjzbm.jpg

That's it.. have the top affixed, No windows.. allowing the half door to be open or closed to gain access to items in the back seat.

Hum.. Lets suppose I have a couple of air tanks.. can round pockets be placed in this blank area as to allow for these tanks to be securely placed within these pockets.. Not like mounting the the tanks on the side of the panels.. but creating a pocket so the tanks fit flush or semi flush with the body. maybe even a small pocket to allow for fire extinguishers..
Oh that would be cool.. have the small half doors open laying down with a table/work bench etc mounted on them..

This is what I had in mind for my panelwagon concept....a clean simple utilitarian conversion for the JKU.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Besides the barn door and the JK Safari Cab, I've been working on a few JK hardware projects. I posted about the heavy-duty tailgate hinges a while ago, they're in the left photo below. Also in that photo is the CB Antenna Mount for the hinges and in the center photo is the HiLift carrier that mounts to the hinges

JKTailgateSystem1_zpsynuzvbzj.jpg

In the photo on the right is a heavy-duty spare carrier I've been working on. It's stronger than the factory carrier and it also has multiple mounting positions, so it can be installed to carry the spare at the stock height, or for larger spares it has a second set of mounting holes so it can be mounted higher on the tailgate to allow more clearance to the bumper. Also part of it is an adjustable third brake light bracket that uses the factory light unit, but adjusts so it hold the light high enough for larger spares.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Where did you order the side sliding windows from?? Thanks Ivan

Can you tell me where you purchased the side sliders from?? thanks Ivan

I'm helping a Jeep accessories company that wants to get JK half door slider windows to market, and in the process of working with the window companies on price quotes for those windows, I managed to get a set of sliders for the hardtop from one of the companies. Unfortunately these companies don't do retail, they generally require a minimum order of 20-25 windows (so 10 left + right sets). It may be that the Jeep accessories company will also be interested in marketing sliders that retrofit into JK hardtops, I'm don't know for sure yet.

If you wanted to order one-off windows, you could try either http://www.motionwindows.com/ or http://easyrvwindows.com/, but be aware that standard windows from those companies don't work well in Jeep hardtops because those windows require a flat mounting surface and the window mounting surface of the Jeep hardtop is curved in both directions. Standard windows installed in a hardtop will either bind or not slide open at all. I've worked up a retrofit kit that deals with the curves and allows standard windows to be installed in the Jeep hardtop, so if the company I'm helping decides to bring hardtop windows to market, they'll also do the retrofit kit.

greggNJ

Observer
I found this interesting...
Jeep concept vehicle : the Jeep Africa

6cfc3858ba03f2ec7891eba005f88e41.jpg
2994b0841774018ae392473d5f71b6b9.jpg

2a2456979fad8605567feeefd1230b45.jpg

Supposed to be at the Easter Jeep Safari

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I found this interesting...
Jeep concept vehicle : the Jeep Africa

6cfc3858ba03f2ec7891eba005f88e41.jpg
2994b0841774018ae392473d5f71b6b9.jpg

2a2456979fad8605567feeefd1230b45.jpg

Supposed to be at the Easter Jeep Safari

I like it - I'll be at Easter Jeep Safari and I'm looking forward to seeing it in person. Of course they omitted a number of key features of the Safari Cab, such as the opening side windows, the swappable hard sides/roll-up soft sides, the Alpine windows in the roof, the windows on either side of the barn door...

TwoConcepts_zps072eed8c.jpg

But they did include a barn door:

AfricaRear3_zpsyb3dyuzk.jpg

SafariBarnDoor_zpsmjbj4hyd.jpg

And they did also include the side mount jerry can holders like mine :)

CaliforniaPass2_zps82a6c03c.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles