Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've worked up an animation showing the various Safari Cab side configurations I'm thinking about. Shown in the anim (it might take a few seconds to load) are the full soft side configuration (sides and back), both rolled up and rolled down; a soft sides/hard rear configuration with the barn door off and on, and the full hard side configuration with slider windows.

ConfigAnim2_zpss9t2zdc0.gif

I can post any of the images separately if anyone wants to see them as still images or has questions/comments/criticisms of any of the configurations and wants to discuss them further.

JCDriller

Adventurer
I can't belive someone hasn't picked this up yet. I'd love the barn door and I'm sure many others would like the whole top. I'm still dreaming of the Ursa Minor top with the barn door. Such a nice set up, I'd opt for a slider in the back and skip the wiper but that's just me. Lots of soft tops without wipers getting along just fine and i love the open air feel when the rear glass is up, a slider would be perfect.

Have you considered making rotopax mounts for the JK that sit between the door and fender. I wonder if the smaller cans would fit?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I can't belive someone hasn't picked this up yet. I'd love the barn door and I'm sure many others would like the whole top. I'm still dreaming of the Ursa Minor top with the barn door. Such a nice set up, I'd opt for a slider in the back and skip the wiper but that's just me. Lots of soft tops without wipers getting along just fine and i love the open air feel when the rear glass is up, a slider would be perfect.

I haven't been trying to get anyone to sign up to market the JK Safari Cab. But two companies have contacted me about it, and I had several discussions with both of them. One of the companies wanted to start right away on the barn door to offer that to people with factory hardtops or Ursa Minor camper tops, and they said they'd want to do the Safari Cab as soon as I finished up the molds.

I've told both companies I'll decide if I want the JK Safari Cab to be a commercial product after I finish the molds and get the first prototype installed on a Jeep; and that I also didn't want to commit the barn door to anyone at this point, I want to wait on that as well. I really don't know at this point if I want to go to the trouble to work with a company to make the Safari Cab or the barn door a commercial product.

About the wiper, I would definitely want a wiper on my personal barn door window, I use the wiper on my LJ Safari Cab barn door window a lot in the winter up here in the salt belt. If the barn door/Safari Cab gets to production whatever company does it can decide what options to offer; I'll design all of the options and prototype most of them; what would get to market would be their decision. The first thing to do is to finish up the molds and the prototype and the optional details to my satisfaction.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Have you considered making rotopax mounts for the JK that sit between the door and fender. I wonder if the smaller cans would fit?

I have considered it. I've got a preliminary design for both a spare-mount and a hinge-mount Rotopax carrier, and I've done a little preliminary work on a side-mount Jerry carrier and rotopax carrier.

There really isn't enough room on the JK between the back of the front flare and the front door to fit either, so you either need to do what Jeep did on the Africa and do a custom can with a tapered bottom, or do a custom flare with a pocket in it for the bottom corner of the can, or mount the can high enough so that there's room. None of those options are as nice as what I've done for the TJ/LJ unfortunately, and I haven't decided what I want to implement or even if it's worth doing yet.

+1 I'd rather see the rotos, I'm not positive but aren't the rotos about the same size? and can be used in the jerry can holder/mount?

It turns out that two Rotopax containers fit nicely in the can tray I've designed for the spare-mount and TJ side-mount jerry can carriers, here's a quick sketch.

rotopax1_zpsqev3azpp.png

I've worked up an animation showing the various Safari Cab side configurations I'm thinking about. Shown in the anim (it might take a few seconds to load) are the full soft side configuration (sides and back), both rolled up and rolled down; a soft sides/hard rear configuration with the barn door off and on, and the full hard side configuration with slider windows.

ConfigAnim2_zpss9t2zdc0.gif

I can post any of the images separately if anyone wants to see them as still images or has questions/comments/criticisms of any of the configurations and wants to discuss them further.

Love it. Wish it was available.... Somebody really needs to pick this design up, and produce it.

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
It turns out that two Rotopax containers fit nicely in the can tray I've designed for the spare-mount and TJ side-mount jerry can carriers, here's a quick sketch.

rotopax1_zpsqev3azpp.png
I do like the plastic rotos as compared to the metal jerry cans.. But I believe in my version, the rotors or the ATV longer rotor's would be best suited in the highrock storage tray.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Love it. Wish it was available.... Somebody really needs to pick this design up, and produce it.

Thank you. Once I finish up the JKU prototype (and possibly a 2dr prototype) I'll start thinking about whether or not I want a company to sign up to produce and market it.

Jurfie

Adventurer
Has anyone actually cut open an OEM hardtop?

I'm tempted to break out the sawzall :bike_rider: and make some custom roll up side windows (as inspired by jsherb's awesome concepts) but I'm not certain that would be a good idea (nor do I think m'wife would appreciate it without knowing the outcome). From everything I've read online says they are "composite" panels, but that doesn't necessarily mean fiberglass. They seem to be plastic sandwich panels glued together. I was hoping I could make modifications with fiberglass...:coffee:

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
Jurfie.. I think you're feel growing pains in the knowing that Jeep themselves maybe introducing these tops, before jeff does his.. Proof of this at moeb as we speak.. and if the jeep wrangler safari is actually very desirable.. Jeep may continue with the production of these.. I just see this happening.. wait too long to get your products out.. someone else will come along and steal your money.. and I agree.. having dealt with a fiberglass home back in the 70's I can relate to what you're saying.. Comments like yours are ones sway me from having to wait so long for someone to produce their own products, when I could have it made in less time with the right contacts.. I'm not speaking badly about Jeff or his concept.. but time is running out..

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Has anyone actually cut open an OEM hardtop?

I'm tempted to break out the sawzall :bike_rider: and make some custom roll up side windows (as inspired by jsherb's awesome concepts) but I'm not certain that would be a good idea (nor do I think m'wife would appreciate it without knowing the outcome). From everything I've read online says they are "composite" panels, but that doesn't necessarily mean fiberglass. They seem to be plastic sandwich panels glued together. I was hoping I could make modifications with fiberglass...:coffee:

You could make modifications with polyester resin that's typically used with fiberglass, but you're taking a chance that the joints you make will not bond permanently. Jeep tops are made of SMC, which is a fiberglass variety that includes integrated mold release in the resin, so ordinary polyester resin doesn't always reliably bond to it. If you attempt this, use an SMC-compatible resin rather than ordinary polyester resin. You could also use epoxy resin, but it's a lot more expensive than SMC-compatible resin. Also be aware that the factory tops have inner and outer shells, at least in the roof section, so depending on where you make your cuts, you may have gaps between the shells to fill in.

None of this is meant to discourage you, it's a reasonable project to think about doing, you just want to use the right materials and I'd recommend having a design worked out before cutting.

Last edited:

Jurfie

Adventurer
Hey, if Jeff licenses this to an aftermarket manufacturer, or if Jeep adds this as a feature/option on future models, I think that would be great. I believe it will be the former (for the JK, at least), and the latter (for the next model). I think the Safari top concept is great, but realistically a ways out from bringing a production model to market. And, depending on the company who does produce these, it may not be available to everyone; for example, the TJ/LJ Safari top that Jeff licensed to GR8 Tops...they won't ship it, so you'd have to go to Florida (I believe) to get one fitted at their plant/shop. Not convenient for people on the west coast (like me).

In the meantime, the most appealing feature for me is the roll-up side windows with a hard top. If I could modify my existing OEM top to incorporate this feature, that would be the cat's ********. Then eventually custom fabricate some hard-side panels for winter months. Why not just run the soft top with the side windows out and rear window rolled up? I could, but that isn't unique. And I like unique, even if that means more work just for the sake of being different. I'd also like to incorporate a roof rack attached through the roof to the roll bar, like Jeff's LJ. I'd like to be able to carry a couple of 17' long sea kayaks on the roof, without buying a Gobi-style exterior rack/cage.

The first thing I'm going to do (once it gets warm enough to put my soft top back on) is look into modifying my soft side windows to roll up. The way the sides tie into the door surround (with a fairly rigid plastic channel sewn into the fabric) makes it impossible to roll them up like the back window (I think; I haven't tried it for fear of damaging the channel). I plan to add a vertical zipper between the channel and the plastic window.

But realistically, I probably won't do any of this...I'm more of a thinker than a doer. I'm in awe of people that have the skills (and gumption) to try a custom fabrication. But ya gotta learn and start somewhere, right? We'll see. :ylsmoke:

JeepSafariDigest

Seeker of Lost Trails
That sounds more plausible. to simply cut off the top portion of the factory top and install the safari cap. Then one wouldn't have to waste time having to make the sides etc. Perhaps leaving an edge which the safari caps bolts into/onto.

Jurfie

Adventurer
You could make modifications with polyester resin that's typically used with fiberglass, but you're taking a chance that the joints you make will not bond permanently. Jeep tops are made of SMC, which is a fiberglass variety that includes integrated mold release in the resin, so ordinary polyester resin doesn't always reliably bond to it. If you attempt this, use an SMC-compatible resin rather than ordinary polyester resin. You could also use epoxy resin, but it's a lot more expensive than SMC-compatible resin. Also be aware that the factory tops have inner and outer shells, at least in the roof section, so depending on where you make your cuts, you may have gaps between the shells to fill in.

None of this is meant to discourage you, it's a reasonable project to think about doing, you just want to use the right materials and I'd recommend having a design worked out before cutting.

Thanks Jeff, I figured you'd chime in; much appreciated! All I need is to find a cheap hard top to experiment with...but even used they are pretty spendy. Might have to see if I can find a damaged one at a wrecker.

My thought was to cut along the seams visible on the exterior. Then use a modified soft-top door surround to attach the front edge, and (somehow) attach a zipper along the top and rear. Yes, there would need to be some additional structural support for the top, given that it is bolted at the side rail, but...details, details. ;)

I do have some construction design/engineering experience, so I'm not completely in the dark. We'll see. :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz