Bearing Maintenance

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Just posted some Bearing Maintenance information at http://www.atreport.com/bearing&hub.html

Gives a 3 different ways to correctly adjust the bearings;
Feel and Drag Method
Torque Wrench Method
Dial Indicator Test

To get a lifetime of service out of your trailer re pack and inspect!

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Martyn:

Suggestion: make these maintenance suggestions info downloadable pdf files...

:sombrero:

Martyn

DaktariEd said:
Martyn:

Suggestion: make these maintenance suggestions info downloadable pdf files...

:sombrero:

Ed

I'm self taught on the web page construction, so I'm learning all the time but have a long way to go.

I can make a pdf of the document but I'm going to have to teach myself how to correctly reference it and upload it to the website.

When I get more time I'll experiment with it and see if I can get it to work.

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
maintence

Thanks for the heads-up! I try to make my Jeep and trailer maintence items an annual event. I use January as the month to pull the Jeep into the shop and drain, clean and re-plenish fluids in my diffs, and transfer-case. On this occasion especially, I pull the rear drive-shaft off to check and grease the zerks that I can't reach in my CV joints (the one's a 1/4" little bolt in the U-joint). This is a good time to ensure the action is smooth and not loose at any angle. I check the torgue on the suspension lower and upper arms and lower shock mounts as well.
My trailer gets it's receiver ball greased to ensure for a smooth action an less noise. Great time to not only to service the bearings but check brake pad health and retorgue U-bolts and check bushing health.
I sounds like a bit of work but it pays in real dividends out on the trail in trouble-free service.
I suspect many of you do the same.;)

Whoknows

Observer
Thanks!

Really good info. Great addition to the website. Suggestion: this amateur needs pics for the bearing maint. directions to make sense.

Martyn

Whoknows said:
Really good info. Great addition to the website. Suggestion: this amateur needs pics for the bearing maint. directions to make sense.

That's a good point, unfortunately it's a very hard thing to get pictures of, just dull metal on dull metal. (I'll work on getting some good pictures) A video would work better for documenting this. I have attached a exploded view of the typical bearing set up.

The process of removing the hub, re-packing it, replacing the inner seal, and putting it all back together on the hub is a relatively simple task. First time it's best to do with someone who has already done it. But once you have seen the process it's easy to replicate.

The thing that throws everyone is the final adjustment of the bearings so they are not too tight and not too loose. This document really addresses that issue. Unfortunately no amount of detailed pictures can address this.

Apart from running a wheel bearing with out any grease the second cause for bearing failure is a badly adjusted bearing.

Last edited:

Whoknows

Observer
diagram

Thanks Martyn. The diagram is really helpful.........covers really what I'd need to attempt it. Think I'll put in my order for some of the spares recommended.

Martyn

Whoknows said:
Thanks Martyn. The diagram is really helpful.........covers really what I'd need to attempt it. Think I'll put in my order for some of the spares recommended.

A slight difference with your Horizon would be the brake hub. The hub is removed the same way, but be careful of contaminating the brake shoes or the inside of the hub with grease during the process.

I usually wear disposable gloves and change them between the re packing and the re assembling stages so there is no transfer of dirt, grease etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke