Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

Jurfie

Adventurer
I did a quick photo-edit of a couple of the photos to show what the bag might look like in black. I left the leather straps brown.

TrashHopperLJ1Black_zpsh8lr9v7v.jpg

TrashHopperLJ2Black_zpsdzr0y1xd.jpg

Black looks a lot better on the LJ so I'll have to sew a black one for the LJ and use the Spice one on the JKU.

Thar looks fantastic! I agree with you about the aesthetics of other trash bags on the market. The bonus of this one is that curious passerbys will get a surprise when they try to steal what is inside!?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I did some photo editing to create a few concept images showing other features I could add to the bag. In this first image I've added Molle webbing to the side and face of the bag:

TrashHopperMolleConcept_zpsyxnqynjt.jpg

In this next one I've left the side Molle webbing and put a pocket on the face:

TrashHopperMolleAndPocket_zpsorq5ld5x.jpg

What do people think? Leave the bag plain or add one or more of these features? When I sew a black one for the LJ I may add either Molle or pockets to it.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
What about plastic buckles on the closer straps?
That's part of the original design. I wanted the high style of the leather straps but the ease of use of plastic clip buckles, so I hid the clips under the straps. That way the straps can be used to adjust the tightness of the lid, but access is quick by undoing the clips. If you look closely at the original pictures I posted you can see the clips under the straps ;)

TrashHopperStraps_zpsohrib2qj.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I got a text from the lead Jeep mechanic at the local dealer this morning - they're cleaning out their storeroom and wanted to know if I wanted a bunch of soft tops and related parts. Of course I said yes so I donned my N95 mask and drove over there. I lost count but I think there are 6 soft tops in the pickup, at least two of which are the premium twill version. On the bottom of the pile are two brand new JK spare tires on the same wheels that I have on my JKU. I gave them $20 each for the tires on wheels and they gave me all the soft tops and parts for nothing.

SoftTops1_zpsvswr0pgx.jpg

SoftTops2_zpsbnl4vptx.jpg

I'll as I unload the truck I think I'll remove all of the fabric from the hardware and probably toss the hardware, I really don't have any room to store that but the fabric rolls up nicely for storage. Probably will keep all the windows too, they'll probably be useful for other projects.

I think I'll make the spare tire bag for the LJ out of twill since I've got that fabric now.

jgaz

Adventurer
I did some photo editing to create a few concept images showing other features I could add to the bag. In this first image I've added Molle webbing to the side and face of the bag:

TrashHopperMolleConcept_zpsyxnqynjt.jpg

In this next one I've left the side Molle webbing and put a pocket on the face:

TrashHopperMolleAndPocket_zpsorq5ld5x.jpg

What do people think? Leave the bag plain or add one or more of these features? When I sew a black one for the LJ I may add either Molle or pockets to it.
If I was buying one I’d prefer the addition small pocket on the front AND the Molle grid on the sides.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
If the soft tops came with the plastic "door surround" pieces I'm sure people would appreciate you selling or giving them away rather than tossing them. Everyone is always hunting for them!

-Dan

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Final count is 5 soft tops. Two JKU premium twill, one complete with side and rear windows; One JK 2dr premium twill with side and rear windows; Two standard JKU tops, one with side and rear windows; plus a bunch of other random related parts and hardware. I'll keep a complete JKU twill top for possible use on my JKU, the other 4 tops will be disassembled for the fabric.

This is one of the JKU twill tops:

TwillJKUTop_zpsmeqcr3sa.jpg

I'll save the one in that photo for possible use on the JKU if I ever remove the Safari Cab hardtop. The other JKU and JK twill soft tops will provide enough fabric to make a spare tire trash bag for the LJ and a set of soft sides + soft barn door for the LJ - my current soft sides and soft barn door are made from standard soft top material and I think the premium twill will look better with the black LJ.

Checking the LJ parts layout on the fabric; there's plenty left over for the spare tire trash bag:

TwillFabricLayout_zpsafh32oqy.jpg

Last edited:

Zeep

Adventurer
Nice touch on the buckles.
Even better score on the spare parts. I wonder if any of my local dealers are cleaning house?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
When I was sewing the Spice bag the other day I found this on eBay for $15 including shipping, I thought I might sew a second one in Spice so I picked this up for the fabric. It's a TJ version. Fedex just delivered it, it looks like it's never been out of the box. There's enough fabric here for one bag but I'll try to think up something else to make out of it - anyone got any ideas?

SteelHorseSpice_zpsk6guy53o.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
After unstitching all of the seams and running the fabric through the washer and dryer, this is what a JK 2dr plus a JK 4dr yields. There are several large pieces, a bunch of small pieces and edge binding, some zippers and Velcro and a little bit of scrap. After washing the fabric looks like new.

PremiumFabric_zpso1i3amd8.jpg

The next step is to lay out the pieces to determine the optimum cutting plan, even though I got the soft tops for free it's expensive fabric so I want to make the best use of it. I've laid out the parts for a new set of roll-up sides panels and soft barn door for the LJ plus a black spare tire bag. Also I've got a few minor improvements planned for the spare tire bag, those aren't accounted for yet in the drawing below.

FabricLayout_zpsxejatcgg.jpg

I need a few materials before I can sew either project so I'll place orders with a few vendors for supplies and when the supplies arrive I can begin work.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Whats up with the JL style grill for the JK? Where can I get one?
Two weeks ago I participated in a phone call between the company that's going to be selling the grille and the plastics company that is manufacturing it - topics included the final choice of plastic for molding them, packaging, shipping, etc., so they're getting very close. I'm pretty much out of the picture now, it's in their hands. I suspect the stay-at-home situation in the state where the manufacturer is will delay final release a bit.

I posted photos of the most recent "production candidate" grille they sent me here: https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...factory-hardtops.127687/page-289#post-2755944. I've had that grille on my JKU since I received it a month ago and it's been doing just fine, although with the stay-at-home I haven't driven too many miles.

JLJKGrilleFinal2_zpsoqbnj6cg.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I made one small enhancement to the bag design this morning - the lid now has sides so it closes a little nicer.

LidSides_zpsedder2eq.jpg

I've got a few more enhancements planned but I'll add them to the next (black) bag I sew, just waiting for a few supplies I ordered to arrive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94