Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Following Jscherb lead I thought I would try to build a platform on the 60% side of the rear seat.
I still need to redo one of the brackets but this is what I came up with.
Nicely done! Do you plan some sort of structure for the plywood lid to prevent warping?

14JKURX

Observer
Thanks
I plan on putting a couple of strips on the underside of the lid but I ran out of material. I only used what I had here at home I also plan to replace the hinge.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
There's an active thread right now on the subject of temporary/removable tailgate tables. That thread has got me thinking about several designs for removable table designs but rather than hijack that thread I'll post about it in this thread. The original thread is here: https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/temporary-tailgate-table.216511/

I've got two different design ideas - Design 1 would slip over the tailgate and not require any other attachment to the tailgate. Design two would use existing holes in the JK and JL tailgates for thin mounting rails that the table assembly would slip into, not unlike the clip-on tables that are part of the MORryde trail kitchen.

The benefit of Design 1 is that there is nothing to install - the table would simply slip over the tailgate. Design 2 would store in less space because the brackets that go over the tailgate wouldn't be needed.

One other feature of both designs is that unlike "fixed" tailgate tables, since this one doesn't have to fold up against the tailgate so that the tailgate can close, the brackets will allow for multiple table heights. The table could be positioned at the bottom of the tailgate like conventional tailgate tables, but could also be attached in the middle or at the top, and the mounting brackets (or hooks) could be designed for mounting the table at multiple heights.

An inspiration for Design 1 is a folding marine ladder. These have hooks on top that fold flat for storage and unfold to hang over the gunwale of a boat. The ladder pictured below has 4 steps, 2 of which unfold, so imagine those bottom steps are the table and are set up so they only unfold 90 degrees. The shape of the hooks would be very different for a tailgate table because the tailgate is much thinner where a ladder would have to hand on a boat, but the fold-flat idea would be the same.

1593718576455.png

An inspiration for Design 2 is the Trail Kitchen, which has optional clip-on tables. I don't have the Trail Kitchen in a Jeep or trailer at the moment, so here it is on a the cart I keep it on when it's out of the Jeep to demonstrate a clip-on table and clip-on stove:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I went to a local fab shop this afternoon and scrounged a piece of 16-gauge 304 (food grade) stainless steel to make a prototype removable tailgate table. As soon as I get some time I'll build a prototype of "Design 2" - the design that uses mounting rails attached to factory holes in the tailgate. Once that's done, I'll do a "Design 1" prototype, which will use the same table parts but will hang on the tailgate with hooks.

1593808289276.png

Attachments

• 1593808279058.png
    1593808279058.png
    147 bytes · Views: 23

SBSYNCRO

This is great. I’m thinking that the design 2 will be really slick! Great idea using existing holes to create a frame!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This is great. I’m thinking that the design 2 will be really slick! Great idea using existing holes to create a frame!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm looking forward to building it. The design I've come up with allows for four different mounting heights for the table so for tall people like me putting the table near the top of the tailgate will be very handy. Hanging the table will be as easy as hanging the clip-on table that's part of the Trail Kitchen (I showed a video of that in the other thread, I'll repeat it here). I've also got a few ideas for other things that could attach to the mounting rails which I may also prototype.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The table and braces are cut and bent and I've got most of the parts except for a few bits I'm waiting on McMaster for, hopefully those bits will arrive tomorrow or Wednesday and I'll get the table assembled.

1594068272118.png

SBSYNCRO

So handy to have an extra JK tailgate just laying around. :) I'm excited to see how this turns out, but I know it will ultimately be painful because I won't be able to get one! ;)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
So handy to have an extra JK tailgate just laying around. :) I'm excited to see how this turns out, but I know it will ultimately be painful because I won't be able to get one! ;)
If I'm happy with the prototype, I'll show it to several companies that could be interested, so perhaps it will become a product. Seems to me that a removable table is something that many people would find useful.

UPS tracking says they'll be delivering the hardware bits I need today, so the new table should be finished and ready for testing by tomorrow sometime.

I've got several extra tailgates (and other various model Jeep parts) here for design purposes - when I designed the other tailgate table I was able to do it so that the same parts fit the JK, TJ/YJ and JL tailgates...

1594119068038.png

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I finished the first prototype removable tailgate table. This version uses mounting rails that attach to the tailgate using factory holes in the tailgate - no drilling. The table can be mounted in six different positions:

1594482273943.gif

Here's a demo showing how it clips in place:

The table folds flat for storage when it's off the tailgate:

1594482332695.png

Next I'll do a version that hangs over the top of the tailgate without needing mounting rails to be attached to the tailgate.

Attachments

• 1594482274618.gif
    1594482274618.gif
    2.5 MB · Views: 18

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I sewed a storage bag for when the table is off the tailgate. The bag is made from Arctic vinyl, good for down to -30f.

1594654954751.png

1594654970443.png

I've got one more accessory to make before I call this project done - I'm going to do a Molle panel that attaches the same way the the table does. Photos to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles