Beating a dead horse, but.... Hiking boots?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Leather will last far longer than synthetics. They are easier to clean and maintain with something like Nikwax or Obermans.
I still don't think so. Don't get me wrong, I love me some leather, but modern synthetics, particularly when protected with heavy rands and reinforcements...pretty darn tough. With the latest crop of boots built with no exposed seams, they're even more durable.

I think it's these generalizations that don't hold up. A leather boot can be made from premium leather like Idro Perwanger Rough-out, or it could be made with leather peeled from crapped out old dairy cows, which is pretty common. Likewise, not all synthetics are the same.

perterra

Adventurer
I still don't think so. Don't get me wrong, I love me some leather, but modern synthetics, particularly when protected with heavy rands and reinforcements...pretty darn tough. With the latest crop of boots built with no exposed seams, they're even more durable.

I think it's these generalizations that don't hold up. A leather boot can be made from premium leather like Idro Perwanger Rough-out, or it could be made with leather peeled from crapped out old dairy cows, which is pretty common. Likewise, not all synthetics are the same.

I think when you get into high quality, it's pretty hard to beat synthetics. They dont dry out in harsh environments, and they dont stretch out of shape when worn wet. They offer the support of a heavy leather boot at a fraction of the weight. But I have found if you get a poor fit, they arent very forgiving. The material may be thin, but it is very strong

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Not necessarily. People want light boots without sacrifice and as glorious as Mr. Cow's skin is, modern textiles and materials can often provide a more durable, supportive, and comfortable boot and that runs the gamut from ultra-light trail runner to full blown summit boot, and everything in between.

As an example, I've nearly walked the first sole off my Trango Cubes and the uppers look exactly like they did when I pulled them out of the box. Easily resoled, btw. And now there is an even lighter version with more flex. http://www.sportiva.com/men-s/men-s-footwear/trango-trk-gtx.html

Besides the limited selection at Rei where can you go to try on nice boots like this?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Besides the limited selection at Rei where can you go to try on nice boots like this?
Well...that's another nut to crack and another discussion. We have so dismantled brick and mortar retail in our modern age, I can't claim to have an answer to your question.

justbecause

perpetually lost
zappos has free shipping and free returns.
my salomon came with a free return label.

You can offer customers perks like that when you arent paying rent at dozens of locations and 100s of people to keep the doors open and the lights on.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER

Totally agree.
The quality of leather used for boots has a pretty broad range.

That said, after having a few pairs of chinese boots including Vasque and Danner literally fall apart on me, I pushed to Lowa's

Huge improvement in quality and materials, and besides a couple of popped stitches in the past 5 years, nothing but praise for Lowa.
Even if I do ever change to another boot MFG, Im pretty sure Ill have to demand a leather inner.
The leather inner on the Lowa's I've got are a game changer....

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Well...that's another nut to crack and another discussion. We have so dismantled brick and mortar retail in our modern age, I can't claim to have an answer to your question.
And even if REI had them they wouldn't have my size to try on. I'm impressed that they offer both a 48 and a 48.5 ---- but neither in stock....

Global conspiracy against the tall.

krax

Adventurer
Not necessarily. People want light boots without sacrifice and as glorious as Mr. Cow's skin is, modern textiles and materials can often provide a more durable, supportive, and comfortable boot and that runs the gamut from ultra-light trail runner to full blown summit boot, and everything in between.

As an example, I've nearly walked the first sole off my Trango Cubes and the uppers look exactly like they did when I pulled them out of the box. Easily resoled, btw. And now there is an even lighter version with more flex. http://www.sportiva.com/men-s/men-s-footwear/trango-trk-gtx.html

What was the process for the resole? I.e. turn-around time from Sportiva?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
What was the process for the resole? I.e. turn-around time from Sportiva?
Few boot manufactures do their own resoling, but that's not an issue. There are plenty of places to have it done. I use The Rubber Room in Bishop, CA. Turn around is usually less than a couple weeks if you're smart and don't wait until peak season.

https://www.rubberroomresoles.com

I will say, I'd probably have to put 500-750 miles on these soles to even consider a resole. Modern rubber is pretty damn durable.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
We are lucky enough to have a boot cobbler right in town.

Resoles there are typically $60-$80

krax

Adventurer
Few boot manufactures do their own resoling, but that's not an issue. There are plenty of places to have it done. I use The Rubber Room in Bishop, CA. Turn around is usually less than a couple weeks if you're smart and don't wait until peak season.

https://www.rubberroomresoles.com

I will say, I'd probably have to put 500-750 miles on these soles to even consider a resole. Modern rubber is pretty damn durable.

Oh cool. I thought they only did climbing and approach shoes.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
And even if REI had them they wouldn't have my size to try on. I'm impressed that they offer both a 48 and a 48.5 ---- but neither in stock....

Global conspiracy against the tall.

From what I understand that's 48" right bill? I think you can walk in winter without snowshoes. like my son. ha ha ha. I have been beating on my timberlands since I bought them, waterproof, solid, very comfortable and tough. I cannot complain about them at all. If they die tomorrow, that's over a year with them.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
From what I understand that's 48" right bill? I think you can walk in winter without snowshoes. like my son. ha ha ha. I have been beating on my timberlands since I bought them, waterproof, solid, very comfortable and tough. I cannot complain about them at all. If they die tomorrow, that's over a year with them.
14 in the US, 13 UK, 48 or 48.5 in Europe, depending on who makes it.

I'm looking at these: https://www.inov-8.com/us/trail-running/roclite-325-gtx-mens-trail-running-shoes-black
Could be the perfect overlanding boot. Flexible for the clutch, good traction for mud.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I know...I was kidding...yeah you have the same size foot as my son....his buddy has 17's. like walking around with two waterski's strapped to your feet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne